Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QX cutting flights due to pilot shortage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Chugach
As much as they scaled QX back in ANC, you start to wonder if it's worth the effort to maintain a QX base for a few token FAI flights.
The talk amongst local management in ANC (not that they have any power over broad network operations, but I think the management rumor-mill is probably slightly more reliable than the FA rumor mill ) is that while the Q400s are leaving because they really don't do well in winter climates, QX will be staying and not only replacing current Q400 routes with E175s but also expanding the intra-AK QX route network with E175 service to a lot of places that are too thin to support a full 737--stuff that's served by the Combi now and would have to be served with a half-empty all-passenger 737 once the Combis are retired.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by jackal
The talk amongst local management in ANC (not that they have any power over broad network operations, but I think the management rumor-mill is probably slightly more reliable than the FA rumor mill ) is that while the Q400s are leaving because they really don't do well in winter climates, QX will be staying and not only replacing current Q400 routes with E175s but also expanding the intra-AK QX route network with E175 service to a lot of places that are too thin to support a full 737--stuff that's served by the Combi now and would have to be served with a half-empty all-passenger 737 once the Combis are retired.
I don't see how QX is going to be adding routes in AK when they don't have enough pilots to fly what they already have.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by jackal
E175's would be great, but they're not certified to operate in ground temps on the wrong side of -40. Thankfully that's not a regular occurrence but it does happen, particularly in FAI. DL had to cancel some FAI flights last winter during a cold snap for that reason; DL also appears to have adjusted their midwinter FAI schedule to a midday turn, I would assume due to the theory that's it's warmer at 2:00 PM than it is at 1:00 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I realize that some of the SEA-PDX shuttle frequencies are being cut, but I didn't realize how large some of the gaps are....for example, just looked at a dummy booking for SEA-PDX on Sept. 3rd and after the 6:30pm flight, there are no flights to PDX until after 10pm??? Seems like an odd time of day to have that long of a gap with no shuttle flights.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
There's an 8:55 pm on the timetable too, might just be sold out.

Sundays are lighter on the schedule, there are a good six flights on the timetable that week which run Mon-Sat only (three of which are evening departures), and several more that are Mon-Fri or even Tue-Fri -- perhaps some reductions over the holiday weekend?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kieron
There's an 8:55 pm on the timetable too, might just be sold out.

Sundays are lighter on the schedule, there are a good six flights on the timetable that week which run Mon-Sat only (three of which are evening departures), and several more that are Mon-Fri or even Tue-Fri -- perhaps some reductions over the holiday weekend?
I see the 8:55pm on the timetable....hard to believe it is sold out two months in-advance...I wonder if it's being taken off the schedule but still showing on the timetable?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
That sounds crazy.

Wonder if AS is being plugged in the middle to cover lift?

Granted it is a slower travel day.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kieron
perhaps some reductions over the holiday weekend?
This looks to be the case. The Sunday prior, there are four flights between 6:30p and 10:05p, and on the Sunday following there are six.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
There are not as many pilots due to the insane new requirements to be a pilot. It's cheaper and quicker to get your PhD. And there is no reason for it. Doesn't help that pay isn't that good, but certainly not the only reason why there is a shortage now. People can't afford to meet the new arbitrary requirements to fly for an airline.
That's an exaggeration about the price and time to get a Ph.D vs. becoming a pilot.

The sole reason for the shortage is the regionals stubbornly refusing to pay pilots what they are worth.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by N1120A
That's an exaggeration about the price and time to get a Ph.D vs. becoming a pilot.

The sole reason for the shortage is the regionals stubbornly refusing to pay pilots what they are worth.
It's not really that much of an exaggeration. You can price it out yourself, obviously depends on a lot of factors on what the total cost in time and money will actually be. Just a few years ago it wasn't as bad as it is now due to the huge increase in the minimum hours needed.

Also, while you are building the minimum amount of hours before you can fly for a commercial airline you are losing a ton of money in lost potential revenue from a different career path. At least with most programs to become a doctor you are learning and improving during that time with other professionals rather than being on your own, potentially developing bad habits which is quite dangerous.

Airlines can't afford what a new pilot is worth now. It's a pretty easy fix though, reduce the cost of being able to fly for an airline, which also has the added benefit of increasing safety (get rid of the higher minimum hours flown requirement). It's better to have a newish pilot gaining experience in a professional environment than on their own. Then increase the pilot pay to what you'd expect someone would get for the amount of education and training they've already gotten prior to being hired.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:42 am

From personal experience here is the current price of admission to the regional's:
4 year degree $20,000 per year (tuition plus housing) = $80,000
Additional lab fees for flight training= $60,000
Total Aviation College Costs at a Public University= $140,000

After that is a year or two of flying around working as a CFI to build hours. Currently this same University is recruiting for CFI's for their flight program, the pay is $23 per hour with no minimum guarantee and no benefits. That means in the winter when weather is bad and you can't fly, you don't get paid.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I realize that some of the SEA-PDX shuttle frequencies are being cut, but I didn't realize how large some of the gaps are....for example, just looked at a dummy booking for SEA-PDX on Sept. 3rd and after the 6:30pm flight, there are no flights to PDX until after 10pm??? Seems like an odd time of day to have that long of a gap with no shuttle flights.
Sunday of Labor Day weekend may not be so busy and a good place to cut flights and save pilot time.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Sunday of Labor Day weekend may not be so busy and a good place to cut flights and save pilot time.
True...so do you think the 8:55pm flight is really 100% sold out two months in-advance or do they ever just cancel this far in-advance due to low capacity?
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
True...so do you think the 8:55pm flight is really 100% sold out two months in-advance or do they ever just cancel this far in-advance due to low capacity?
It apparently is/was sold out. Currently showing Y2, so available as of now.

DL is running four flights on this route on 9/3 which is also below typical frequency.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: AS G75K
Looking at future bookings out of BLI and anything with a QX connection is showing a $200-300 premium for the leg! This time last year it was actually cheaper to fly BLI>SEA>? than to fly SEA>?. This shortage is brutal on me. Flights that used to cost ~$300 are now north of $800. Looks like I'm going to be driving to SEA in the dark for a while...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.