Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
Has anybody flown long haul CX F in an empty cabin? I am the only passenger next week hkg bos.. would be awesome if it stayed that way.

more clutch if they’re serving Krug 2004 !
Yes.

Lots of everything, extra caviar. For breakfast, caviar with eggs.

I can recommend this ^
Mauibaby2008 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
That is VERY different than selling something to me below cost, which is what they are doing if they have to pay CX more than $1400 for that F seat.
Is AS paying cash or it balanced against AsiaMiles/MPC redemptions on AS, and trued up periodically? There’s also the crediting of miles earned on CX revenue tickets to Mileage Plan and v.v.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by rustykettel

Is AS paying cash or it balanced against AsiaMiles/MPC redemptions on AS, and trued up periodically? There’s also the crediting of miles earned on CX revenue tickets to Mileage Plan and v.v.
Not sure but from what little I have read about other FF programs it is usually the latter. There is a cash value assigned to the award redemptions and periodically whichever side has a balance has to pay up and airlines do not want to run up large imbalances so they try to tailor the program to keep the balance between them and their partner low. If one side consistently a has large cash balance owed for reward redemptions on a partner (after balancing with redemptions from the partner) you can bet a devalution is on the way.

Since AS sells miles all the time their strategy might be a little different. If they can gain more profit from selling miles than they pay out in award redemptions they may be OK with running a negative balance with a partner so long as they still turn a profit with the sold miles used to redeem.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I have never had the cabin to myself on BOS-HKG. at least one op-up
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Not sure but from what little I have read about other FF programs it is usually the latter. There is a cash value assigned to the award redemptions and periodically whichever side has a balance has to pay up and airlines do not want to run up large imbalances so they try to tailor the program to keep the balance between them and their partner low. If one side consistently a has large cash balance owed for reward redemptions on a partner (after balancing with redemptions from the partner) you can bet a devalution is on the way.

Since AS sells miles all the time their strategy might be a little different. If they can gain more profit from selling miles than they pay out in award redemptions they may be OK with running a negative balance with a partner so long as they still turn a profit with the sold miles used to redeem.
I agree. US Airways (prior to them taking oververmerging with AA) and Avianca from what I can tell have spent a good long time being *A premium class inventory consolidators by selling miles. It's possible AS is doing the same thing for their partners (and note that AA and UA are much more aggressive now in selling miles, both have executives who used to work at US). I don't think AS has to be making a LOT of money on the deal; the miles they sell to banks, etc. far outweigh the ones sold to consumers (go look at the financial details of the BofA deal in some AS investor reports). That could fund some CX F redemptions.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
I agree with that. I don't believe for a second that if I buy miles and then immediately redeem them, AS is taking a loss on that transaction.

Whether actual money changes hands on each transaction (unlikely) or a number is added to the balance sheet is largely irrelevant. Most businesses do not actually have cash on hand for all their "revenue". It still counts.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
Has anybody flown long haul CX F in an empty cabin? I am the only passenger next week hkg bos.. would be awesome if it stayed that way.

more clutch if they’re serving Krug 2004 !
Yes - ORD - HKG over the summer last year. I had my assigned seat for lounging about, another for my bed, and I ate a meal at a third. My understanding is CX is required to have 2 FAs servicing the F cabin if even one seat is occupied for safety reasons; you will get very attentive service if you seek it, as well as your own lavatory Those are mostly moot points though since CX F is usually quite good -- even when full. You can probably also get an extra pair of pajamas if you are nice.

If it's your first time flying CX F, note the FAs tend to stay out of the cabin unless called or doing meal service. If you think waiting patiently until they come through to ask for water, you will be waiting hours. They will happily come when you use the call button. This is (supposedly) to maximize privacy and reduce cabin noise.

Near landing they did bring a young girl up to F - I think she was unaccompanied minor or related to an FA and they wanted her to deplane before other pax. Otherwise I had the whole cabin all to myself.

The flight back, HKG - BOS, was completely full. Nonetheless, they encouraged me to dine on demand (napped immediately because I was in a food coma from the Pier then woke up for first meal service 5 hours later) and even insisted on giving me a second entree because they felt the first was too small. Even had time to chat with the FA about blogging and different airline F products!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:39 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Opening up F award space would probably result in AS paying something in the $469 to $700 range for the 70K redemption.
That sounds about right, someone on the CX forums said that reimbursement are sometimes quite similar to what staff pay on ID fares, so ~$300 for a TPAC J ticket, more for F obviously.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by ft543
That sounds about right, someone on the CX forums said that reimbursement are sometimes quite similar to what staff pay on ID fares, so ~$300 for a TPAC J ticket, more for F obviously.
Interestingly, but not directly related, on the phone an Alaska employee once mentioned that on a partner F award mixing AS and CX, CX gets almost all of the value of the 70k AS miles used (whatever their agreed upon $ currency equivalent comes out to) and Alaska (regardless of backtracking West-East Coast) only get around $60. (In that specific example, CX was ~7500 miles of the journey and AS was ~2500 miles.)

I would be surprised if Alaska pays more than $600. And with that said, in exchange for such a discount, Alaska is mostly stuck with few and far between flights and lack of client-facing search functionality for CX AS award space.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by CDKing
I have never had the cabin to myself on BOS-HKG. at least one op-up
7 days out and still 5 F seats for sale I will remain optimistic! I did have an entire CX F cabin to myself before, but it was I believe BKK HKG or something like that. Of course CX F is always phenomenal completely empty or completely full. Just in it for the novelty 😍
My CX F CGK HKG is showing 4F for sale. Might have a light load all the way through that would be something. Any idea what they serve as their champagne on intra Asia F? I believe my BKK HKG served Taittinger Comtes de Champagne which I remember enjoyed much more than Krug, at least that’s my memory of it.

Last edited by Mauibaby2008; Dec 8, 2018 at 2:39 am
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which BKK-HKG flight has F? The one I'm booked into only has J but if one of them has F I'll try to switch flights...
Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Which BKK-HKG flight has F? The one I'm booked into only has J but if one of them has F I'll try to switch flights...
Looks like I was wrong it was HKG BKK, possibly F was cut on this route though, I know Thai cut it this year as well.

Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not flying in that direction

I still have F for HKG - SFO though.... was hoping I could make some changes and get both.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
None that I am aware of. CX flies 3 Class A350 & B777 within Asia and between Asia & South Africa/Middle East/Australia. I believe they only deploy their B777 4 Class aircraft on TPAC & Europe. My recent awards were J to HKG (MEL & JNB) & F TPAC. One with a 2 month stopover as well.

James
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Does BA.com still show CX premium award availability? I'm seeing nothing at all for the rest of the month. I know it's the busy season but usually there is something, wasn't sure if it's a BA.com issue. I thought they only blocked showing the CX seats at T minus four days from departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.