Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QX cutting flights due to pilot shortage

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Sorry, but that's not the way resource allocation works in a market economy. (In spite of pilot unions, U.S. carriers can still be described as a market economy.) FedEx (or mainline carriers) can (and will, if needed), pay to get pilots away from Horizon, SkyWest, Envoy, etc. Pilots don't get allocated by the government, nor on a first-come, first-served arrangement. Horizon will have enough pilots on a sustainable basis when pay, work conditions, advancement prospects, etc. reach a market-clearing basis for the skill set (experience, education, attitude) that Horizon seeks. This is a Horizon problem of Horizon's making: we didn't see DL/UA/AA cut 6% of flights on short notice.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Schedule shows 18 cancellations in and out of Portland today. Clearly this is not getting better.

Most of these are 3000 series flight numbers, or Skywest.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Schedule shows 18 cancellations in and out of Portland today. Clearly this is not getting better.

Most of these are 3000 series flight numbers, or Skywest.
To be fair, subtract the Santa Rosa flights and the ones that were OO flights swapped for QX ones. I counted 8 in/out, not great, but not 18.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Asquared1
To be fair, subtract the Santa Rosa flights and the ones that were OO flights swapped for QX ones. I counted 8 in/out, not great, but not 18.
Similar pattern today with 9 in/out cancellations, but only 3 that aren't OO/QX swaps or Santa Rosa and one of those is a 9xxx flight.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL Gold, Hilton Gold
Similar pattern today with 9 in/out cancellations, but only 3 that aren't OO/QX swaps or Santa Rosa and one of those is a 9xxx flight.
Where are you following the cancellations? I was using Flightstats, but then the cancellations stopped being shown.

Does anyone know the extent to which flights to/from GEG-SEA have been effected?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by LaneW
Where are you following the cancellations? I was using Flightstats, but then the cancellations stopped being shown.

Does anyone know the extent to which flights to/from GEG-SEA have been effected?
PDX Airport Site

http://www.flypdx.com/PDX/Flights?Airline=AS
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LaneW
Going back a week, Expertflyer shows one cancellation on Sunday and two on Monday, with one of those two replaced by a similarly timed flight. All three were 3000-series flight numbers.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 6:44 pm

Shows 19 from POrtland today. Some yes are duplicates of a flight added, but it looks like Ontario and Sacramento pop up often today, and are not replaced by something else.

It's not over. This is a mess.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:16 pm

Shows 19 from POrtland today. Some yes are duplicates of a flight added, but it looks like Ontario and Sacramento pop up often today, and are not replaced by something else.

It's not over. This is a mess.
Your grossly exaggerating the situation at PDX today as you did yesterday. If your going to state a number then take away the replaced flights, the Santa Rosa flights (where the airport is still on reduced service) and the 9xxx flights which were probably never really on the schedule. I'm not going to do it again for you and your obviously not interested in an objective view on the situation.

It is interesting that the true cxl's are mostly OO flights now and not QX and that QX is replacing OO flights.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
My QX flight in December from SMF-PDX got switched to an AS 737. It looks like AS mainline is taking over the route at least temporarily....but only a morning and evening flight.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

It is interesting that the true cxl's are mostly OO flights now and not QX and that QX is replacing OO flights.
I was upgraded to a QX Q400 yesterday PSC-SEA. Beat the OO CRJ200 I was scheduled on!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by beckoa
I was upgraded to a QX Q400
What is 'a phrase a year ago I never thought I'd hear'?

I'll take "Things in Overhead Compartments" for $400, Alex.

ucdtim17 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
basic math ... 400 >> 200
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:37 am

Your grossly exaggerating the situation at PDX today as you did yesterday. If your going to state a number then take away the replaced flights, the Santa Rosa flights (where the airport is still on reduced service) and the 9xxx flights which were probably never really on the schedule. I'm not going to do it again for you and your obviously not interested in an objective view on the situation.

I am not grossly exaggerating anything. I already noted there were substitute flights for many of them. There were 11 real cancellations and not substituted flights. This is a LOT of flights. You can argue Santa Rosa and the fires cause some of it, but the airport is open and running. Furthermore those going traveling to or from Sacramento, Boise, and Ontario took hits today. Those are real passengers on real flights and there was no substitute flight. There's nothing more objective than the hard facts.

I have to wonder how you would feel if it was you who was screwed by this issue - several times lately?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:22 am

I am not grossly exaggerating anything. I already noted there were substitute flights for many of them. There were 11 real cancellations and not substituted flights. This is a LOT of flights. You can argue Santa Rosa and the fires cause some of it, but the airport is open and running. Furthermore those going traveling to or from Sacramento, Boise, and Ontario took hits today. Those are real passengers on real flights and there was no substitute flight. There's nothing more objective than the hard facts.

I have to wonder how you would feel if it was you who was screwed by this issue - several times lately?
More like 5 or 6, but I'm not going to keep arguing these points with you. We have plenty of AS travelers here and the real world experience is the only true tell of what's going on, not trying to guess if each cancellation you count actually had a real impact on travelers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.