Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS encouraged buying miles in promotion, then doubled cost of using [Resolved]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS encouraged buying miles in promotion, then doubled cost of using [Resolved]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
The OP is actually kind of right. Up until last Wednesday I think when I was checking out a route, saver awards were plentiful. Then it got adjusted. I don't think it has anything to do with the miles sale Alaska has going on but they did remove a lot of saver awards.
How do you know it wasn't all the sheeple that bought points after TPG recommend it?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Alaska has been amazingly generous with F award space on VX.

Surely this will not last - take advantage while you can but don't be surprised when this award space gradually starts to disappear.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You mean flying on VX F error fares?

I'm not under any illusion that a good chunk of FTers wouldn't run over their grandma if there was a way to arbitrage AS MP.

I would be careful what you ask for.
That was only a recent thing and it was Y not F. MR's fares have always been rare when it comes to AS. Close to a million earned on non-mistake fares. Thankfully down to 300K now.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
***UPDATE***

Wow. Impressive response from AS.

Entire ordeal resolved favorably. AS listens to their customers. Thank you very much.

You just earned a new customer.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by cyber1k
***UPDATE***

Entire ordeal resolved favorably. AS listens to their customers. Thank you very much.

Glad to hear AS resolved this to your satisfaction, and thanks for reporting back. ^
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
***UPDATE***

How?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 12:28 pm

***UPDATE***

I expect this guy whined on social media, and Alaska caved to potential negative publicity. Often it's sad how squeaky wheels get the grease where as the loyal flyers that don't make waves end up losing out.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CZBB
I expect this guy whined on social media, and Alaska caved to potential negative publicity. Often it's sad how squeaky wheels get the grease where as the loyal flyers that don't make waves end up losing out.
Not so simple. Selling miles is an extremely profitable business, almost has no cost involved as after all the availability is capacity controlled.
AS or any other airline, certainly would not want any negative publicity on incidents like these - that would directly impact the airlines' bottom line.

AA is (hopefully) slowly learning its lesson when it revealed how much it missed the projected revenues in selling miles in its 10Q filing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.