Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS and AA Partnership Changes (Effective 1 January 2018)

Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Link to Official AS Blog Post

Major points from this thread and from missydarlin:

• Effective Jan 1, 2018, domestic AA-marketed flights will not earn any Mileage Plan miles. AS-marketed, AA-operated codeshares will continue to earn AS miles at the AS earning rate (ie a minimum of one mile earned per mile flown). Domestic flights marketed by other partners (eg BA) and operated by AA will no longer earn AS miles. Post-Jan 1 flights booked prior to Jul 6, 2017 may be submitted for mileage credit.
  • International AA flights (including US-Canada and US-Mexico) will continue to earn AS miles. Domestic AA flights which connect to international flights will not earn miles. It will remain impossible to book international AA-operated flights through Alaska to get an AS codeshare or an AS-operated domestic feeder flight.
  • Reciprocal elite status benefits (waived checked bag fees, preferred/MCE seat assignments, priority boarding) between AA and AS go away Jan 1, 2018. Seat assignments made prior to Jan 1 for post-Jan 1 flights will remain.
  • The reciprocal lounge access arrangment between AA and AS will not change.
  • AA will remain a mileage redemption partner of AS with only relatively minor tweaks to the award chart (some increases, some decreases).

Link to share your feedback with Alaska Airlines:

https://www.alaskaair.com/feedback

Discussion in the American Airlines forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...an-2018-a.html
Print Wikipost

AS and AA Partnership Changes (Effective 1 January 2018)

Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
AS can only issue tickets which contain at least 1 AS segment and does not cross an ocean. On tickets that cross an ocean, only the transoceanic carriers can issue (plate) the ticket.

Travel agents can only issue tickets on AS stock if the ticket does not cross an ocean and the first segment is operated by AS.
Is that just revenue tickets? Because I have a Condor award ticket SEA-FRA-SEA that definitely crosses an ocean, and is definitely on AS stock.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
Is that just revenue tickets? Because I have a Condor award ticket SEA-FRA-SEA that definitely crosses an ocean, and is definitely on AS stock.
Yes, AS can certainly issue long haul award tickets. (No other airline can issue an award redeemed with AS miles.)
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by channa
They definitely can, and sometimes you pass that thru to their website with Google Flights or some other engine.

That said, keep in mind that will result in a fare break in most cases (you pay for the AS portion and the AA portions added up on one ticket), and not all fares allow end-on-end ticketing or combinrability with another carrier (AS's do, AA's do not) so it may not be AA's lowest fare had you split it up.
The End-on-end restrictions that for short time were universal on all but the most expensive AA fares have been slowly going away. There are still a lot of them, but more fares are showing up without them. I just booked an AS-AA ticket with the AA segment in Q. It was availible through both AA and AS with a click through from book with matrix.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Aliquot
I just booked an AS-AA ticket with the AA segment in Q. It was availible through both AA and AS with a click through from book with matrix.
Can you provide us with an example? I haven't been able to get something reasonably priced to come up at all.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by quemalo
Can you provide us with an example? I haven't been able to get something reasonably priced to come up at all.
I was looking at a fare for SFO-SEA-ORD-MCO in Jan where the last leg is a codeshare with AA. In the last week, the price for the one way has dropped from $500+ to $320 to $280. Hoping this is a sign of things to come for codeshares rather than a one off case.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 7:22 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
This change certainly will hurt business travelers, since the AS network is very small compared to the big 3. I remember having to buy tickets on AA website because the AS codeshare flights were so expensive on AS web site. I may have to fly more on DL to get to the East Coast and Southern second-tier cities after this AA relationship downgrade, because I am not a fan of AA, and DL has great coverage in those regions, where AS only flies to a few major cities there.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
The amazing redemption options for AS program are getting a little less amazing by the day it seems. Right now C/F reduction on CX are the only real thing going on for this program, except maybe occasional reductions you see on EK. AS better keep both of them
Old Jul 14, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
The amazing redemption options for AS program are getting a little less amazing by the day it seems. Right now C/F reduction on CX are the only real thing going on for this program, except maybe occasional reductions you see on EK. AS better keep both of them
I would hope no more shoes drop for a very long time ..
Old Jul 14, 2017, 10:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
When AA loses QR redemptions in the near future, it will be the most worthless program on earth.

Http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...074.1499641620
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Maybe all this was going to happen anyway, regardless of the Virgin America purchase. On the outside looking in, it appears the Virgin America deal is not only a big zero for existing Alaska customers, but probably is a massive negative.

But industry consolidation has been in the works. There are the three majors (AA, United, and Delta) and Southwest, and then smaller players like Alaska. So maybe Alaska had to act to preserve itself because the big three is just bigger, so much bigger.

But what I do not get is why Alaska had to divest itself of so many codeshares in this deal.....when United can swallow an entire airline (Continental), and AA (can absorb US Air, which was also an absorption of so many carriers). But Alaska has to divest itself across the board because it controlled too much of LAX after the merger? Sheesh. This is all b.s.

We have to give up connections and tie ins on FF programs? We can let Albertsons and Safeway merge and operate two brands a mile from each other and still operate both stores. We can let Amazon control the world. And regulators are worried about Alaska's tie in with American?

Maybe bigger issues at work and there probably are, but dang, Alaska is going to suck big time for awhile before it hopefully gets better again.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would not say it is a big fat zero or a negative. I live in the Bay Area and it was very hard being an AS flyer as just about had to route everything through SEA or PDX. VX opened up a LOT of routes out of the Bay Area. Sure, for now it is hard getting recognition as an AS elite on VX flights, but it can be done and it will get better. The merger is one of the main reasons I moved over to AS from UA. The partnership with AA helped a lot too. Will have to see how much it really hurts with most of the AA partnership going away. But VX was a plus for a Bay Area AS flyer.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
But what I do not get is why Alaska had to divest itself of so many codeshares in this deal.....when United can swallow an entire airline (Continental), and AA (can absorb US Air, which was also an absorption of so many carriers). But Alaska has to divest itself across the board because it controlled too much of LAX after the merger? Sheesh. This is all b.s.

We have to give up connections and tie ins on FF programs? We can let Albertsons and Safeway merge and operate two brands a mile from each other and still operate both stores. We can let Amazon control the world. And regulators are worried about Alaska's tie in with American?
There are different types of codeshare agreements -- some that allow flights to be sold as standalone, and others that require connections. AS and AA had the deepest possible codeshare relationship, in that they could sell the flights as standalone (e.g., I several times bought SFO-MIA through AS so I could use my change fee waiver and/or get better miles).

With this nonstop codeshare agreement, each carrier could set their own fares, and although it's the same plane, it's as close as true competition as you can get without flying another plane. From the regulators' perspective, this is like flying the route as well. Had they had a lesser codeshare agreement, it's likely it would have been able to stand (e.g., you can only book a codeshare as a connection, or a codeshare in conjunction with one of the carrier's native flights), as it would have resulted in only connecting itineraries being codeshareable, and those have a lot more competitive options than nonstops.

Despite UA and CO being much larger, they were highly disparate networks with focuses in different parts of the country. Their nonstop overlap was some like 13 routes in total. When you take VX and AS, and include the former AA codeshare routes, the route overlap was actually more than UA/CO.

They all had to give up something when they merged. I believe CO had to give up some gates at EWR. US/AA had to divest slots and/or gates in DCA/LGA.

Originally Posted by Baze
I would not say it is a big fat zero or a negative. I live in the Bay Area and it was very hard being an AS flyer as just about had to route everything through SEA or PDX. VX opened up a LOT of routes out of the Bay Area. Sure, for now it is hard getting recognition as an AS elite on VX flights, but it can be done and it will get better. The merger is one of the main reasons I moved over to AS from UA. The partnership with AA helped a lot too. Will have to see how much it really hurts with most of the AA partnership going away. But VX was a plus for a Bay Area AS flyer.
Agreed. The AA partnership was a backup to an airline that didn't take us everywhere. It should get better when they get rid of the VX code which will allow us to use those flights to connect to AA flights (something that is currently not permitted). And hopefully they'll start serving AA hubs from the Bay Area and allowing connections to places that are available to SEA/PDX customers, but not LAX/SFO, as we have no access to most AA codeshare destinations from California. But in the meantime, it's going to bad, and they should recognize this and throw a bone to California customers who were disproportionately impacted by this AA loss -- the customers they were supposedly hoping to retain/grow.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
But what I do not get is why Alaska had to divest itself of so many codeshares in this deal.....when United can swallow an entire airline (Continental), and AA (can absorb US Air, which was also an absorption of so many carriers).
Just to clarify, it was US that absorbed AA, not the other way around. And US itself had been previously absorbed by HP. In each case HP kept the more prominent of the brands. Doesn't affect your argument.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
I'm a little confused by this. So the mileage redemption chart reads:

US/North America in business/first to SOUTH AMERICA ZONE 1 is currently 40,000/ will become 52,500 ... (but currently it costs 30,000 from NYC to Peru in business class)

What does this route cost after Dec 31 - 52,500 one way?
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BOSTravels
When AA loses QR redemptions in the near future, it will be the most worthless program on earth.

Http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...074.1499641620
I don't think you read that article closely / completely. SInce AA and QR are both in the oneworld alliance, AA can't cut ties completely with QR without first getting QR thrown out of the oneworld alliance. So it's much more complicated than AA cutting ties with EK (with which it has nothing other than a one-off relationship).

AA could make a special award chart for QR with worse redemption rates, and/or remove the exceptions that QR has for one-award routings to Africa and the Indian Subcontinent, or something like that, but I think that's the most it can do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.