Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Million Mile Program

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by Angoon
Hi BECKOA: I made the LIH reservation in June 2017. I hit approx 990,000 miles in October, had 998,500 miles hit account 2 weeks ago. Never any question I’d hit 1,000,000 on return flight from LIH. Never made any changes to original reservation. On the flight tonight I mentioned to FA (so I could get free meal) / showed her my app / that I was hitting 1,000,000 miles. She was very nice, immediately very red-faced/she and other FA seemed embarrassed they weren’t aware. In any event, they were very nice, gave us free meals, chocolates, etc., kept asking if there was anything else we wanted, etc. I appreciated their sincere appreciation for the obvious years of business. However, the complete lack of AK Air acknowledgment, though, is - I think - a sad marketing failure on the AK Air “system’s” part (to ensure the system recognizes a customer is about to hit a significant milestone/and ensure a real person thanks the customer in real-time for many years of loyalty and business). Oh well, I appreciate Alaska Airlines doing an overall awesome job of flying me (and my family) safely all over Alaska and the continental US (and Hawaii) for the past 25 years - and otherwise operating the best airline in the Universe. Thanks.
That is sad. I'll acknowledge your achievement, congratulations! Sounds a lot like my process.

When I hit a million in 2015, I got an email from the Managing Director of Loyalty Marketing and Customer Advocacy the day before the qualifying flight:

Dear dave1013:

On behalf of the entire Alaska Airlines family, thank you for being one of our
most loyal fliers. Our reservations system indicates you’ll reach 1 million
flight miles with us on an upcoming flight. Shortly after that flight, we will
send you a gift commemorating this important milestone.

Please email us back and let us know the best mailing address for you.

All of us at Alaska Airlines sincerely appreciate your flying with us over the
years and can’t wait to welcome you to Million Mile status. Congratulations on
this upcoming milestone!

Got a lot of unsolicited attention on the flight, too.

Relatively speaking, there's not that many MM's and the recognition tradition should not be left to fall by the wayside. I hope this is not one of the programs that's been sacrificed due to the merger. It's something that made flying AS special.

Last edited by dayone; Feb 3, 2018 at 2:25 pm Reason: Removed PNR in quote.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt
Thanks very much, Dave.

I’ve seen speculation as to how many MM’s there might be - and how many new MM’s qualify every month. Whether it’s 20 per month or 200 per month - each MM represents 1,000,000 REVENUE miles accumulated (for the most part) over a very long period of time. From my simple marketing perspective - these are exactly the type of customers AK Air should be going out of its way (I’ll emphasize “going out of its way”) to recognize and thank in real-time.

When you think about it, every airline is essentially operating a series of busses - albeit busses with cool logos painted on the fuselage.

Other than logos, what distinguishes each airline is its respective Courtesy, Accuracy and Timeliness. Assuming most airlines operate their busses with similar accuracy and timelines - the primary remaining qualitative measure is where Alaska Airlines has always excelled: Courtesy.

Under the broad heading of Courtesy: Alaska’s mileage plan is fantastic, and Alaska’s employees - the manner in which
they are empowered to provide sincerely friendly and customer-focused service - are exceptional - every day on every flight (and in every terminal, etc.). Alaska is special and commands loyalty because of the way Alaska’s employees make customers feel about Alaska. Ultimately there are legions of Alaska Airlines ‘employee legends’. Behind the scenes I think the other “legends” are the MM’s who’ve spent years (year after year) choosing to buy tickets on AK Air.

To your point - in part what’s always made AK Air special is the way they’ve made customers feel special. They should be going out their way to recognize / make MM’s feel special.

It’s the little things (why are they hiding cookies?!), seemingly forgetting about MM’s, etc., that start chipping away at the “specialness”. Once the ‘special’ “Courtesy” factor is gone - its just another busline.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by dave1013
That is sad. I'll acknowledge your achievement, congratulations! Sounds a lot like my process.

When I hit a million in 2015, I got an email from the Managing Director of Loyalty Marketing and Customer Advocacy the day before the qualifying flight:

Dear dave1013:

On behalf of the entire Alaska Airlines family, thank you for being one of our
most loyal fliers. Our reservations system indicates you’ll reach 1 million
flight miles with us on an upcoming flight. Shortly after that flight, we will
send you a gift commemorating this important milestone.

Please email us back and let us know the best mailing address for you.

All of us at Alaska Airlines sincerely appreciate your flying with us over the
years and can’t wait to welcome you to Million Mile status. Congratulations on
this upcoming milestone!

Got a lot of unsolicited attention on the flight, too.

Relatively speaking, there's not that many MM's and the recognition tradition should not be left to fall by the wayside. I hope this is not one of the programs that's been sacrificed due to the merger. It's something that made flying AS special.
I never got the welcome email when I made 1MM in August of 2015. I was returning from a convention in MSY, stopping in SEA to fly home to ANC. At MSY they called me to the podium, announced to the crowd that I was about to hit 1MM and given a very nice gift basket of MSY goodies. At about 600 miles into the SEA-ANC flight I actually passed the final mile. I had asked the FA (I was in F with two friends, Beckoa and Scott) to ask the pilot to let me know when we passed through 600 miles so I could celebrate the milestone with my friends. The FA kept coming back to me with the countdown miles. When we passed that point she got on the intercom and announced my milestone and invited the F cabin to join me in a toast. We drank all the bubbly they had on the flight.

A week or so after I got home I got a phone call from the AS Station Manager in Anchorage. He congratulated me and asked if there was a time he could stop by with my 1MM model Airplane. A few days later I had my plane. A couple of weeks after that I got the luggage tags, 1MM card and some other things in the mail.

There are a lot more 1MM's than there used to be. I have heard announcements where there were 2 or 3 of us on a flight. Yes, it would be too bad for AS to sacrifice this celebration of their most loyal Pax.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 3:54 pm

Hi -

I am expecting to hit it sometime in 2022. Hopefully there will something more than a free digiplayer.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by BOB W
In fact, I was in F a while back and asked for the fruit & cheese from the back (the F option was something I was tired of eating) and the FA told me that I basically could have anything I wanted at no charge. Why not? if I was flying in Y I would have gotten it at no charge anyway.
I was in a similar situation recently and the First Class FA told me that I could buy the hot BOB meal - once the FAs in back had completed serving the entire cabin. I mentioned that I'd be happy to pay but couldn't help acknowledging the irony that - as a Million Miler - were I seated in back I'd get it for free. She still charged me for it. At least there was one left.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:53 pm

Hi -

I know I read somewhere that MMers gat a free BOB meal in Y. I can't find it in the list of benefits for elite members though. Is this written down anywhere?
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:55 pm

Google: ‘Alaska Airlines Million Mile Benefits’ .... you’ll find it at the link/url
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:29 am

Hi -

Wow. This is the first I have seen of lifetime 75K for 2 million BIS miles. I would think that AS would want to promote this more somewhere.

Last edited by Orwaid; Feb 4, 2018 at 12:37 am
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:44 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

As of December, 2014, there were 374 Alaska residents who were million milers.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

Wow. This is the first I have seen of lifetime 75K for 2 million BIS miles. I would think that AS would want to promote this more somewhere.
I've seen rumors here on FT of it but first time I've seen it on AS' website.

Our journey continues

After two million miles, giving you lifetime MVP Gold 75K status is the least we can do.

See Gold 75K benefits
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-million-miler

I wonder, is there now a 2M mile progression bar for currrent Million Milers?

Last edited by rustykettel; Feb 4, 2018 at 2:29 am
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Ask BOB W - I’ll hit MM in April 2019. Not sure I’m up for the challenge of the next MM.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:46 am

[QUOTE=rustykettel;29377389

Yes. Google: “Alaska Airlines Million Mile Benefits” and click on the url

I wonder, is there now a 2M mile progression bar for currrent Million Milers?[/QUOTE]
Old Feb 5, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by lalala
Ask BOB W - I’ll hit MM in April 2019. Not sure I’m up for the challenge of the next MM.
With just under 1.2 MM I do not have a countdown bar to 2MM. I do have it on good authority that 2MM does give you MVPG/75K for life. I have not heard of any other benefits.

And you need to let me know which flight you will be on. It would be fun to fly with you on that flight. (and TH's flight also)
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:35 am

I remember the 1MM bar did not appear until after you had 300K (or something like that).
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:19 am

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by Orwaid
I remember the 1MM bar did not appear until after you had 300K (or something like that).
Definitely no longer the case. Here's my mom's account:

She only has 991,212 miles to go. At this rate, she'll have it in just a handful of millennia!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.