Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS and AA Partnership Changes (Effective 1 January 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Link to Official AS Blog Post

Major points from this thread and from missydarlin:

• Effective Jan 1, 2018, domestic AA-marketed flights will not earn any Mileage Plan miles. AS-marketed, AA-operated codeshares will continue to earn AS miles at the AS earning rate (ie a minimum of one mile earned per mile flown). Domestic flights marketed by other partners (eg BA) and operated by AA will no longer earn AS miles. Post-Jan 1 flights booked prior to Jul 6, 2017 may be submitted for mileage credit.
  • International AA flights (including US-Canada and US-Mexico) will continue to earn AS miles. Domestic AA flights which connect to international flights will not earn miles. It will remain impossible to book international AA-operated flights through Alaska to get an AS codeshare or an AS-operated domestic feeder flight.
  • Reciprocal elite status benefits (waived checked bag fees, preferred/MCE seat assignments, priority boarding) between AA and AS go away Jan 1, 2018. Seat assignments made prior to Jan 1 for post-Jan 1 flights will remain.
  • The reciprocal lounge access arrangment between AA and AS will not change.
  • AA will remain a mileage redemption partner of AS with only relatively minor tweaks to the award chart (some increases, some decreases).

Link to share your feedback with Alaska Airlines:

https://www.alaskaair.com/feedback

Discussion in the American Airlines forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...an-2018-a.html
Print Wikipost

AS and AA Partnership Changes (Effective 1 January 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by dayone
The executives at AS and AA are smart people. They know what they are doing.
Re: AS... there are plenty of "smart" AA and AAA-league baseball managers who nonetheless get slammed senseless if and when they make it to the majors.

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I can tell you that AS is very aware of the issues it will be facing, and it's trying to find a solution as best as it can.
As this thread indicates, there just aren't many options besides whittling their target market way back and struggling to exploit their little west coast niche. Bigger airline + fewer loyalists = alarming prospects.

Originally Posted by tphuang
why in the world would AA allow AS to enter OneWorld? That would just give more people the chance to qualify flying AA/BA to earn their status and not work on building status directly with AA.

AA is not here to help AS or AS MVPs.
Fair point, I'm afraid, although it works against me.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 11:58 am
Suspended

The self check-in AA terminals already think the AS partnership is gone.
Wanted to check a bag on an AA flight this week and the terminal demanded I pay $25. I refused and went to the check-in desk. The desk agent also wanted to charge me $25 initially, but when I insisted and showed her the AS partners webpage I was good to go without paying.
Alaska14k likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K Aeroplan 25K HHonors Gold Marriott lifetime Plat IHG Plat Hertz Pres Club
Originally Posted by BOSTravels
Wanted to check a bag on an AA flight this week and the terminal demanded I pay $25. I refused and went to the check-in desk. The desk agent also wanted to charge me $25 initially, but when I insisted and showed her the AS partners webpage I was good to go without paying.
This is not a good sign of things for the rest of 2017.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Interesting. In CDG on Monday, the kiosk offered me a second checked bag for free as an MVP Gold (though I only had one, so it was irrelevant).
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
As this thread indicates, there just aren't many options besides whittling their target market way back and struggling to exploit their little west coast niche. Bigger airline + fewer loyalists = alarming prospects.
Well, they certainly have thinned the ranks of those AS elites who only flew DL and AA, which doesn't really mean much to AS. The problem will be those who do fly AS, who relied upon DL and AA for flights to places where AS/VX or other partners don't fly. The effect remains to be seen.

I've honestly been splitting my business for years now, although I've been AA Gold for the past couple of years (and will NOT be next year due to the $$$ required).
Old Aug 3, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by getoffthe grid
This is not a good sign of things for the rest of 2017.
This happened to me at PWM well before the partnership changes were announced, FWIW. Had no issues getting an agent to waive the fee.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I just booked a one-way next week on AA from LAS-PHX (have an open jaw on AS by design) on-line. When I removed my AA FF# (believe me I an not a frequent AA flyer) and replaced it with my AS MVPG# I was able to book a sweet seat in MCE (no row in front) for free and got 2 free checked bags too. I don't think some of their reps are in tune with the current benefits.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:31 pm

I'm starting to see a few more AS-marketed, AA-operated flights now. For instance my corporate travel can now book MKE-ORD as AS4003 (AA3119) when combined with AS23 from ORD-SEA. That option wasn't there a week ago, so it's an improvement for sure.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Alaska's website thinks the partnership benefits are already gone as well.

I booked a flight from SNA - PHX in October, it wouldn't let me choose any of the preferred seating. Guess I'm going to have to call AS or AA to try to get a non-terrible seat.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by nearlysober
Alaska's website thinks the partnership benefits are already gone as well.

I booked a flight from SNA - PHX in October, it wouldn't let me choose any of the preferred seating. Guess I'm going to have to call AS or AA to try to get a non-terrible seat.
I don't think you've ever been able to select preferred seating on AA through Alaska's site. You have to go to American's site in order to select those seats.
pbelmore likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Has anybody who is a Gold booked a flight on AA after Jan 1 and been able to select a elite seat? I am thinking of booking a flight on AA but only want to do so if I can guarantee a good seat. In the past it took over a day for Gold benefits to be picked up by AA, but I can't cancel after 24 hours.

Edit: Just did a dummy booking, was able to instantly pick a MCE seat. Well, answered my question.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by safari ari
Has anybody who is a Gold booked a flight on AA after Jan 1 and been able to select a elite seat? I am thinking of booking a flight on AA but only want to do so if I can guarantee a good seat. In the past it took over a day for Gold benefits to be picked up by AA, but I can't cancel after 24 hours.

Edit: Just did a dummy booking, was able to instantly pick a MCE seat. Well, answered my question.
As an MVP, I have preferred seats selected for two reservations in 2018 (and even already got MCE on one flight thanks to an aircraft swap). You should be fine.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jinglish
As an MVP, I have preferred seats selected for two reservations in 2018 (and even already got MCE on one flight thanks to an aircraft swap). You should be fine.
I wonder if you will be able to switch from one preferred seat to another after Jan. 1st and if MCE seats will continue to open up at T-24 if the reservation was booked prior to 1/1/18...I guess time will tell....
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
According to the AS website, AA saver first domestic flights go from 32.5K (one-way) to 25K starting today (1/1/18), but they are still showing up as 32.5K. Did the AA/AS partnership changes get delayed?

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...er-overview:AA
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:37 am

I asked via twitter this morning, Jordan @AlaskaAir promised to investigate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.