Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QX cutting flights due to pilot shortage

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: DL Gold
From watching PDX over the last week it seems like things have settled in. Virtually no CXL's that didn't have replacement flights and those were all OO flights. Over the last few days it seems like there is only an occasional 9xxx cxl that is in same slot as an on time OO flight, but that's about it.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
ANC QX pilot base is closing next March according to pilot forums.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by rustykettel
ANC QX pilot base is closing next March according to pilot forums.
That confirms what we heard on the ramp this summer during our AS tour. Q400 just doesn't perform as well for AS up north.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:11 am

OAK-PDX 737 service extended to March 10. SMF-PDX 737 hasn't extended past Jan 2 yet.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by beckoa
That confirms what we heard on the ramp this summer during our AS tour. Q400 just doesn't perform as well for AS up north.
My intuition says that it’s not so much an issue of performance as it is an issue of whether it’s really worth it to stash three Q400’s in ANC, isolated from the rest of QX, just to operate a few token flights to FAI, ADQ, and SCC. Particularly when QX is having a rough go of it operationally in the lower 48, it probably makes the most sense to bolster the resources at SEA/PDX for now. I’d look for ANC-FAI to slowly contract in frequencies to something like 4X or 5X daily, and I also wouldn’t be too surprised if ANC-ADQ goes down to 1X daily on AS, at least in the winter.

I also wonder if this will hasten the long-rumored arrival of E175’s for some of the intra-Alaska routes, or if AS will be content flying around half-empty 73G’s to the Bush.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG
According to the Pullman airport board, the following amount of flights were cancelled to SEA due to piliot/crew issues:

April: 2 of 119 scheduled flights that month
May: 2 of 119
June: 5 of 91
July: 6 of 89
August: 11 of 92
September: 14 of 88

There was also an unusual amount of mechanical cancellations this summer too
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by mattime
According to the Pullman airport board, the following amount of flights were cancelled to SEA due to piliot/crew issues:

April: 2 of 119 scheduled flights that month
May: 2 of 119
June: 5 of 91
July: 6 of 89
August: 11 of 92
September: 14 of 88

There was also an unusual amount of mechanical cancellations this summer too
Any aircraft get stuck in PUW?

Would be nice for AS to offer larger aircraft for some of the school breaks/etc. now that PUW has a larger runway.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by beckoa
Any aircraft get stuck in PUW?

Would be nice for AS to offer larger aircraft for some of the school breaks/etc. now that PUW has a larger runway.
Runway is done in fall 2018, I believe. They’ve moved several palouse hills, crazy!
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by mattime
Runway is done in fall 2018, I believe. They’ve moved several palouse hills, crazy!
Wow, didn't realize it wasn't done yet.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
OAK-PDX 737 service extended to March 10. SMF-PDX 737 hasn't extended past Jan 2 yet.
SMF-PDX is 3x Q400 Jan 2-Jan 31, then 2x 737 until March 10, which appears to the end of the current updated schedule.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Remedy for below mess

Originally Posted by philemer
Set up boi-pdx-bos trip many months ago, using GGUs. Looking forward to a relaxing experience in F. Awoke at 5am on Tue. and checked my email/text messages while making coffee. And I see "your boi-pdx flt has been delayed". Stomach drops. I call AS and after 10-12 min. on hold they tell me it's a 3+ hr. delay because of "crew rest" ( I asked, she didn't volunteer) so I'll miss connection to BOS. To AS's credit the rep. found us flts on UA, boi-sfo-bos. That's the good news. The bad news was that we were in Y, in middle seats in different rows. We survived and arrived BOS about 2 hrs later than originally planned. We survived but are really saddened by the pilot shortage. Some of the folks upstream were damaged a lot more than we were.

The rep. said a supervisor was going to fix it so we could use the GGUs at a future day. Where would I find that in my account? Thx
After a few back and forth emails we settled on:
-AS miles credited for flts we should have taken
-$100 CS certs for each of us (we have no status)
-GGUs returned to friend who gave them to us

We asked for extra miles and they said "no, we got you to your destination less than 2 hrs late" (true)

Fair? I'm not really happy but putting it all behind me. Life goes on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.