Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QX cutting flights due to pilot shortage

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Do we know how much longer pilot shortages -> flight cancellations will continue?
There was an article in The Oregonian today that talks about the cancellations. I would post a link but I can't since I don't have more than 5 posts here. But, it says that the situation should improve around the end of the year. Here is a quote:

Representatives say newly hired pilots currently being trained to fly Q400 turboprop aircraft should graduate by the end of the year and allow the regional carrier to return to its normal schedule, which mostly offers shorter flights throughout the Pacific Northwest.
Edit: looks like asquared1 was posting the same thing and included the link.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Interesting bit in the O article:
People wanting to take short hops, say between Portland and Medford, can be rebooked from a nonstop flight to another carrier
Welcome to FT Whowouldanewman!
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Interesting bit in the O article:

Welcome to FT Whowouldanewman!
Sure it does - they'll wrap you all over the place to get there. LOL. Incredible.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat, and a bunch of other stuff I guess
Originally Posted by Baze
That doesn't help. Trying to figure out what their specific question is.
I read it as "how have the QX cancellations affected your future plans and/or loyalty to AS?" OP, please correct if I am wrong. Makes sense to me to have a thread for that specifically, and the other thread for discussing the direct operational impact.

That said... for what it's worth, since I took a new job I have been MVPG on AS the past two years, and been caught in this mess like so many others. Twice this fall I've had to rebook after a cancellation, and two other times I've ended up booking another airline because the only AS flights that worked were cancelled or full. Between that and the loss of partnerships I am on the fence about going for the Delta Skymiles status match.

EUG is a similar situation to MFR at this point. I think DL has decided they'll try to eat AS's lunch and have started EUG-SEA as well - hence they are gaining market share like crazy while Alaska is losing. I like AS a lot but they really, really need to do better.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:21 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note: Related discussions of the QX pilot shortage have been and will be merged into this thread.

dayone, AS/VX Moderator
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Asquared1
Article from OregonLive today seems a bit optimistic in calling for relief by end of year:

http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/ind...art_river_home
The newly graduating pilots will cover Q400 routes, but they're also cancelling E175 routes - are they using E175s to cover some routes that would normally be Q400 and they'll restore them when they have the Q400 pilots, or do they have a shortage with the E175s, too, and it's just been lower profile?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by sltlyamusd
I wonder if you could request the WN nonstop if the Sea-Stl cancels?
Do any of the major carriers have an interline agreement with Southwest? I've never seen AA or UA reroute passengers over to Southwest, so I'd be surprised if Alaska/Horizon has an agreement to do that. It's just Southwest's way of doing business.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flytoeat
Wow. What's up?
God, it worse than I thought. 33 in one day?

I've only had four flights cancelled, but look at us - saying only four - and trading ideas about how to reroute. Isn't it pathetic that we are all having to find ways to work around this mess?

Why don't they just not sell tickets for flights if they don't plan to fly them? (I know, they were booked moths ago, like mine) Just so frustrated and disappointed in them.

This will likely cause me to fall short of my segments for 75K... I wonder if they care enough to make any accommodations for that?

Is anyone from AS listening/watching?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by chrisl137
The newly graduating pilots will cover Q400 routes, but they're also cancelling E175 routes - are they using E175s to cover some routes that would normally be Q400 and they'll restore them when they have the Q400 pilots, or do they have a shortage with the E175s, too, and it's just been lower profile?
Some of the new hires are going straight to the E175 according to the thread over at airlinepilotcentral. It sounds like the shortage of pilots is hurting both Q400 and E175 operations really. Less E175 operations overall right now but there's that the delay in taking delivery of new planes. I'm not clear on how the separation between the two aircraft works if a pilot is qualified for both, if they can be forced over to one or the other.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by tom911
Do any of the major carriers have an interline agreement with Southwest? I've never seen AA or UA reroute passengers over to Southwest, so I'd be surprised if Alaska/Horizon has an agreement to do that. It's just Southwest's way of doing business.
They don't need an interline agreement to get you on another carrier. They can cut you a check.

AS did that for me years ago on a cancel. Not sure if they still do that, but it's doable.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:03 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by channa
They don't need an interline agreement to get you on another carrier. They can cut you a check.

AS did that for me years ago on a cancel. Not sure if they still do that, but it's doable.
Same here. It took some "discussion" with the CS rep and it helps that I've been 75K for over 10 years but they did it.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:13 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by IStream
I've been 75K for over 10 years.
When did AS add the 75K level?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
If my Gmail archive is to be believed, in 2010.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by dayone
From my email archive:

"2010 also saw the launch of the new MVP Gold 75K tier. For those who have reached, or will soon reach, this status — congratulations! If not, we still greatly appreciate your business and will continue to offer you all the benefits you currently enjoy."
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by rustykettel
I'm not clear on how the separation between the two aircraft works if a pilot is qualified for both, if they can be forced over to one or the other.
I don’t believe you can be qualified to fly both aircraft at the same time, unless they’re from the same “family” (ie 737NG/MAX, 757/767, A319/20/21 etc).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.