Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QX cutting flights due to pilot shortage

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Oh come on.....First a Q400 is anything but "flying a computer", and yeah back in the day lots of things were different and I didn't have grey hair.. However, back in the day you could live on $20,000 a year. Try being a new co-pilot assigned to Seattle and making $36,000!!
Lort I feel for anyone making under $50k and trying to live near SeaTac!!

Well back in the day, most FOs also waited to have kids & whatnot until they were flying a bigger airplane or for a larger airline. Most of the FOs flying the Beech 1900s, Jetstreams, Brasilias, and Saabs were barely 20 years old - if even.

The economy has changed, but I think the profession has gotten a bit of an ego. The drivers after Colgan wouldn't have changed the crash, the main evils brought out were dealing with a sh*tty company, not necessarily bad pilots (although, pulling BACK during a stall is a big no no). I think they went too far with the 1500 hour rule and it needs to be relaxed, but in a manner that's also not going to tank the Part 135 world as well.

Just food for thought to think about: I mentioned the Metro III and Beech 1900 - both 19 seaters; provided a great opportunity to train pilots. Now its with 74 seaters. Let that sink in, too.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by pdx1M
Well this cost AS their first actual business loss from me. Just booked spouse on UA to IND to avoid the PDX-SEA lottery. Normally she'd have gone AS but it's just getting too shaky - I might be willing to jump around on flights as they dump them but I didn't see the point in doing that to her.
My friends going up from SAN to YVR for a cruise in July spent about 8 hours at SEA due to a QX cancellation. One of them can't get around very well without assistance. What a pain that was. They couldn't get a later flight out of SAN (sold out) or an earlier connection in YVR (nothing operating). Fortunately they followed the first rule of always getting in at least 24 hours ahead of your cruise.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by makfan
My friends going up from SAN to YVR for a cruise in July spent about 8 hours at SEA due to a QX cancellation. One of them can't get around very well without assistance. What a pain that was. They couldn't get a later flight out of SAN (sold out) or an earlier connection in YVR (nothing operating). Fortunately they followed the first rule of always getting in at least 24 hours ahead of your cruise.
I remember when AS flew SAN-YVR nonstop. Those were the days.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
"Crew rest" delay messed up the 1st day of my long-planned vacation

Set up boi-pdx-bos trip many months ago, using GGUs. Looking forward to a relaxing experience in F. Awoke at 5am on Tue. and checked my email/text messages while making coffee. And I see "your boi-pdx flt has been delayed". Stomach drops. I call AS and after 10-12 min. on hold they tell me it's a 3+ hr. delay because of "crew rest" ( I asked, she didn't volunteer) so I'll miss connection to BOS. To AS's credit the rep. found us flts on UA, boi-sfo-bos. That's the good news. The bad news was that we were in Y, in middle seats in different rows. We survived and arrived BOS about 2 hrs later than originally planned. We survived but are really saddened by the pilot shortage. Some of the folks upstream were damaged a lot more than we were.

The rep. said a supervisor was going to fix it so we could use the GGUs at a future day. Where would I find that in my account? Thx

Last edited by philemer; Oct 12, 2017 at 7:59 pm
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
sorry you got hosed up, but -- as you said -- at least you got there without too much delay

there should be new GGUs in My Wallet (well, your Wallet ) under "Guest Upgrades - Valid" and they should have a 12/31/2018 expiration date
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
Set up boi-pdx-bos trip many months ago, using GGUs. Looking forward to a relaxing experience in F. Awoke at 5am on Tue. and checked my email/text messages while making coffee. And I see "your boi-pdx flt has been delayed". Stomach drops. I call AS and after 10-12 min. on hold they tell me it's a 3+ hr. delay because of "crew rest" ( I asked, she didn't volunteer) so I'll miss connection to BOS. To AS's credit the rep. found us flts on UA, boi-sfo-bos. That's the good news. The bad news was that we were in Y, in middle seats in different rows. We survived and arrived BOS about 2 hrs later than originally planned. We survived but are really saddened by the pilot shortage. Some of the folks upstream were damaged a lot more than we were.

The rep. said a supervisor was going to fix it so we could use the GGUs at a future day. Where would I find that in my account? Thx
And original routing credit, and some major miles for your inconvenience, I hope.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
sorry you got hosed up, but -- as you said -- at least you got there without too much delay

there should be new GGUs in My Wallet (well, your Wallet ) under "Guest Upgrades - Valid" and they should have a 12/31/2018 expiration date
No GGUs yet. I'll give them a couple more days before calling.

Originally Posted by flytoeat
And original routing credit, and some major miles for your inconvenience, I hope.
You mean they usually credit the miles even though we flew UA? Yes, I'd expect some "inconvenience" miles or cash/discounts. What range should I be expecting? Haven't had time to call yet. Thanks!!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by philemer
You mean they usually credit the miles even though we flew UA? Yes, I'd expect some "inconvenience" miles or cash/discounts. What range should I be expecting? Haven't had time to call yet. Thanks!!
I've been successful by emailing [email protected] and request original routing credit for an involuntary reroute. Attach receipt/confirmation along with original boarding passes (if those were already issued). I try to dummyproof it a bit by also putting the flight numbers, origin/destination airport codes, dates, purchased fare class for each segment along with the ticket number in the body of the email. If I remember at the time, I'll ask the counter or phone agent to put a notation on the reservation that I'll be requesting original routing credit.

For QX cancellations, I've received $100-200 in discount code money as a Gold.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel
I've been successful by emailing [email protected] and request original routing credit for an involuntary reroute. Attach receipt/confirmation along with original boarding passes (if those were already issued). I try to dummyproof it a bit by also putting the flight numbers, origin/destination airport codes, dates, purchased fare class for each segment along with the ticket number in the body of the email. If I remember at the time, I'll ask the counter or phone agent to put a notation on the reservation that I'll be requesting original routing credit.

For QX cancellations, I've received $100-200 in discount code money as a Gold.
Good suggestions. Thx.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL Gold, Hilton Gold
This thread is wandering a bit. I would like to know if there is a way we can keep track of whether cancellations are increasing or decreasing, what routes are being effected regularly, etc.... should a new thread be started?

I had been watching cancellations on Flightstats, but they don't show anymore. I just would like to know if things are getting better or worse.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by LaneW
This thread is wandering a bit. I would like to know if there is a way we can keep track of whether cancellations are increasing or decreasing, what routes are being effected regularly, etc.... should a new thread be started?

I had been watching cancellations on Flightstats, but they don't show anymore. I just would like to know if things are getting better or worse.
I have same question.

One interesting thing I saw today. It seems lately that Cxl's that are done x(?) days out are now being treated as "schedule changes" (i.e, do not appear in AS on line schedule and do not show up as Cxl's). I looked at PDX's board today, PDX-SEA #3393 (an OO flight) shows up as Cxl, but is not on schedule and was seemingly replaced by a "scheduled" QX flight at same time with a 9xxx flight # (9373). Interesting that an OO flight is being treated differently and that a QX flight was seemingly taken (back?) from OO which is something different.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:53 am

I don’t think we’ve seen significant schedule updates for January yet beyond the route suspensions. Could come any week this month or next I assume.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:20 am

I've seen day of cancellations show up on the monitor, like all the STS flights cancelled due to the firestorm. But there seem to be far fewer operational cancellations now that OO is covering more QC flights.

Last edited by sltlyamusd; Oct 14, 2017 at 11:34 am
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by LaneW

If you have been watching this over on the pilot forum they are now saying that SkyWest has brought in 9 CRJ's to cover QX flying. From what I have seen the little CRJ2's are mostly doing shuttle flights. That said things do appear to be stabilizing now that fall has arrived and the schedule has been drawn down. Apparently new pilot classes are starting to have an impact although we are probably well into mid year 2018 before we get a return to normal.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I can see QX replacing OO as it sounds like a CRJ went MX on the 12th affecting several friends flights to PSC (both on the 12th and 13th) with multi-hour delays. Basically I think OO's CRJ operation was shifted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.