FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Schedule change put me in coach on a FC saver award ticket (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1854250-schedule-change-put-me-coach-fc-saver-award-ticket.html)

Jimgotkp Jul 16, 2017 8:01 pm

If AS didn't ask VX to open up additional award space due to what happened then definitely shame on them. Every airline for the most part has liaisons who help deal with such issues. Look at previous threads/posts on this very forum and you will hear of liaisons at AS requesting other airlines such as CX/JL/etc. to release additional space due to certain reasons. In many cases, this always works. If the liaisons are able to work with airlines such as CX/JL/etc. but not with VX then that's another problem as well.

If I were the OP and wanted to spend some time on this, I would contact MP Customer Service and let them know about your experience.

Yellowjj Jul 16, 2017 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 28568158)
Any carrier can force space on its own metal. Fare buckets are artificial assignments and so long as there is any availability, not only DL, but UA & AA will force space as well. AS would have forced space on its own metal.

But, carriers can't force others to do this and all they can do is ask. What AS did not do for OP is ask.

Actually even though my original flights were VX, I inquired about AS metal flights as well. SEA-FLL & even SEA/PDX-MCO. Was told no go.

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 28567964)
Not this early in the merger, I wouldn't expect that at all. At similar stages in the DL-NW or UA-CO mergers, I think expectations like this would have been the very least of the concerns.

It's a fair assumption and question, but you have to understand a couple of things about AS's corporate culture:

1) Their agents aren't used to IRROPS or issues inherent with running a large, complicated route network (like cancellations or schedule changes that create problems with connections), so things that are second-nature to UA or DL agents are not often encountered or thought of by AS agents, and

2) While AS agents are very friendly and cheery, they are hired more for their friendliness and cheeriness than their actual problem-solving skills. I've long found that AS agents are less willing to bend or break policy, even for high elites, than other airlines. As a 75K, I was quite often very apologetically and sympathetically told no, whereas as a UA 1K, my issue was frequently resolved quickly and competently, even if the attitude was a little more gruff and no-nonsense. Obviously, there are exceptions at both carriers, but that was my general perception after many calls to both.

In any case, yes, you probably would have benefitted from specifically asking the agent to look into either requesting that VX force space open or reminding them that it was their actions, not yours, that caused the schedule issue and that they should be able to put you in any seat on their own metal regardless of fare class. No guarantee it would have worked, but specifically asking them that or asking if a supervisor can assist would have increased the chances of getting the desired end result.

Thanks jackal. I'd honestly been on the phone for a hour at that point and the thought of requesting a supervisor didn't enter my head.]

The agent was extremely nice just as you mentioned, but seemed I don't know, to need a little guidance. Never had a schedule change that required major fixing with AS before so just assumed there agents were like the legacies own in fixing it.

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 28568268)
My question was about the original routing, not the rerouting.

Nope and I never would have chosen it. I would have routed DAL-ATL-FLL.

The only reason I chose that route on AS is because that's all they had. They are severely lacking on the east coast. Only options for getting to Florida out of DAL involved LAX/SFO/SEA. Since I was going to be near DAL and it's a easier airport to get through and saver F was available, I figured why not.

Yellowjj Jul 16, 2017 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp (Post 28568600)
If AS didn't ask VX to open up additional award space due to what happened then definitely shame on them. Every airline for the most part has liaisons who help deal with such issues. Look at previous threads/posts on this very forum and you will hear of liaisons at AS requesting other airlines such as CX/JL/etc. to release additional space due to certain reasons. In many cases, this always works. If the liaisons are able to work with airlines such as CX/JL/etc. but not with VX then that's another problem as well.

If I were the OP and wanted to spend some time on this, I would contact MP Customer Service and let them know about your experience.

I contacted them on twitter and basically..

http://i68.tinypic.com/15etojr.jpg

My Response

http://i64.tinypic.com/24cv7np.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/2lo2j4m.jpg

beckoa Jul 16, 2017 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by pharmawalk (Post 28568098)
AS partnerships always seems like a shtshow to me. It seems like they just don't care to have things work smoothly with their partners.

When AS' partners all use different res systems, one 'simple' change in the code can throw off reservations.

This is compounded by the number of partners.

I've got a theory there is *some* common ground across global alliances and there is (look at fare classes and being aligned, whereas with AS, it varies)

Not trying to make excuses, and this tangent does go outside the purpose of the OP's thread.

PDXPremier Jul 16, 2017 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Yellowjj (Post 28568917)

So what was the response (if any)?

Jimgotkp Jul 16, 2017 11:19 pm

Going to their Twitter team isn't smart. Call the MP Customer Service desk instead and escalate to a supervisor. As much of a fan I am with AS, I think they didn't handle this correctly especially with their very close relationship with VX.

Yellowjj Jul 16, 2017 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier (Post 28568985)
So what was the response (if any)?

If I had asked for a supervisor and then crickets. Angel never replied back and my guess is she simply didn't know what else to say, other than Alaska dropped the ball.

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp (Post 28569079)
Going to their Twitter team isn't smart. Call the MP Customer Service desk instead and escalate to a supervisor. As much of a fan I am with AS, I think they didn't handle this correctly especially with their very close relationship with VX.

I canceled the ticket so I'm not sure how the MP Customer desk can help now?

I mean I'm still with-in my cancellation period for the American flight I booked, so are you saying if I call there's a chance they can re-instate my ticket properly?

PV_Premier Jul 17, 2017 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Yellowjj (Post 28569167)
If I had asked for a supervisor and then crickets. Angel never replied back and my guess is she simply didn't know what else to say, other than Alaska dropped the ball.

I canceled the ticket so I'm not sure how the MP Customer desk can help now?

I mean I'm still with-in my cancellation period for the American flight I booked, so are you saying if I call there's a chance they can re-instate my ticket properly?

The twitter team's supervisor isn't going to be able to help you, that's the whole point. If you want help, you need(ed) to call the AS Reservations line. AS isn't a huge company, but it's big enough that not everyone who works in customer service has access to every system to help you. Twitter team isn't going to touch a reservation like this.

I'm assuming the AA flight you booked is nonstop DFW-FLL. Is DFW so much more inconvenient than DAL-LAX-FLL? :confused:

I assume there is some allure of VX F that makes you want to spend an extra 6 hours in it versus an AA plane.

Yellowjj Jul 17, 2017 9:25 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier (Post 28570362)
The twitter team's supervisor isn't going to be able to help you, that's the whole point. If you want help, you need(ed) to call the AS Reservations line. AS isn't a huge company, but it's big enough that not everyone who works in customer service has access to every system to help you. Twitter team isn't going to touch a reservation like this.

I'm assuming the AA flight you booked is nonstop DFW-FLL. Is DFW so much more inconvenient than DAL-LAX-FLL? :confused:

I assume there is some allure of VX F that makes you want to spend an extra 6 hours in it versus an AA plane.

At this point, I'm just leaving it as is. Yes I'm on the nonstop DFW-FLL on AA.

The only reason I chose VX was because I was going to be near DAL and DAL is simply a more easier airport to deal with. Of course AA doesn't fly to DAL, so VX it was. That routing was all VX had; if they had any meaningful north to south presence on the east coast, I would have chosen something else. A DAL-DCA-Florida would have been better.

missamo80 Jul 17, 2017 10:47 am

The best Twitter reps would have been able to do is to tell you to call customer service. Unfortunately Twitter reps can't do ticketing/reservation stuff :(

Neil

beckoa Jul 17, 2017 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by missamo80 (Post 28570996)
The best Twitter reps would have been able to do is to tell you to call customer service. Unfortunately Twitter reps can't do ticketing/reservation stuff :(

Neil

Agree with AS, twitter is extremely limited unlike other airlines.