Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Revisiting benefits of BA companion pass hypothesis as a 75K

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum

I am revisiting the benefits of BA companion pass as a 75K. Does the pass (spending 30K on Chase card) make sense or is it better to buy Premium Economy on BA, credit the miles to AS and then get an upgrade using Avios.

A PE seat from LAX-LHR RT usually costs around $1,300, or just around $2.5K for two tickets -- not counting one off sale and benefits of Chase card and AARP credit. An upgrade on RT for two would be around 80,000 Avios. But I also get more than 50,000 Alaska miles on the two tickets -- so that's equal to about $1,000 in benefits plus me and my wife get around 15,000 Alaska EQM each.
So, for around $2.5K and 120K Avios, I get a total of at least 50K Alaska miles, 30K in total EQMs...counting these benefits, net cost would be under $1.5K.

Compare this to around $2.5K in taxes for two business class tickets and 125K Avios. Where the companion pass most of the time makes sense is getting first class tickets.

Is my understanding correct or am I missing something?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:55 pm

BA Avios upgrade from Y+ to J is 25K one-way per-person in high season, 30K in low season. So, 100K to 120K roundtrip upgrades for 2 LAX-LHR. The comparison is most favorable in high season at 100K Avios for the 2 roundtrip upgrades.

Compare to BA J award ticket in high season at 150K Avios + $1250 each taxes.
With companion pass, would be 150K Avios + $2500.

So, yeah BA Y+ at $1300 roundtrip is a no-brainer.

Companion pass makes sense only in first or longer-trip in J like LAX-LHR-CPT.

Award inventory is the same in either scenario.

The problem I have is that $1300 Y+ fares tend to be loaded only ~10 months out while award J inventory is gone at ~11.5 months out.

Last edited by Colin; Jul 23, 2017 at 10:06 pm
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Colin
BA Avios upgrade from Y+ to J is 25K one-way per-person in high season, 30K in low season. So, 100K to 120K roundtrip upgrades for 2 LAX-LHR. The comparison is most favorable in high season at 100K Avios for the 2 roundtrip upgrades.

Compare to BA J award ticket in high season at 150K Avios + $1250 each taxes.
With companion pass, would be 150K Avios + $2500.

So, yeah BA Y+ at $1300 roundtrip is a no-brainer.

Companion pass makes sense only in first or longer-trip in J like LAX-LHR-CPT.

Award inventory is the same in either scenario.

The problem I have is that $1300 Y+ fares tend to be loaded only ~10 months out while award J inventory is gone at ~11.5 months out.
Does it really cost fewer miles to upgrade in high season (25K) versus low season (30K)? That seems strange.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:20 pm

BA Y+-to-J upgrade award price is the difference between the J award and the Y+ award
Zone 6 is relevant here for LAX-LHR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.