Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QX cutting flights due to pilot shortage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
True...so do you think the 8:55pm flight is really 100% sold out two months in-advance or do they ever just cancel this far in-advance due to low capacity?
If it is cancelled it disappears from the schedule, it is still on the schedule, just apparently has no seats available.

Lots of east coast transcons come in, surely they can fill one between 6:55 and 10
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by 3ur0tr45h
Looking at future bookings out of BLI and anything with a QX connection is showing a $200-300 premium for the leg! This time last year it was actually cheaper to fly BLI>SEA>? than to fly SEA>?. This shortage is brutal on me. Flights that used to cost ~$300 are now north of $800. Looks like I'm going to be driving to SEA in the dark for a while...
My PDX-OAK QX flights this year have more often than not been $50-100 more than comparable PDX-SFO flights. I've chalked it up to small planes and hence fewer/no deeply discounted fares. It is more convenient though if you have to cancel to have more people already having self-booked onto SFO planes; empty seats don't need rebooking . . .
Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
My PDX-OAK QX flights this year have more often than not been $50-100 more than comparable PDX-SFO flights. I've chalked it up to small planes and hence fewer/no deeply discounted fares.
PDX-SFO is also a FAR more competitive route--they're going up against UA with plenty of daily frequencies as well as WN now that VX isn't competition anymore, so you're just going to get extremely low fares as you would on, say, PDX-LAX. And it's not entirely a one-and-done route, even before the VX acquisition, since some of those planes continue on to SJD and PVR as one-stops.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by jinglish
PDX-SFO is also a FAR more competitive route--they're going up against UA with plenty of daily frequencies as well as WN now that VX isn't competition anymore, so you're just going to get extremely low fares as you would on, say, PDX-LAX. And it's not entirely a one-and-done route, even before the VX acquisition, since some of those planes continue on to SJD and PVR as one-stops.
True, but QX also doesn't attempt to match the WN PDX-OAK fares. They're often just an outlier far above all other PDX-SFO/OAK fares.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by 3ur0tr45h
Looking at future bookings out of BLI and anything with a QX connection is showing a $200-300 premium for the leg! This time last year it was actually cheaper to fly BLI>SEA>? than to fly SEA>?. This shortage is brutal on me. Flights that used to cost ~$300 are now north of $800. Looks like I'm going to be driving to SEA in the dark for a while...
Is ~$200-$300 the cost of a BLI-SEA ticket? I have my suspicions upthread that AS is pricing certain QX routes (such as EUG-PDX) as end on end rather than through fares to push price sensitive customers off to alternate transportation and decrease QX seat demand.

Originally Posted by mbluecpa
It apparently is/was sold out. Currently showing Y2, so available as of now.

DL is running four flights on this route on 9/3 which is also below typical frequency.
EF seat map is showing only 3 blocked and 4 open so it doesn't look like seats are being held back either.

Interestingly, EF shows availability on VS5923 that evening but not the underlying DL flight.
Attached Images  

Last edited by rustykettel; Jul 5, 2017 at 10:37 am
Old Jul 6, 2017, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
If it is cancelled it disappears from the schedule, it is still on the schedule, just apparently has no seats available.

Lots of east coast transcons come in, surely they can fill one between 6:55 and 10
But sometimes airlines will zero out a flight that they intend to cancel in the next scheduling run. When I worked for AA, we did this from time to time.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
it's likely that people who had booked tickets on the many other flights that used to exist on that Sunday were all put on that 8:55pm departure, causing it to become booked full far in advance. going from a flight every 30-40 minutes to just one over a 3 hour period is going to result in some significant reshuffling when those other flights get nixed from the schedule.

it's a bit surprising to me that AS isn't handling more of the PDX-SEA traffic with 737s during this QX crunch, but I guess with their aggressive growth recently, they don't have the frames to do it.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by N1120A
The sole reason for the shortage is the regionals stubbornly refusing to pay pilots what they are worth.
That is part of the reason, but absolutely not the "sole" reason. There are lots of reasons for the shortage, and more than one possible solution:

http://aviationweek.com/commercial-a...pilot-shortage
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I rea in the news, wish I could find the article again, that regionals are fighting hard to get the 1500 hours requirement removed back to the old 250 hours requirement as they can't find pilots with the proper qualifications and that the low stating pay exacerbates the problem.

And how many of the regionals fly on their own and not as part of a contract with a major? That is if not owned by the major. They bid low to get the contracts so they are already starting in a hole as to what they can pay their employees.

AS probably found a way for it to be cheaper to contract SkyWest in better planes than it costs them to fly the Q400's everywhere.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Baze
AS probably found a way for it to be cheaper to contract SkyWest in better planes than it costs them to fly the Q400's everywhere.
My guess is Alaska uses competition between Horizon and Skywest to keep cost low for itself, having them bid against each other. I doubt they would been keen to loose either.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
My guess is Alaska uses competition between Horizon and Skywest to keep cost low for itself, having them bid against each other. I doubt they would been keen to loose either.
Well, Horizon is owned by Alaska Air Group which also owns Alaska Airlines and Virgin America, so don't think there is much bidding going on with them.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Bethelite
That is part of the reason, but absolutely not the "sole" reason. There are lots of reasons for the shortage, and more than one possible solution:

http://aviationweek.com/commercial-a...pilot-shortage
Interesting article. And good question about what starting pay would be required to incentivize people to become pilots (or incentivize pilots who already have the requisite training to stick with the career instead of defecting to other career paths).

I don't know what that figure is, but let's say that it's double what they make now. If the average QX pilot pulls down $70/hr, the average Horizon stage length is 1.5 hours, the average load factor is 80%, and the seat capacity is 76 seats, then on any given flight, $2.20 per passenger goes to pilot pay.

Double that pilot pay and now the pilot pay component increases to $4.40 per passenger per flight.

I don't know about you, but I'd be willing to pay $2.20 more for an airfare if it meant that the pilot flying my plane was much more likely to be experienced and safe because they have >1K hours.

So yes, contract payments from AS to QX will have to increase, but to double or even quadruple pilot pay, rates (and consequently fares) won't have to go up all that much. Seems like it should be quite easy for the market to respond and bump rates up without drastically affecting fares or profits.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Chugach
E175's would be great, but they're not certified to operate in ground temps on the wrong side of -40. Thankfully that's not a regular occurrence but it does happen, particularly in FAI. DL had to cancel some FAI flights last winter during a cold snap for that reason; DL also appears to have adjusted their midwinter FAI schedule to a midday turn, I would assume due to the theory that's it's warmer at 2:00 PM than it is at 1:00 AM.
AC had the same issue with 190s out of YEG and YWG in the past.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Baze
Well, Horizon is owned by Alaska Air Group which also owns Alaska Airlines and Virgin America, so don't think there is much bidding going on with them.
Actually that already happens. The threat of Skywest taking QX routes is thrown at QX pilots at contract negotiation time in an effort for AS to keep costs down.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 7:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by jackal
I don't know about you, but I'd be willing to pay $2.20 more for an airfare if it meant that the pilot flying my plane was much more likely to be experienced and safe because they have >1K hours.
It doesn't work that way though, flying 1K+ hours in a hot air balloon or whatever won't make pilots safer flying for an airline. It's actually the opposite, flying for an airline in a turbine powered aircraft is a whole different animal. It's far safer to have pilots gain enough experience with the basics, then start under the watchful eye and training of an airline. That's how virtually all other professional groups operate, would you care if your auto mechanic has over 1000 hours working on tricycles prior to working on cars?

Last edited by alphaeagle; Jul 8, 2017 at 9:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.