Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QX cutting flights due to pilot shortage

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
Just tried to book LAX-LTO return for later this month. I've been doing this flight for years and all of a sudden there's no availability. Has this route fallen victim too?
LTO is served by mainline, not QX, and I'm seeing some results on Google Flights. I'd guess that a lot of near-future flights are just booked full, given the high prices and packed seatmaps on the available dates.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:52 pm

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
That flight is operated by Alaska, not Horizon? It only operates Thursday through Sunday though. Try one of those days and you'll see availability.
Ahh.

Used to be daily on QX
Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I'm also noticing that they've dropped the early morning PDX-SLC flight (it was an OO E175 the last time I flew it), leaving a questionably-operating and undesirable one-stop on QX via BOI or nothing until 11:40 am. Makes it completely useless for PDX-based business travelers. Is this part of a reallocation of E175 jets based on the QX situation or is it part of a larger SLC draw down? In any case, it'll put me on DL as a consequence and put requalification of my lowly MVP status in question. Guess I need to get a SkyMiles account...
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by czpdx
I'm also noticing that they've dropped the early morning PDX-SLC flight (it was an OO E175 the last time I flew it), leaving a questionably-operating and undesirable one-stop on QX via BOI or nothing until 11:40 am. Makes it completely useless for PDX-based business travelers. Is this part of a reallocation of E175 jets based on the QX situation or is it part of a larger SLC draw down? In any case, it'll put me on DL as a consequence and put requalification of my lowly MVP status in question. Guess I need to get a SkyMiles account...
Looks like there's more going on. If this flight is eliminated, then yes, Alaska flying the route is worthless. Fold up shop on this route Alaska or so it right.

Last edited by dayone; Oct 4, 2017 at 10:18 pm Reason: Language.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL Gold, Hilton Gold
In any case, it'll put me on DL as a consequence and put requalification of my lowly MVP status in question. Guess I need to get a SkyMiles account...
I think most of us are struggling with the same. My 75K status is toast if I book the rest of my travel for the year on DL - which I may have to do. And if so, I will likely status match and move from AS to DL (I fly from GEG and AS and DL are my best choices)

I'm about 12 segments short of 75K, and reluctant to book the rest of my travel, which would get me there, under the circumstances. What would keep me with AS, (for another year, at least) would be if they would provide some consideration to extending status to those of us that are close, but can't or don't dare risk, the needed additional flights.

What say you? Any chance - or fat chance?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: AS G75K
Fat I'd say unless you have a long history of being a 75K and you're only a couple segs out.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
PDX shows zero cancellations today. None! What's going on?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by PDXpress
I just noticed that. My guess is that AS had a discussion with PDX and asked them to do updates. Interesting this happened a few days after we commented on it here. Definitely better optics for them.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by PDXpress
I'm looking at SEA on FlightStats and also see no cancellations today - at least none are being revealed there. They were earlier this week. Something get resolved or are they just hiding the cancellations?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by LaneW
I'm looking at SEA on FlightStats and also see no cancellations today - at least none are being revealed there. They were earlier this week. Something get resolved or are they just hiding the cancellations?
The cancellations that were showing were flights that were on the schedule, but then taken off during during one of the schedule "updates". So many were "cancelled" weeks ago, but were still showing up even though they were no longer on the schedule. I guess it's open for debate about whether they need to be showing up on airport monitors and same day flight statuses.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG -> MVP -> now nothing, DL SM, Global Entry
My brother's coming up from EUG to SEA for the weekend, and was just informed that the 7:14pm departure (QX 2318) tomorrow has been cancelled. They rebooked him on Delta's flight departing 5:11pm. No word as to whether his return flight Sunday pm is still on. Fortunately for him he has flexibility at work, but having to put passengers on the competition cannot be a good thing for AS. I'll probably have to let him know about requesting original routing credit....
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
My two cents...SLC has always been a low-priced, odd "focus city" for AS that they set up just to get back at DL for building up SEA. In the grand scheme of things, making cuts there is probably among the least impactful on the bottom line. Last time I flew RNO-SLC, it was like $70 one way with a quick 35 minute stop in BOI and I didn't book it that far in advance. DL was of course about $200 one way for their nonstop.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by flatdawgs
My brother's coming up from EUG to SEA for the weekend, and was just informed that the 7:14pm departure (QX 2318) tomorrow has been cancelled. They rebooked him on Delta's flight departing 5:11pm. No word as to whether his return flight Sunday pm is still on. Fortunately for him he has flexibility at work, but having to put passengers on the competition cannot be a good thing for AS. I'll probably have to let him know about requesting original routing credit....
I looked for that flight on Flightstats. It is gone - does not show as cancelled. So this tells me now they are hiding them - how low can they go?

Last edited by LaneW; Oct 5, 2017 at 10:57 am
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: AS MVPG -> MVP -> now nothing, DL SM, Global Entry
Originally Posted by LaneW
I looked for that flight on Flightstats. It is gone - does not show as cancelled. So this tells me now they are hiding them - how low can they go?
It didn't come up on ITA either a bit ago, even as "sold out" - the afternoon flight did come up but only as "sold out" (makes sense if they had to move people from the 7:14pm flight). His return flight is still showing up for Sunday. We'll see.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
AS2318 for 10/6 isn't in Expert Flyer either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.