Is Alaska starting automatic check-in?

Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Is Alaska starting automatic check-in?

Well, this is a first....just received an email from Alaska Airlines with my boarding pass for my flight this afternoon. It appears that they went ahead and automatically checked me in and sent me a mobile boarding pass. I remember back during my UA days that their system would sometimes check you in automatically, but this is the first time I've seen it on Alaska and frankly, it's not a feature I appreciate.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
UA (and before that CO, I think) did/does automatic checkin for the return segment.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
UA (and before that CO, I think) did/does automatic checkin for the return segment.
Do they still do that?? This isn't even a return segment. I called since I've never seen it before and yes, it appears I was checked-in by Alaska...weird...I sent note saying that I didn't really appreciate this new "feature".
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
UA stopped a few years ago.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
UA stopped a few years ago.
Last November-ish, according to Auto Check-In is Gone
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Hmmm. I'm flying tomorrow and did not get auto-check-in.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Maybe they decided to launch this on a soft roll out on a few routes instead of advance F meal ordering
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
If this was like VX where you lose the option to do things (e.g. seat upgrade) after check-in, I'd understand the downside.

But given that we can go through the web check-in flow again (e.g. to SDC or upgrade purchase), why would this be unwelcome?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:38 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
How does AS deal with checked bags and auto check in?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Quail
If this was like VX where you lose the option to do things (e.g. seat upgrade) after check-in, I'd understand the downside.

But given that we can go through the web check-in flow again (e.g. to SDC or upgrade purchase), why would this be unwelcome?
It auto checked me in AND changed my seat....thankfully my original seat opened back up and so I re-checked myself in and got my seat back...I just prefer checking myself in rather than have it be automatic, especially when seat assignments are not maintained.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
It auto checked me in AND changed my seat....thankfully my original seat opened back up and so I re-checked myself in and got my seat back...I just prefer checking myself in rather than have it be automatic, especially when seat assignments are not maintained.
Ahh that makes sense (and it would bother me too!)

Pure speculation, but I wonder if you were in a seat that required some sort of confirmation, i.e. an exit row? Maybe they couldn't assume a "yes" response and changed the seat to not require your input?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.