Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QX cutting flights due to pilot shortage

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
If you have been watching this over on the pilot forum they are now saying that SkyWest has brought in 9 CRJ's to cover QX flying. From what I have seen the little CRJ2's are mostly doing shuttle flights. That said things do appear to be stabilizing now that fall has arrived and the schedule has been drawn down. Apparently new pilot classes are starting to have an impact although we are probably well into mid year 2018 before we get a return to normal.
You make an assumption that normal can be achieved.....keep in mind that losses continue to occur in the pilot ranks. The schedule has been hacked, and it's still inconsistent. And Alaska is on record of saying they will add 30 new city pairs by the end of 2018.....so that will draw on the system as well.

Horizon is relieved that the Santa Rosa flights are cancelled because of the fires today....allows them to make it seem like they can cover other routes.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
You make an assumption that normal can be achieved.....keep in mind that losses continue to occur in the pilot ranks. The schedule has been hacked, and it's still inconsistent. And Alaska is on record of saying they will add 30 new city pairs by the end of 2018.....so that will draw on the system as well.

Horizon is relieved that the Santa Rosa flights are cancelled because of the fires today....allows them to make it seem like they can cover other routes.
I think this was the original question this morning, is it still inconsistent? Are we still seeing close in cancellations due to pilot shortage? Have you seen recent examples of this or are you just posting your daily AS slam?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Asquared1
I think this was the original question this morning, is it still inconsistent? Are we still seeing close in cancellations due to pilot shortage? Have you seen recent examples of this or are you just posting your daily AS slam?
Alaska has cancelled several non-stops out of Portland until at least Spring....St Louis, Kansas City to name a few. Plus some PDX-SEA flights are always cancelled.

Medford is still on Alaska's hit list.

Yes, its still inconsistent.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 1:15 pm

Alaska has cancelled several non-stops out of Portland until at least Spring....St Louis, Kansas City to name a few. Plus some PDX-SEA flights are always cancelled.

Medford is still on Alaska's hit list.

Yes, its still inconsistent.
He's asking if flights are still getting canceled day to day. We've seen the large scale scheduled reductions and suspensions but are all the flights on the reduced schedule generally flying at a ~normal rate?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
He's asking if flights are still getting canceled day to day. We've seen the large scale scheduled reductions and suspensions but are all the flights on the reduced schedule generally flying at a ~normal rate?
First am EUG to PDX was cancelled this morning so appears to still be happening.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
First am EUG to PDX was cancelled this morning so appears to still be happening.
Interesting that it shows up on the Cxl board , but shows on AS flight schedule as not operating on Sat this week. Any idea when they cancelled it?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K

I don't work for QX or AS so I don't have inside information, however, from what I have read new pilot classes are having a net positive affect even accounting for pilots continuing to leave QX and go to the majors. The gains will be slow but QX is suggesting they will be back to status quo in February. I kind of doubt that and think it will probably mid year. Yes QX still has cancellations but it with their schedule drawn down I suspect the majority of cancellations are for MX etc.

As far as the 30 new city pair, I don't think that will happen unless it is done by SkyWest. SkyWest is taking delivery of 5 E175's that had been ordered by Horizon (thus creating another union lawsuit).
Old Oct 14, 2017, 3:54 pm

I think there are still cancellations day to day. You'd hope they'd cancel in advance rather than do day to day.

From what I can gather, there are five cancellations (inbound/outbound combined) from PDX today, all Horizon. Three are associated with Santa Rosa. Santa Rosa being temporarily pulled might provide them some relief.

Seattle is showing seven cancellations today, one is mainline, the others are are Horizon.

I could look for more, but I do not think the issue is solved yet.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL Gold, Hilton Gold
Correct. What I need to know is if the cancellations are continuing, improving or getting worse. I have flights to book between now and the end of the year and am reluctant to book on AS now.

I really wish that they would not sell seats on flights that are going to get cancelled!
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:12 am

I don’t think we’ve seen significant schedule updates for January yet beyond the route suspensions. Could come any week this month or next I assume.
Incremental updates continue. PDX-SMF/OAK 737 schedule extended from Dec 1-15 to Dec 1-Jan 2.

Just make them permanent and be done with it. Then they won't have to deal with me complaining about Q400s ever again and I can stop bothering with all this schedule update minutia.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:33 am

PDX today, a couple more OO flights cxl'ed (3488 & 3380) and replaced by what I assume are QX flights (9371 & 9376)
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Asquared1
PDX today, a couple more OO flights cxl'ed (3488 & 3380) and replaced by what I assume are QX flights (9371 & 9376)
Thats interesting - does it suggest a let up on the cancellations, or just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by LaneW
Thats interesting - does it suggest a let up on the cancellations, or just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic?
Saw one on Saturday as well. Also noticed out of PDX 1 or 2 OO flights a day that have 5-6 hours delays posted very early in day that seem more like crew issue than mechanical. Perhaps OO is starting to get a little thin.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by LaneW
Over on the pilots forum, Skywest is getting thin as well. They've appearently got more DL flying to cover along with the AS increase.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've said this before, this is a system wide issue with the industry. The early affect upon individual airlines was based on the airline failing to step up to the plate and offer salary and bonuses comparable to other airlines. Once everybody (i.e., airlines) realize(s/d) they need to be on par with everybody else, then pay differentiation will become less of a factor and those new pilots coming into the system will pick jobs based on company and domicile. I'm getting the sense that the regionals are finally stepping up to the plate and offering starting salaries that are on par (I'm probably wrong to some degree and anybody who has more data on this please share.) But the bottom line is that until the pipeline of new pilots matches the industry need, it will be pretty much like rearranging the deck chairs...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.