Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
I guess I should go and buy a lottery ticket since I managed to nab a mixed CX J/F Award from PVG to JFK on New Years Day with a stopover in JFK.

Called AS back to try and change the JFKLAX date and the agent informed me that the ticket I have now is invalid and therefore they can't honor their mistake and would need to cancel out JFKLAX in order for Cathay to accept me on their flight. I don't think AS is allowed to change anything post-purchase and the supervisor explained that the JFKLAX portion is invalid so even if I left the itinerary as is, the JFKLAX would auto-cancel.

Does this seem right to y'all?
Sounds right. Though I don't think it will auto cancel. It's not a valid award routing so they are under no obligation to make the change for you. Hopefully supervisor didn't do anything to make it auto cancel.

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
There is nothing for CX to do as they have no flight serving that route JFK-LAX and your dealing is with AS. Do you have an email confirmation from AS showing that they confirmed you as you claim ? Only then can you begin to hope that they will fix things (by paying out of their own pocket).
​​​​Answers to #1-3:
1. AS doesn't allow east coast CX gateway when traveling to/from West coast. That is correct which is why op is having the problem

2. HKG is likely just the connecting point. You can stop for under 24 hours on international itin and it doesn't take away from the stopover. Though technically AS award is only supposed to allow the stopover in HKG but in practice it's not always enrorced if one wants to take stopover at international gateway (LAX for example)

3. They mean JFK-LAX on Alaska
​​​​​​

Last edited by CDKing; Dec 30, 2018 at 9:17 am Reason: Fixing some quotes. merging on smartphone = bad idea
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I guess I should go and buy a lottery ticket since I managed to nab a mixed CX J/F Award from PVG to JFK on New Years Day with a stopover in JFK.

Called AS back to try and change the JFKLAX date and the agent informed me that the ticket I have now is invalid and therefore they can't honor their mistake and would need to cancel out JFKLAX in order for Cathay to accept me on their flight. I don't think AS is allowed to change anything post-purchase and the supervisor explained that the JFKLAX portion is invalid so even if I left the itinerary as is, the JFKLAX would auto-cancel.

Does this seem right to y'all?
Mostly. Pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered. I would have STFU about your backtracking/invalid itinerary (rule one when you travel hack an invalid award itinerary: don’t call the airline and call attention to it) and accepted and flown the award as booked. The ticket would have been valid had you left well enough alone. Check the ticket online and see if it still is valid. If so fly it and consider yourself lucky you didn’t mess it up.

ralphs and jinglish like this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I'm hoping to book HKG-SFO for Jan 2, 2020, when it becomes possible to do so. Given that it's right after New Years do I even have a chance? Not too familiar with CX availability patterns and I know AS doesn't always see what everyone else does.

EDIT: Should specify I'm looking for J/F.
Is there a chance? Yes. A good chance? Probably not when the AS schedule opens, but I would not give up hope.

The big problem is that other airlines can book CX awards much further out than Alaska. CX, BA, QF: All of these programs can book beyond the AS booking window so for high demand dates they have a big advantage. AS gets the leftovers of what those programs do not grab first.

If you are flexible on dates there is a better chance and if you are willing to put in the effort for a yearlong search it is likely something will become available at some point either on Jan 2 or within a couple of days of that sometime before the flight departs. Consider also JAL flights which even though there is a connection in Tokyo is a good option.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Is there a chance? Yes. A good chance? Probably not when the AS schedule opens, but I would not give up hope.

The big problem is that other airlines can book CX awards much further out than Alaska. CX, BA, QF: All of these programs can book beyond the AS booking window so for high demand dates they have a big advantage. AS gets the leftovers of what those programs do not grab first.

If you are flexible on dates there is a better chance and if you are willing to put in the effort for a yearlong search it is likely something will become available at some point either on Jan 2 or within a couple of days of that sometime before the flight departs. Consider also JAL flights which even though there is a connection in Tokyo is a good option.
Yeah the Avios booking window advantage is what has me discouraged. I'm definitely considering JAL, and also EVA via *A programs, but I've never flown CX and the rates are quite good which is what interested me. I'll probably take your advice and just stalk availability every day and have something else booked as a backup.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
FWIW, I've had good luck with AA and AS miles for a couple of days after New Year. Travel on these days seems less in demand. Then all seats disappear until after 1/12 or even 1/15.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Yeah the Avios booking window advantage is what has me discouraged. I'm definitely considering JAL, and also EVA via *A programs, but I've never flown CX and the rates are quite good which is what interested me. I'll probably take your advice and just stalk availability every day and have something else booked as a backup.
Using AwardNexus to search daily for availability and email you the results could really help you here.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by IncyWincy
1. There must be a mistake in your post. You say you nabbed an award from PVG to JFK with stopover in JFK. You cannot have JFK as destination and stopover point.

2. Did you mean JFK was stopover point and LAX was destination? Even so, not possible because that would involve 2 stopovers and my understanding is that there can only be one, being HKG. CX has no direct flight from PVG to LAX or JFK.

3. A third thing that is impossible about your post is JFK-LAX because there is no CX flight serving that route.

There is nothing for CX to do as they have no flight serving that route JFK-LAX and your dealing is with AS. Do you have an email confirmation from AS showing that they confirmed you as you claim ? Only then can you begin to hope that they will fix things (by paying out of their own pocket).

I was saying that I have a CX Award to JFK but I should have been more clear about the add-on segment from JFK on AS metal. I didn’t realize that CX had HKG-only stopover since I didn’t have the opportunity to read the Wiki yet.

Originally Posted by CDKing
Sounds right. Though I don't think it will auto cancel. It's not a valid award routing so they are under no obligation to make the change for you. Hopefully supervisor didn't do anything to make it auto cancel.

​​​​Answers to #1-3:
1. AS doesn't allow east coast CX gateway when traveling to/from West coast. That is correct which is why op is having the problem

2. HKG is likely just the connecting point. You can stop for under 24 hours on international itin and it doesn't take away from the stopover. Though technically AS award is only supposed to allow the stopover in HKG but in practice it's not always enrorced if one wants to take stopover at international gateway (LAX for example)

3. They mean JFK-LAX on Alaska
​​​​​​

You’re correct, I was looking at the AS website for examples of what would be permitted with JL but didn’t realize CX was more stricter so we removed the stopover in JFK to make the award ticket valid for travel.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Mostly. Pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered. I would have STFU about your backtracking/invalid itinerary (rule one when you travel hack an invalid award itinerary: don’t call the airline and call attention to it) and accepted and flown the award as booked. The ticket would have been valid had you left well enough alone. Check the ticket online and see if it still is valid. If so fly it and consider yourself lucky you didn’t mess it up.

How does one STFU when you have to call AS to book the ticket in first place as CX is not one of these carriers that customers can book online. If one of their agents genuinely made a mistake in allowing me to have a stopover, I expect them to honor whatever is already in place however when they threatened to auto-cancel JFKLAX after I arrived in New York, I don’t consider that acceptable as they issued a valid e-ticket with the routing/dates which is why I came here to double check.

Now that I have more background information on CX, I called them back to remove the stopover in New York so that I won’t encounter any issues when I travel tomorrow.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by richh1833
Has anyone had any luck with getting HKG-JNB and v.v space? I've been checking recently and it seems that there is nothing available at all in J.
I have two ticketed hkg-jnb in mid august, with a cpt-jnb-sin-bkk award on SQ to return. At 45K miles in J, almost as good of a redemption as some AS partners.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was saying that I have a CX Award to JFK but I should have been more clear about the add-on segment from JFK on AS metal. I didn’t realize that CX had HKG-only stopover since I didn’t have the opportunity to read the Wiki yet.

You’re correct, I was looking at the AS website for examples of what would be permitted with JL but didn’t realize CX was more stricter so we removed the stopover in JFK to make the award ticket valid for travel.

How does one STFU when you have to call AS to book the ticket in first place as CX is not one of these carriers that customers can book online. If one of their agents genuinely made a mistake in allowing me to have a stopover, I expect them to honor whatever is already in place however when they threatened to auto-cancel JFKLAX after I arrived in New York, I don’t consider that acceptable as they issued a valid e-ticket with the routing/dates which is why I came here to double check.

Now that I have more background information on CX, I called them back to remove the stopover in New York so that I won’t encounter any issues when I travel tomorrow.
You booked a ticket PVG-HKG-JFK(stop)-LAX without knowing it was an invalid award booking, having not read the wiki, called to change the length of the JFK stopover (still not knowing anything), and now you’re spooked?

Well, don’t take this personally, but that is just the way it is. If you call the airline’s attention to something they shouldn’t have given you...

Personally I’d ended your second call, watched the ticket, and would have flown it as booked (I doubt it would auto cancel, that’s not how AS award tickets work), but up to you.

Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:49 pm

I have been using BA to see reward ticket for Cathay to fly TPE-MLE round trip for 6 (I plan to use Alaska since I have more Alaska miles than BA...or should i use BA for this route?). Hoping for at least 2 business class for my parents and the rest of us can be in economy. What are the chances of me getting this booked for Jan 2020? It’s so hard to know if I see 6 seats at BA, will I even get a seat if I call Alaska?

I had so many failed attempt before...I saw 2 first class seats on BA but when I called ALaska, there was NONE!

thank you
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My general strategy is to book with AS miles when I want a stopover and another program when I don't.

But it really depends on how many miles you have and how easily you can get more. We don't have enough information to say who you "should" use to book.

Whether AS can see the space or not is another question entirely. And just because they can't see it today doesn't mean they won't be able to tomorrow. The system has some issues for sure.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by musicscrip
I have been using BA to see reward ticket for Cathay to fly TPE-MLE round trip for 6 (I plan to use Alaska since I have more Alaska miles than BA...or should i use BA for this route?). Hoping for at least 2 business class for my parents and the rest of us can be in economy. What are the chances of me getting this booked for Jan 2020? It’s so hard to know if I see 6 seats at BA, will I even get a seat if I call Alaska?

I had so many failed attempt before...I saw 2 first class seats on BA but when I called ALaska, there was NONE!

thank you

Read the wiki. This is two awards; TPE-HKG and HKG-MLE, AS does NOT offer TPE-MLE as a single award, your award breaks at HKG. If you are using BA to look for availability you MUST search by segment; you will get false positives otherwise. Your booking will cost MORE AS miles than BA Avios, because Avios are distance based and intra-Asia awards on AS are more than what you would pay for Avios on TPE-HKG.

Also, go read the CX forum sticky for equipment on various routes: CX does not fly F cabins on HKG-MLE, so it is very likely you were using BA to search TPE-MLE and were getting bogus results, which explains why AS cannot book you in F to MLE....

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...s-newbies.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...formation.html

Also, Jan 2020 will not be bookable using AS until Feb 2019...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Dec 31, 2018 at 3:58 pm
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Read the wiki. This is two awards; TPE-HKG and HKG-MLE, AS does NOT offer TPE-MLE as a single award, your award breaks at HKG. If you are using BA to look for availability you MUST search by segment; you will get false positives otherwise. Your booking will cost MORE AS miles than BA Avios, because Avios are distance based and intra-Asia awards on AS are more than what you would pay for Avios on TPE-HKG.
I do not see a mention in the wiki that TPE-MLE is two awards. Which part of the wiki were you referring to? If AS treats MLE as Asia it should be one award shouldn't it? Asia-Asia. From the map on the AS award chart page it looks like MLE is included in the AS definition of Asia. The map includes all of India and Sri Lanka in Asia.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:20 am

I am trying to book SFO to HKG in J. but find nothing on BA.com. not even in 2019 November. am I doing something wrong?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:35 am

Hi -

Nope. You can check the QF or JL sites. Remember that CX is not releasing as many seats as before and AS can't book until (first) all Asia Miles accounts and (second) all Oneworld accounts have a crack.

My only suggestion is to keep checking or expand your search to include other Wet Coast gateways -- LAX/SEA/YVR. And if you are flexible with your dates, wait until 7-14 days out when they might open up more seats.

And welcome to FlyerTalk.

Last edited by Orwaid; Jan 1, 2019 at 1:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.