Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Delayed/Canceled Compensation

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2022, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Kamiakdad
On May 7th I flew from PAE-SNA but the flight was delayed 1.5 hours for mechanical issues, the flight Horizon flight crew automatically compensated us $75 + 3000 RDM. Because of the delay we flew into a lightning storm and was hit by lightning and had our plane diverted to PDX to change plane and resulted in another 1.5 hour delay.. AS automatically sent us $150 discount coupon for this "disruption". Do you think the latter is enough compensation for putting passengers at risk by flying into a lightning storm ? What does FT community think is fare compensation in this case?
Since you asked, I think your conjecture that they were "...putting passengers at risk by flying into a lightning storm" and expecting compensation for that are both off the mark. I'm all for extracting everything you can for AAG disruptions caused by management ineptitude, but this isn't that.
Old May 18, 2022, 8:18 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Frontier Elite100K
Part of the initial delay from PAE was for lightning. After the mechanical issue was resolved the plane was held up about 10 minutes for lightning to clear before take off. Shortly after takeoff we were struck by lightning and flight diverted. Does this make any difference?
Old May 18, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Kamiakdad
Part of the initial delay from PAE was for lightning. After the mechanical issue was resolved the plane was held up about 10 minutes for lightning to clear before take off. Shortly after takeoff we were struck by lightning and flight diverted. Does this make any difference?
None.

AS is in a perfect storm (operationally) right now, but lightning is not a part of that particular mess.
jerry a. laska and samosa like this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 7:52 am

What is a normal response time from customer care?

My flight was delayed from 5/5 to 5/6, exactly 24 hours. I read that somebody was sent compensation even before landing of the delayed flight. Alaska did not send any compensation proactively, so I emailed them a few days later and never heard back, is this normal?

How long I should wait to hear from them? What kind of compensation I should expect from them?

Please advise, thanks.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: Alaska 75k/One World Emerald
Originally Posted by lililolo
My flight was delayed from 5/5 to 5/6, exactly 24 hours. I read that somebody was sent compensation even before landing of the delayed flight. Alaska did not send any compensation proactively, so I emailed them a few days later and never heard back, is this normal?

How long I should wait to hear from them? What kind of compensation I should expect from them?

Please advise, thanks.
When I emailed customer care a couple of weeks ago a note said they were currently taking up to three weeks to reply. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if it's taking longer since they had a rough May.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 11:58 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Already compensated $300 for a canceled SFO-KOA to a SJC-KOA. Was told the the ticket price was also lower and that they "had to send that to accounting" to get the fare difference back" to me. It probably is perhaps $50 to as much as a $100 price difference (it was an F ticket) but still waiting for the fare change compensation now almost 2 months. Anybody else have to do this and if so is this delay appropriate?
Old Jun 4, 2022, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
Already compensated $300 for a canceled SFO-KOA to a SJC-KOA. Was told the the ticket price was also lower and that they "had to send that to accounting" to get the fare difference back" to me. It probably is perhaps $50 to as much as a $100 price difference (it was an F ticket) but still waiting for the fare change compensation now almost 2 months. Anybody else have to do this and if so is this delay appropriate?
I don't know what an appropriate wait time is for this, but two months seems excessive for an inquiry they've already started actively working on. I'd send a follow up and make sure it didn't fall through the cracks when they passed it on to accounting.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 4:05 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Alaska MVP Gold 75k
Originally Posted by SFOTechie1994
Cancelled flight from SFO -> PHX due to crew not showing up for work (no communication or updates from the Gate until 30 min after scheduled departure). We were rebooked on United and arrived at our destination 3 hours late. Proactively provided a $150 voucher from an automated system. My companion (AA Elite but no status on Alaska) was offered nothing.

I experienced additional expenses (had to pay for checked bags on united, surge uber for late night arrival, and dinner at airport), which more or less were equal to the value of the voucher. Did not get any RDM or EQM since I was rebooked on another airline.

Reached out to customer care about the extra expenses and EQM. Will here update based on what they say.

I have a lot of upcoming travel booked on Alaska and considering cancelling if the operational issues don't abate soon. — Some of the stories in this thread with long delays, poor communication from gate, and delays of multiple days aren't exactly encouraging.

Following up on my past message here. CS took about a month to respond, but they provided reimbursement for all expenses mentioned after I provided a receipt and the EQMs I would have earned otherwise.

Have folks felt the operational issues are slightly better? Had a trips to the East coast (2x in early May and then again this week), and *fingers crossed* haven't experienced a delay or cancellation yet. Curious if I got lucky or if things got better.
pcoll likes this.

Last edited by SFOTechie1994; Jun 7, 2022 at 4:22 pm
Old Jun 12, 2022, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Are those of you getting EQMs for cancelled flights getting them for very short notice cancellations (like 1 or 2 days) or longer? I just had a flight cancel that is in two weeks so wondered what (if anything) to expect.
Just received compensation for this issue....our PDX-LAS nonstop back in May was cancelled with two weeks notice and no email notification (just happened to see it show up on the app). My wife and I are both 75K and were on separate reservations. She got $75 and I got $100. I wonder how much discretion Customer Care agents have when assigning compensation--we are both 75Ks traveling on the same flight in the same fare class--only difference was our gender.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 3:57 pm

Just received compensation for this issue....our PDX-LAS nonstop back in May was cancelled with two weeks notice and no email notification (just happened to see it show up on the app). My wife and I are both 75K and were on separate reservations. She got $75 and I got $100. I wonder how much discretion Customer Care agents have when assigning compensation--we are both 75Ks traveling on the same flight in the same fare class--only difference was our gender.
The difference in compensation is interesting. I'm still waiting to hear back about a similar issue (my flight was canceled two weeks in advance and the new flight was extremely inconvenient). My boyfriend and I were on separate reservations also so it will be interesting to see if we get different amounts, too.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:15 pm

Programs: AS
This is exactly what we have experienced, more than once.
It has happened enough to conclude this is the only factor between PNR’s.
Mr. Collins gets $100 in Wallet along with apologies, thanks for loyality to AS.
Mrs. Collins gets letter offering apology and nothing more.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
This is exactly what we have experienced, more than once.
It has happened enough to conclude this is the only factor between PNR’s.
Mr. Collins gets $100 in Wallet along with apologies, thanks for loyality to AS.
Mrs. Collins gets letter offering apology and nothing more.
Do Mr. and Mrs. have the same status?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 10:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Is there a consensus as to how long of a delay triggers some compensation/action by AS? I had a weather (waiting for de-icing) and then mechanical (some type of "warning light") delay that was a total of about 4 hours. Next flight was a 2 hour delay due to a variety of things but mainly a plane stuck in our gate with a mechanical issue and didn't hear or get anything. So, I guess in my experience it's somewhere between 2 and 4 hours.... anyone have any additional ideas or experiences?
Old Jun 13, 2022, 11:15 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by mtofell;[url=tel:34333975
34333975[/url]]Is there a consensus as to how long of a delay triggers some compensation/action by AS? I had a weather (waiting for de-icing) and then mechanical (some type of "warning light") delay that was a total of about 4 hours. Next flight was a 2 hour delay due to a variety of things but mainly a plane stuck in our gate with a mechanical issue and didn't hear or get anything. So, I guess in my experience it's somewhere between 2 and 4 hours.... anyone have any additional ideas or experiences?
I have no clue and I have been in a lot of delays.

90 min delay after landing at SEA, automatically received $200 while still on the plane. Whereas 180 delay prior to boarding at HNL $0 automatic and only $50 after contacting CC.

👋🏻❤️
pcoll likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 9:58 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by SeaLuggageLover
Do Mr. and Mrs. have the same status?
Yes,
Identical status and miles in accounts. We have traveled together the last 6 years. Sometimes on same PNR , sometime separate .
.when this has happened, separate PNR’s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.