Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS and AA Partnership Changes (Effective 1 January 2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Link to Official AS Blog Post

Major points from this thread and from missydarlin:

• Effective Jan 1, 2018, domestic AA-marketed flights will not earn any Mileage Plan miles. AS-marketed, AA-operated codeshares will continue to earn AS miles at the AS earning rate (ie a minimum of one mile earned per mile flown). Domestic flights marketed by other partners (eg BA) and operated by AA will no longer earn AS miles. Post-Jan 1 flights booked prior to Jul 6, 2017 may be submitted for mileage credit.
  • International AA flights (including US-Canada and US-Mexico) will continue to earn AS miles. Domestic AA flights which connect to international flights will not earn miles. It will remain impossible to book international AA-operated flights through Alaska to get an AS codeshare or an AS-operated domestic feeder flight.
  • Reciprocal elite status benefits (waived checked bag fees, preferred/MCE seat assignments, priority boarding) between AA and AS go away Jan 1, 2018. Seat assignments made prior to Jan 1 for post-Jan 1 flights will remain.
  • The reciprocal lounge access arrangment between AA and AS will not change.
  • AA will remain a mileage redemption partner of AS with only relatively minor tweaks to the award chart (some increases, some decreases).

Link to share your feedback with Alaska Airlines:

https://www.alaskaair.com/feedback

Discussion in the American Airlines forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...an-2018-a.html
Print Wikipost

AS and AA Partnership Changes (Effective 1 January 2018)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by dayone
How does AA have any say on how AS values AA flights in in Mileage Plan? Those are AS marketing decisions.
Two possible ways come to mind- refusing to provide automated passenger flight data or validate mileage submissions and refusing to pay miles to AS for those flights. AS would have to pay the miles out of their own pocket and rely on manually submitted boarding passes for credit.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:01 am

Programs: Alaska 75K
Is AA lounge access going bye bye too?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:03 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Brianblanco
Is AA lounge access going bye bye too?
No

Lounge access: Alaska Lounge members will still have access to over 50 Admirals Club lounges when flying on an Alaska or American flight.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:31 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Two possible ways come to mind- refusing to provide automated passenger flight data or validate mileage submissions and refusing to pay miles to AS for those flights. AS would have to pay the miles out of their own pocket and rely on manually submitted boarding passes for credit.
AA will continue to provide automated passenger info, since mileage will still be awarded for international flights. And AA doesn't pay for miles flown, it pays for net miles redeemed.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I finally just read the AS blog and they state the following statement:

"The good news is that Alaska and Virgin America serve 80 percent of the top routes that Mileage Plan members have historically flown and earned miles on with American."

I think they are underestimating the impact the 20% will have on the 80% then in reading their "plan B" suggestions based on regions they are downplaying the ramifications of the changes this has on the customers making suggestions that in their eyes will make it all right with the world such as VX has got you covered in California, those in PNW can still book AA flights on AS.com ignoring the fact they do not do a good job of offering competitive pricing or options on multi-carrier itineraries let alone do not support mixed carrier international sales, etc.

Then going back up to the first paragraph where they state:

"Alaska Airlines is growing. Over the past five years alone, Alaska has added over 110 new markets, and with the acquisition of Virgin America late last year, now has more than 1,200 daily flights to 118 destinations across the United States, Mexico, Canada, Costa Rica and Cuba, plus an extensive portfolio of global partners.

As a result of this growth, Alaska and American Airlines have agreed to make some changes to their partnership beginning Jan. 1, 2018."

This comes across to me as arrogant implying we are as good as AA/DL/UA and can carry our own weight while completely ignoring the fact that having an extensive portfolio of global partners means diddly squat when we are unable to book a simple AS+AA/QF SEA-SYD revenue ticket on AS.com.

Interesting times ahead, but AS management is not doing themselves any favor with decisions and justifications like these IMHO.
I read this all differently. I assume this was DOT/Gov or AA initiated (or both.) Both of these AS statements seem reactionary. "AA cut our access to their flights, so remember we still serve most of the places you fly..." and "AS is growing so AA said we had to distance our relationship."

Nothing in the press release/blog is really a net positive for AS, so I can't imagine why they would have come up with this on their own. I also believe that if DL would let them, they still would have been partners. Reducing partnerships before AS/VX is integrated and built out makes no sense.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
My experience with email to Alaska Airlines is I get the automated acknowledgement back and then never hear another word. From my perspective they just go directly into the trash unread.

Originally Posted by beckoa
Has anyone drafted correspondence into Alaska about this yet?

Not that it will do any good- but a flurry of emails and submissions to alaskalistens.com can at least indicate displeasure.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Maybe I'm not following this stuff as closely as I should but this came out of left field for me. I always assumed that AA was more important after the DL relationship unraveled.

It seems like this is AA driven. I've had pretty much nothing but miserable experiences with AA vis-a-vis delays, cancellations etc. but have put up with it as there wasn't much choice these days. I know that after these changes I'll only fly AA if they're dirt cheap... kind of like my criteria for Spirit or Frontier.

It seems to me that AS is just playing up VX as the alternative to AA because they don't have much choice. AA codeshares bought from AS just aren't competitively priced in my experience and it's laughable that they even offer that up as a viable alternative. VX has even bigger holes in its network than does AS. Don't try to fly between two cities east of the Rockies with these changes.

I had a chance to fly a half a dozen or so VX flights in May. They were fine but I don't get what people find so alluring. I liked the safety video--the rest of the experience was meh. Maybe if you're in F it's greats but of course as an AS elite I was scrambling for whatever seat I could get in the back of the airbus as the number of Y seats with a surcharge was large, as we all know.

No elite benefits on AA stinks. Extra legroom seats are the only thing that made AA international flights a viable option. Now they're on the 'do not fly list' with their 10 across 777.

Was just about to pull the trigger on a couple of AS Hawaii tickets for Christmas... that's all on hold now that it's pretty much 'game over' for me. Just too few options.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by dayone
I don't buy into your conspiracy. This wasn't a knee-jerk reaction.

What are two most negative changes? No more EQM on AA flights and no AS miles on AA-coded domestic flights. How does AA have any say on how AS values AA flights in in Mileage Plan? Those are AS marketing decisions.

These changes were made as both airlines rejiggered their marketing programs to respond to major changes in the marketplace. AS wants more control of the traffic on its growing route map and AA is taking a step back from a now-more direct competitor.
it's a conspiracy and knee jerk reaction if AA is behind it, but not AS? If this was AS it was a very bad decision, if they were worried about competition on their new VX routes they could have done like the did with 7H and not allow milage on the routes the compete on. The AA program does loose too, but their loses are much easier to repair, if they so desire they could fill in all the holes, except small Alaska destinations in a couple of years or less, but they have been steadily devaluing their program for a while, so maybe they don't care.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
need to get my companion fare spent this week so i can cancel my CC well in advance of my September renewal date...
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
need to get my companion fare spent this week so i can cancel my CC well in advance of my September renewal date...
Doesn't the companion fare coupon persist until its expiration even if the CC is canceled?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:18 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by Kufat
Doesn't the companion fare coupon persist until its expiration even if the CC is canceled?
IIRC when booking a companion ticket you have to use the card, so if you cancel then you will not be able to use the card and thereby rendering the companion discount useless even though the discount is still valid.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:23 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by lg20
I read this all differently. I assume this was DOT/Gov or AA initiated (or both.) Both of these AS statements seem reactionary. "AA cut our access to their flights, so remember we still serve most of the places you fly..." and "AS is growing so AA said we had to distance our relationship."

Nothing in the press release/blog is really a net positive for AS, so I can't imagine why they would have come up with this on their own. I also believe that if DL would let them, they still would have been partners. Reducing partnerships before AS/VX is integrated and built out makes no sense.
AS is known to be very honest and in some circumstances blunt about some changes (i.e. EK award price increase), so this blog release to me if trying to put a positive spin would be a deviation from the norm. Then again I have been out of touch with AS lately.

I agree nothing in here is good for AS.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by golfingboy
IIRC when booking a companion ticket you have to use the card, so if you cancel then you will not be able to use the card and thereby rendering the companion discount useless even though the discount is still valid.
You don't have to use the card. You must have one of two conditions (OR, not AND):
  1. The primary cardholder is one of the two travelers.
  2. The credit card used to pay for the flight has the same last name as the primary cardholder (but need not be that Alaska Visa, any other Alaska Visa, or have the same first name as the cardholder: I have successfully booked a companion ticket using John Smith's companion code using an unrelated credit card under the name of Jane Smith, with Jessica Doe and Justin Doe traveling. The purchase was rejected when I tried to use Justin Doe's credit card to pay for the ticket -- Justin Doe's card was an authorized card on the same account as the Jane Smith card that was successful).
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Renard
AA codeshares bought from AS just aren't competitively priced in my experience and it's laughable that they even offer that up as a viable alternative.
The prices you're seeing are set by Alaska for those flights. Maybe they don't get competitive costs from AA for those segments. Maybe AS prices them higher to drive incremental volume to its own flights.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Kufat
no idea, but i want the miles from the ticket purchase by using the card as the tickets will be over $1000 when all is said and done

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.