Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

A little bit of misleading info on MileagePlan?

Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG

So in the current inflight magazine it has an article about award travel with tips. The following are two that seem a bit misleading:

"Package into a single booking your connecting flights on Alaska or Virgin America with your international-flight award"

and

"Memebers have the option to mix and match partner airlines, take a different airline for each leg of the trip."

Thoughts? Maybe changes coming???
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Leg=direction not segment.

Once VX is AS, the other component comes true. So that statement is a bit premature.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:10 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
"Package into a single booking your connecting flights on Alaska or Virgin America with your international-flight award"

I think this is reasonably accurate: you get a Alaska / Virgin connector to your Cathay, or BA, or Fiji, or Emirates flight. . .
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:22 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73

I think this is reasonably accurate: you get a Alaska / Virgin connector to your Cathay, or BA, or Fiji, or Emirates flight. . .
VX is still treated as a partner for award purposes, so you actually can't at the moment.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

Originally Posted by jinglish
VX is still treated as a partner for award purposes, so you actually can't at the moment.
XXX-LAX/SFO on VX and SFO/LAX-Mexico/Costa Rica on AS?

(Alternately, LAX/SFO-SEA on VX and SEA-YVR/YYC/YEG on AS. )
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Probably just jumped the gun, or the possibility is coming sooner than later
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
XXX-LAX/SFO on VX and SFO/LAX-Mexico/Costa Rica on AS?

(Alternately, LAX/SFO-SEA on VX and SEA-YVR/YYC/YEG on AS. )
It's AS + 1 partner. So in your examples, VX is the 1 partner you're allowed.

BZE-AA-LAX-AS-SJC is allowed
BZE-AA-LAX-VX-SFO is not allowed

SEA-AS-SFO-AA-MIA is allowed
SEA-VX-SFO-AA-MIA is not allowed
Old Aug 3, 2017, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by channa
It's AS + 1 partner. So in your examples, VX is the 1 partner you're allowed.
Right.

So "Package into a single booking your connecting flights on Alaska or Virgin America with your international-flight award" isn't inaccurate given that both VX (CUN) and AS (Canada, Mexico, Costa Rica, Cuba) have international flights you can package into an award with a combination of AS/VX flights... you just can't package Virgin America with an Alaska partner yet.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:36 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by jinglish
Fair point.

Interesting to note that for the Companion 2 for 1's they seem to allow AS - VX - AS to ticket. At least they are displaying on the availability screens for flights; I haven't attempted to ticket one yet.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 12:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Fair point.

Interesting to note that for the Companion 2 for 1's they seem to allow AS - VX - AS to ticket. At least they are displaying on the availability screens for flights; I haven't attempted to ticket one yet.
It will ticket.

This part has been integrated well.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fair point.

Yeah most discount certs work on VX. What's odd is that wallet funds cannot be used on VX.
Old Aug 5, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by channa
Yeah most discount certs work on VX. What's odd is that wallet funds cannot be used on VX.
This seems to have changed recently. I was given the option to use AS wallet funds for a VX flight recently...
Old Aug 6, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
This seems to have changed recently. I was given the option to use AS wallet funds for a VX flight recently...
That's great to hear. That was not the case as of about 10 days ago.

^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.