Alaska Delayed/Canceled Compensation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: AS 1MM/MVPG, AS Lounge, DL SkyClub (Life), Hertz 5* -- AA, DL, UA
Aug 1, 2018
SEA-SFO AS 1748
5 hrs late
$250 discount cert

I didn't know this thread existed till now, and didn't post sooner, elsewhere.

Cascade of troubles:
1. after boarding, pilot took sick
2. after some delay, announcement that replacement pilot not available for 2 hrs - all deplane.
3. back to AS Lounge, where - when flight was ready - no announcement of that till I inquired.
4. all on board - then tech/mech trouble appeared, resolved?
5. flight taxied - more mechanical, so back to gate
6. maintenance checked: trouble existed, but aircraft was operable, so taxi again and FINALLY, takeoff
7. at SFO, at gate, boarding door would not open - at least 10 min more delay

Possibly long delay in getting new pilot was due to Airbus: how many pilots would be available @ SEA? As it happened our replacement was grabbed off an inbound flight and put right back into the cockpit.
As to compensation, pax adjacent got a text that $50 was coming - that was while we were still sitting at SEA gate. I never saw that - just the $250 cert.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:02 pm

Posted this in the AA forum the other day, but now realizing should probably have gone here...thoughts are welcome.

I booked a ORD to DFW to LHR 1st class flight using Alaska miles on AA metal Was meeting up with my buddy in DFW and we were scheduled to be on the same flight to LHR...and I always wanted to fly 1st international as it would have been my first time.

...but, ORD to DFW flight was delayed in such a way I would have missed my connecting flight. Don't remember the reason given. I was given option to fly direct to LHR in business class (don't have 1st class in any AA ORD planes to LHR direct). Took it. I ended up getting a pretty substantional amount of miles credited to my AA account for the flight. For kicks, I contacted Alaska aftet the flight to see how they handled these types of situations - and whether they normally issued partial refunds as I flew Business and not 1st. They put me on hold and came back to tell me that it was the same amount of points on that day of travel to fly either class. Seemed contrary to what I had seen on Alaska site historically.

Is there a standard procedure for how this is normally handled?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I think the agent is getting confused between Business/First and First on the AA chart. Just to confirm, you paid 85,000 for First on a three class flight and flew Business on a two class flight? If so, you're due a refund of 27,500 miles difference. I'd call back and ask for an escalation to a supervisor if the second agent says the same.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
I think the agent is getting confused between Business/First and First on the AA chart. Just to confirm, you paid 85,000 for First on a three class flight and flew Business on a two class flight? If so, you're due a refund of 27,500 miles difference. I'd call back and ask for an escalation to a supervisor if the second agent says the same.
I booked back in Aug 2017, so I was charged 62,500 Alaska miles one way (presumably it's increased since then, right?). And I​​​​​​I was indeed booked into 1st on 777-300ER for the DFW to LHR flight. But flew business on 787-9 ORD to LHR
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by mstrbldr
I booked back in Aug 2017, so I was charged 62,500 Alaska miles one way (presumably it's increased since then, right?). And I​​​​​​I was indeed booked into 1st on 777-300ER for the DFW to LHR flight. But flew business on 787-9 ORD to LHR
Ah! Didn't realize it was booked off the previous chart. In that case, I'd ask for the difference off that one ( 12,500 = 62,500 - 50,000), although you might end up with the difference between what you paid and the current two class Business chart (5,000 = 62,500 - 57,500).
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:45 pm

Ah! Didn't realize it was booked off the previous chart. In that case, I'd ask for the difference off that one ( 12,500 = 62,500 - 50,000), although you might end up with the difference between what you paid and the current two class Business chart (5,000 = 62,500 - 57,500).
Thanks for that. I'll call them and see what a supervisor can do for me.

BTW, they wouldn't be able to tell that I was awarded tons of AA miles for the rerouted trip, right? Hate to somehow have that reversed.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
What is the minimum delay that would prompt you to request compensation? Assuming no missed connections. 1-2 hours? 3 hours? 4 hours?
Does AS have a minimum delay time policy before giving compensation or is it agent dependent?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by mstrbldr
Thanks for that. I'll call them and see what a supervisor can do for me.

BTW, they wouldn't be able to tell that I was awarded tons of AA miles for the rerouted trip, right? Hate to somehow have that reversed.
I don't believe AS has visibility into AA's customer care. Since you didn't purchase the ticket from AA, whatever they're throwing at you is a goodwill gesture for the inconvenience. Your refund from AS is the difference between what you paid and what you flew.

Originally Posted by philemer
What is the minimum delay that would prompt you to request compensation? Assuming no missed connections. 1-2 hours? 3 hours? 4 hours?
Does AS have a minimum delay time policy before giving compensation or is it agent dependent?
Three hours is AS's care commitment. If it's less than that & there was some other related issue or you missed an important meeting, go ahead and write in. My impression is, at least in the past, AS would throw a discount code at you but they're never going to pay Big 3 level comp.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ab...ent-delay-care
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

Three hours is AS's care commitment. If it's less than that & there was some other related issue or you missed an important meeting, go ahead and write in. My impression is, at least in the past, AS would throw a discount code at you but they're never going to pay Big 3 level comp.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ab...ent-delay-care
And speaking of which, last week I had a WN delay LAX/OAK, caused by a minor item that an FAA inspector found awaiting departure. Total departure delay approx. 90 minutes. Total arrival delay (due to schedule padding) approximately 65 minutes. 2 days later, a shocking $200 voucher arrived in my inbox. Excellent, and "above and beyond" preemptive response. From WN. On an under-60 minute airtime flight.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:35 am

Thanks!!

Last edited by mstrbldr; Oct 23, 2018 at 6:49 pm
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:20 pm

~4.5hr MX delay, loss of confirmed at booking F (upfared instant upgrade), and 24 hour delay to final destination. Proactively sent $100 discount code per person.

Meal vouchers were issued for the entire party rather than individually, which reduced the utility a bit.
Response from customer care a week later, $100 discount code was appropriate amount for the delay. But also in same email, offered $300 discount code or 13,000 miles p.p. Really would love to see the compensation matrix.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Response from customer care a week later, $100 discount code was appropriate amount for the delay. But also in same email, offered $300 discount code or 13,000 miles p.p. Really would love to see the compensation matrix.
Wow. No words. Hope you booked with a card that has good travel delay ins.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
And speaking of which, last week I had a WN delay LAX/OAK, caused by a minor item that an FAA inspector found awaiting departure. Total departure delay approx. 90 minutes. Total arrival delay (due to schedule padding) approximately 65 minutes. 2 days later, a shocking $200 voucher arrived in my inbox. Excellent, and "above and beyond" preemptive response. From WN. On an under-60 minute airtime flight.
Perhaps WN had changed its philosophy on compensation recently. In the past, I have had quite a few WN flights that were 1hr+ late for non-weather reasons or outright cancelled. I have never been proactively offered compensation in any of these cases.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:23 pm

I don't believe AS has visibility into AA's customer care. Since you didn't purchase the ticket from AA, whatever they're throwing at you is a goodwill gesture for the inconvenience. Your refund from AS is the difference between what you paid and what you flew.
Great news!!!! After the initial representative tried to blow me off again, the supervisor I was able to speak with issued me the refund of 12,500 after I provided the ticket number on the re-booked business class flight. The points went back into my account on the original date of booking as a "special services mileage adjustment."

Really appreciate your advice.
rustykettel likes this.

Last edited by dayone; Oct 26, 2018 at 7:58 pm Reason: Fix quote.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:37 pm

SEA-KOA AS843.

We diverted to PDX (really? talk about topping the plane off) from SEA because of incredibly strong head-winds. Alaska sent me an email with a $75 dollar voucher.

Overall it was about a 2 hour delay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.