Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS encouraged buying miles in promotion, then doubled cost of using [Resolved]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2017, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM

I feel suckered. And rightfully so.

Sure there are going to be those legal eyes reading what I'm about to share who will point to the inherent design that airline loyalty programs and our participation come with the idea that they can be changed by the airlines at any time.

But this is ridiculous and reaches into an area of fraud.

Here's the Setup:

AS runs this massive promotion encouraging customers to purchase miles that come with up to 40% bonus. I look at the reasonable number of miles required to redeem a route I fly weekly.

The cost is 25K miles. It has been that amount for months. But, on the last day of the promotion, having enticed customers like me, and my having spent a few thousand dollars they more than double the amount needed to redeem the same flights on the same route.

Very deceptive and utterly disappointing. I feel taken.

***UPDATE***
After reaching out to AS directly, they promptly responded, apologized and made it right. Thank you very much. Incredibly amazing customer service from AS.

Last edited by cyber1k; Jul 10, 2017 at 3:15 pm
Old Jul 1, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Which route?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

For context, here's the points guy write-up on the promotion. https://thepointsguy.com/2017/05/ala...rom-1-97-each/
Route: LAX/JFK or LAX/EWR.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cyber1k
I feel suckered. And rightfully so.
Very deceptive and utterly disappointing. I feel taken. Screw you AS.
Perhaps you need to understand the program a little better. AS has different levels of award seats. I suspect that the problem that you are seeing is that there are no low level saver seats available on the days you are looking.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Route: LAX/JFK or LAX/EWR.
Seriously? I have had no problem finding lots of 25K Virgin First Class seats on those routes most days. In fact, these are some of the easiest seats to find. VX will release down to F1 on most LAX flights within the last couple of days. Patience and perseverance is your friend here.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:11 pm
vgc

Have you been eyeballing a certain date and only have it jump up in price at the last minute? Because that happens regardless if you buy miles.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
Perhaps you need to understand the program a little better. AS has different levels of award seats. I suspect that the problem that you are seeing is that there are no low level saver seats available on the days you are looking.
Good point. That's what I thought. Then I tried several dates out weeks and months and all of them yield an amount double.. 60K.. when a vast majority of flights were 25K just days or hours before.

It's a deceptive promotion, period.

Last edited by cyber1k; Jul 1, 2017 at 1:35 pm
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Seriously? I have had no problem finding lots of 25K Virgin First Class seats on those routes most days. In fact, these are some of the easiest seats to find. VX will release down to F1 on most LAX flights within the last couple of days. Patience and perseverance is your friend here.
Here's my experience. Up until a day ago, most every flight LAX/JFK posted 25K for first if 2 weeks or more out. I fly on Thursdays. I have flown VX with AS redemption in F at 25K since the merger. Here's what happened overnight... Aug 10, 17, 24, 31, Sept 7, 14 nope nope nope. All of these would otherwise just a day or so ago shown most all flights LAX/JFK at 25K. Now they are 60K.. more than double.

Last edited by cyber1k; Jul 1, 2017 at 1:59 pm
Old Jul 1, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Airlines are able to do whatever they want with redemption rates. It's possible that people booked flights on those dates as well. Just keep an eye on availability like you normally would with any other FFP.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Very deceptive and utterly disappointing.
Despite how you felt, AS never guarantees on the redemption aspect.

So as far as the promotion concerns, AS has held up its end.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:29 pm

It's frustrating, but hardly an issue of fraud.

You can still redeem First class on the routes you selected, albeit at higher rate. I would be really disappointed if AS changed the rates without notice, like they did with EK, but the rates you got have been up for a while.. There's just no guarantee you will get the saver award (25k) every time.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:57 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Which US airline is more generous with F saver awards than AS?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
No a single one.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 4:27 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by dayone
No[t] a single one.
Exactly.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 4:32 pm

I get your frustration, but there is no fraud here, just bad luck. Milage availiblity is vey volitile. There are still plenty of 25000 coast to coast redemption options, so unless they are specifically targeting you, I think it's just luck.

There probably is a temporary downtick in abalibility system wide because alot of people are buying and redeeming now. The good news is AS miles don't expire (unless yout have no activity), so eventually there will be availability for flights you want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.