Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QX cutting flights due to pilot shortage

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Timetable PDF hasn't been updated with the latest aircraft changes, but in there the following routes had CRJ for some of the flights:
SEA-PDX, SEA-GEG, SEA-BOI, PDX-GEG, PDX-BOI
Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:13 pm

Well I finally got bit by this. Three PDX-OAK flights in Oct cancelled and my wife had a PDX-SMF flight cancel. Southwest will be the beneficiary for all four. There is a VX SFO flight that could work for me, but Southwest matched me to A-list and I need six paid legs to requalify for next year; I'd also prefer not to reward AS for this so it works out well that I can just switch to WN.

I do fear that WN is my destiny if I want to fly to OAK. Maybe I should just embrace that now.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Ugh

Add me to the List.

SEA-PSC was gutted, ended up with a 5.5 hour layover in Seattle. Ended up cancelling that portion of the itinerary and booking through Delta. I reaaaalllly don't want to switch to Delta, but Alaska seems hell bent on ensuring I have no choice.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
chapter two: I think I posted a couple weeks ago that my Oct flight (LAX-PDX-SEA, doing it for the miles) had converted from Q400 to CRJ and stretched the connection from 1:01 to 1:30; this morning's email moved me from that flight to a CRJ an hour later

called the MVPG line and requested LAX-SJC-SEA ... I'd booked Premium on LAX-PDX, but to my surprise the agent confirmed me into U on both these flights ^

evening "shuttle" service from PDX is down to four departures: 1830 (Q400), 1900 (CRJ), 2130 (CRJ), 2330 (CRJ)
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by rustykettel
I'm seeing a 10% increase on PDX-EUG through the end of schedule. Additionally seems like a number of AS destinations are increasing priced as EUG-PDX + PDX-CCC rather than through fares. One way to decrease demand for QX flights.
And now EUG-PDX is on sale this week, even slightly below where it was before the price increases. EUG-SEA has been in the weekly sale for several weeks now. Maybe AS was pushing too many away?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jrl767
chapter two: I think I posted a couple weeks ago that my Oct flight (LAX-PDX-SEA, doing it for the miles) had converted from Q400 to CRJ and stretched the connection from 1:01 to 1:30; this morning's email moved me from that flight to a CRJ an hour later

called the MVPG line and requested LAX-SJC-SEA ... I'd booked Premium on LAX-PDX, but to my surprise the agent confirmed me into U on both these flights ^

evening "shuttle" service from PDX is down to four departures: 1830 (Q400), 1900 (CRJ), 2130 (CRJ), 2330 (CRJ)
Hmm, seems the agents might be given more leeway with this fiasco, which is logical. @:-)
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
he did the basic rebooking with no problem; when he asked if he could help with anything else, I said that the base LAX-SJC-SEA fare was actually less than I'd paid for my original ticket (which had automatically booked into Premium on LAX-PDX), so it would be appropriate for him to either credit the difference to My Wallet or comp me into Premium on at least one of the new flights ... he went away for about 5 min and came back to tell me he would be glad to issue the credit if I really wanted to go back on the UG list for Premium
Old Sep 7, 2017, 3:25 am

On an award from SEA to SFO, operated by Horizon but my schedule got changed to an earlier flight operated by Alaska.

Seems like the original Horizon flight is no longer available.

Hope AS can change my flight to a later flight... 6am is way too early for a flight!
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

see above ... call in, say the early flight is unacceptable (for instance, you're dependent on public transportation to get to the airport) and tell them what flight you would prefer ... as long as your attitude/voice convey "please help fix this" rather than "I demand you fix this now" you should be fine
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Today's Seattle Times re: Skywest increasing their fleet to assume more Horizon routes.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business...zons-troubles/
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:31 pm

Horizon Air pilot shortage to continue into 2018 (paywalled)

http://dashboard.flightglobal.com/app/#/articles/440896

Not sure if anything new in there
Old Sep 9, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: DL Gold
I've got a Q400 flight PDX-SEA on 11/15 to make an international connection (on same EVA air ticket). How far out have they been "adjusting" schedules? Have they at least been able to prevent same day cancellations due to the shortage?

If they change me and I want a different flight would I call EVA or AS?
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Asquared1
I've got a Q400 flight PDX-SEA on 11/15 to make an international connection (on same EVA air ticket). How far out have they been "adjusting" schedules? Have they at least been able to prevent same day cancellations due to the shortage?

If they change me and I want a different flight would I call EVA or AS?
Month out I've seen changes.

And apparently there have been flights cancelled same day. OO had been replacing QX on some, but not sure recently how it's been handled.

As far as changing your ticket, who issued your QX flight?
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
Month out I've seen changes.

And apparently there have been flights cancelled same day. OO had been replacing QX on some, but not sure recently how it's been handled.

As far as changing your ticket, who issued your QX flight?
Ticket Issued by Eva
Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Asquared1
Ticket Issued by Eva
Do you mean issued by EVA, or just issued on EVA ticket stock? Contact the party that issued the ticket - EVA, travel agent, whatever. That's an IATA convention for schedule changes.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Sep 9, 2017 at 10:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.