Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:01 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

I’m sure CX is going to be thrilled to have 50-75% of their US-HKG inventory for most of a year nicked by people paying 5 to10% of the ordinary price.

Queue the whiners once the tickets get yanked...

Wrong. Queue the whiners who didn't get in on this in time. (Including me)
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
Wrong. Queue the whiners who didn't get in on this in time. (Including me)
Well good for the ones who jumped. I didn’t because my long distance travel is taped out for 2019, and i’m not doing 24 hour turns just because Krug.
ukinny2000 and jinglish like this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:01 am

Well good for the ones who jumped. I didn’t because my long distance travel is taped out for 2019, and i’m not doing 24 hour turns just because Krug.
Ditto. A while back I had booked a CX F from MLE to JFK for the end of Feb using AS miles and have been monitoring F availability for the travel date hoping I could get on an earlier flight. However, the cabins on all those flights went from F5/F4 over the weekend to F1/F0 today. Guess I know who will be in the cabin with me lol
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Still F5 on my award flight in May. I picked the correct flight as others the same day are almost sold out in F. hopefully they don't decide to degrade the experience due to this.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ukinny2000
Ditto. A while back I had booked a CX F from MLE to JFK for the end of Feb using AS miles and have been monitoring F availability for the travel date hoping I could get on an earlier flight. However, the cabins on all those flights went from F5/F4 over the weekend to F1/F0 today. Guess I know who will be in the cabin with me lol
Yeah, I already have a RTW set up for this summer, and for winter 2019 I am undecided but leaning towards Mexico or Hawaii. Vietnam could have worked I guess but for whatever reason I just went “nah”. Good for those who picked it up (though I am LOL’ing at the folks who are finding out Vietnam isn’t going to let them do immediate turns).
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:06 am

Yeah, I already have a RTW set up for this summer, and for winter 2019 I am undecided but leaning towards Mexico or Hawaii. Vietnam could have worked I guess but for whatever reason I just went “nah”. Good for those who picked it up (though I am LOL’ing at the folks who are finding out Vietnam isn’t going to let them do immediate turns).
it does boggle the mind to go all the way to VietNam with the idea of only doing an immediate turn. I mean, to each their own but when you have places like the gigantic Hang Son Doong jungle cavern to explore there, it seems a shame to not make the most of it.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: AS
Gary Leff (view from the wing) is reporting that these mistake fares are being honored.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by pcoll
Gary Leff (view from the wing) is reporting that these mistake fares are being honored.
From the MR thread (and more directly relevant to this one), out of award availability.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
CX tweeted about honoring them:

Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel
From the MR thread (and more directly relevant to this one), out of award availability.
I think that was just speculation (nothing official) I also don't think it's really accurate. I'm not even sure what that would mean since on some flights I'm sure there were more seats sold than there were award seats.

But of course, more seats sold means less award availability, so there is an effect.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:10 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
it does boggle the mind to go all the way to VietNam with the idea of only doing an immediate turn. I mean, to each their own but when you have places like the gigantic Hang Son Doong jungle cavern to explore there, it seems a shame to not make the most of it.
I am surprised at the amount of NA travellers' interest in this fare. I would've thought it would've been on our side of the pond who'd buy this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Seriously. The idea of paying money to fly anywhere (on any product) as the sole end of travel has no appeal to me.

My wife and I were fortunate enough to be the only people in CX F (we had the whole cabin to ourselves) last trip, but after a few hours, I just wanted to fast-forward to being at home. I understand where people are coming from, since I was also once young and inexperienced, but man.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Just looked that up and it does look amazing. I went to Vietnam for a few weeks in January and didn't even know about that. Damn!
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ralphs
Seriously. The idea of paying money to fly anywhere (on any product) as the sole end of travel has no appeal to me.

My wife and I were fortunate enough to be the only people in CX F (we had the whole cabin to ourselves) last trip, but after a few hours, I just wanted to fast-forward to being at home. I understand where people are coming from, since I was also once young and inexperienced, but man.
Its a ton of RDM and knock out a whole status level in one trip in luxury is the benefit. I almost booked J but decided not to. Its not too much more expensive to buy the miles w/ 50% bonus and pick the destination but earnings is where this one is at.

I know a lot of people buy AS points to fly CX. I wonder how much of an effect this will have on mileage sales when CX pulls award availability?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by kapooncha
Just looked that up and it does look amazing. I went to Vietnam for a few weeks in January and didn't even know about that. Damn!
Don't worry about missing it... I looked it up when I went last month as I was equally as amazed but at $3000pp and limited dates I thought I would give it a miss!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.