Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
When checking I see the HKG-CPT/JNB flights leaving shortly after midnight. Have you confirmed the agent is using the workaround to see these flights? They need to search with a time of 1AM.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28160974-post748.html
Thanks! Yes I remembered soon after making the post. Found the flights!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
DPS-HKG-YYZ to MlE-HKG-YYZ

Has currently two one-way tickets in CX J for DPS-HKG-(stop two nights) - YYZ next April.

We have since switched our reservation from St Regis Bali to St Regis Maldives. So now we have to change our flight to MLE-HKG-(stop)-YYZ.

MLE- HKG only according to BA has two economy seats for the date we must travel. Any chance CX will release J? It’s an overnight flight (7 hours) so ideally we can sleep.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Has currently two one-way tickets in CX J for DPS-HKG-(stop two nights) - YYZ next April.

We have since switched our reservation from St Regis Bali to St Regis Maldives. So now we have to change our flight to MLE-HKG-(stop)-YYZ.

MLE- HKG only according to BA has two economy seats for the date we must travel. Any chance CX will release J? It’s an overnight flight (7 hours) so ideally we can sleep.
Always possible. Set up awardnexus so that you'll be emailed if they do.

As an aside, I'm quite familiar with Bali and the SR, but planning our first visit to Maldives. Leaning towards Conrad as they have family over-water villas. But still considering SR.

Jamie
Old Nov 3, 2018, 12:30 am

Hi,

Is CX still releasing last minute award seats (J/F class)? I used to see J/F class available one week before departure date. But it doesn't seem like it anymore?? I check LAX/SFO/YVR to HKG...but don't see anything available...

Thanks.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by apple1122
Hi,

Is CX still releasing last minute award seats (J/F class)? I used to see J/F class available one week before departure date. But it doesn't seem like it anymore?? I check LAX/SFO/YVR to HKG...but don't see anything available...

Thanks.
Tomorrow's (Nov 4) JFKHKG CX831 has F award. Nov 5 has two LAXHKG flights with J award. Did continue checking after that.

So the answer to your question is YES.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: GFF Plat, CX DM, SQ TPPS, AS 75K
Have tried a couple of times now with Alaska and they say that the computer is telling them "Host not found"

They say it's a common problem with Cathay redemptions on Alaska. Anyone else has similar experience?

Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I have had the issue once, but often it’s a specific agent who can’t see it more than anything else.

Originally Posted by HaikalS
Have tried a couple of times now with Alaska and they say that the computer is telling them "Host not found"

They say it's a common problem with Cathay redemptions on Alaska. Anyone else has similar experience?

Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did a search on British Airways to find the flights that I wanted with J and F award availability.

I called Alaska to book them, and they didn't see anything like the availability that the BA website shows. One flight in particular (BKK - HKG) showed 5 J award seats through BA and 0 through AS (that is a huge discrepancy)

And, the two options I had found for F travel (HKG-SFO and HKG-LAX, each showing 1 F award on BA) showed 0 on AS (she wasn't even able to see the flights until I told her about the "hour = 1" trick for flights leaving between midnight and 1am, but even after she used that trick to find the flights, she didn't find any availability)

Is this normal? Or is the agent doing something wrong? Am I? Is the only way to find flights really to have the agent go through things, flight by flight? With flexible travel dates and destination airports, like I have, that will take hours (even on BA it's pretty slow)
Old Nov 3, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I did a search on British Airways to find the flights that I wanted with J and F award availability.

I called Alaska to book them, and they didn't see anything like the availability that the BA website shows. One flight in particular (BKK - HKG) showed 5 J award seats through BA and 0 through AS (that is a huge discrepancy)

And, the two options I had found for F travel (HKG-SFO and HKG-LAX, each showing 1 F award on BA) showed 0 on AS (she wasn't even able to see the flights until I told her about the "hour = 1" trick for flights leaving between midnight and 1am, but even after she used that trick to find the flights, she didn't find any availability)

Is this normal? Or is the agent doing something wrong? Am I? Is the only way to find flights really to have the agent go through things, flight by flight? With flexible travel dates and destination airports, like I have, that will take hours (even on BA it's pretty slow)
Between variance in res agent skills and opaqueness around AS vs. OneWorld availability, it's really hard to say. If one agent is pulling in nothing consistently, it's probably best to just HUCA and see if the next agent has more luck on flights where BA says there's plenty of space.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried texting; same result.

Is there really "skill" involved? Don't they just pull up a flight and see if there are seats (I was giving her exact dates, times, and flight numbers, not asking her to search)? I understand that actually seeing a flight may require the "hour = 1" workaround... but is there more to it than that? This is a serious question -- I have no idea what the system looks like on their end.

She wasn't seeing no availability... just no J or F. She was seeing econ and premium econ.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA, AS
I tried texting; same result.

Is there really "skill" involved? Don't they just pull up a flight and see if there are seats (I was giving her exact dates, times, and flight numbers, not asking her to search)? I understand that actually seeing a flight may require the "hour = 1" workaround... but is there more to it than that? This is a serious question -- I have no idea what the system looks like on their end.

She wasn't seeing no availability... just no J or F. She was seeing econ and premium econ.
Are you checking multiple sources? QF or JAL in addition to BA? If they can see premium econ but no J or F on the same flight when showing on multiple other partners then this sounds like the BS that is going on with Qantas J and F availability ex US where AS shows none -- ever. Whether it is a an IT problem or a corporate decision to restrict awards we may never know because AS IT sucks so bad they may take years to fix it if they could even identify the problem and AS management is incompetent when it comes to understanding IT issues.

If people run into this they should file written complaints to upper management. Maybe get an influential media outlet to write an exposé on this AS incompetence and hope the bad PR spurs them into action since nothing else seems to work.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wasn't checking multiple sources, but I just did. Both JAL and BA show F award availability. AS phone and text agents bothj said no F or J availability.

The agent told me that different airlines have different agreements with different partners. I don't know if CX makes all their award space available on non-OneWorld partners (do they?)

The particular flight I'm looking at is CX872 on 3/23
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: GFF Plat, CX DM, SQ TPPS, AS 75K
Originally Posted by flyingislove
I have had the issue once, but often it’s a specific agent who can’t see it more than anything else.

Thanks! Tried again today and it worked fine!
Old Nov 4, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: UA, AS
I wasn't checking multiple sources, but I just did. Both JAL and BA show F award availability. AS phone and text agents bothj said no F or J availability.

The agent told me that different airlines have different agreements with different partners. I don't know if CX makes all their award space available on non-OneWorld partners (do they?)

The particular flight I'm looking at is CX872 on 3/23
You are looking for F, right? I do not see any PE or J on that flight.

It does show available on other partners in F. The fact that it is shortly after midnight rings alarm bells that it is most likely the midnight time bug that is preventing this from showing. Are you traveling HKG-SFO or are you connecting xxx-HKG-SFO? Even if you are not connecting, to help confirm whether this is related to the midnight time issue, I would ask AS to check for availability from somewhere else on the night before (you are looking for CX through HKG but do not mention HKG). So, try asking them to check (don't give them flight numbers right away) for any CX flights on 3/22 from (say) BKK-SFO without mentioning that the flights go through HKG. If the agent finds a BKK-SFO departing 3/22 that connects to CX872 in F on the morning of 3/23 then tell them that's great, drop the BKK-HKG segment and keep the HKG-SFO segment in F (or book it then drop the BKK-HKG if they have trouble the other way). If they are able to find it as a connecting flight the day before that means you were dealing with incompetent agents previously who could not handle the time issue.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
You are looking for F, right? I do not see any PE or J on that flight.

It does show available on other partners in F. The fact that it is shortly after midnight rings alarm bells that it is most likely the midnight time bug that is preventing this from showing. Are you traveling HKG-SFO or are you connecting xxx-HKG-SFO? Even if you are not connecting, to help confirm whether this is related to the midnight time issue, I would ask AS to check for availability from somewhere else on the night before (you are looking for CX through HKG but do not mention HKG). So, try asking them to check (don't give them flight numbers right away) for any CX flights on 3/22 from (say) BKK-SFO without mentioning that the flights go through HKG. If the agent finds a BKK-SFO departing 3/22 that connects to CX872 in F on the morning of 3/23 then tell them that's great, drop the BKK-HKG segment and keep the HKG-SFO segment in F (or book it then drop the BKK-HKG if they have trouble the other way). If they are able to find it as a connecting flight the day before that means you were dealing with incompetent agents previously who could not handle the time issue.
Thanks, I will try that today. I'm not too hopeful though. They did say that they found economy space, which tells me that they found the flight.

First she said she couldn't find it, then I told her about the setting the hour to 1 thing. Then she said she saw the flight, but no F space.

It was the BKK-HKG flight that they found PE space on. BA was showing 5 J award seats on that flight (J is the highest class of service). The AS agent had no trouble finding the flight (it leaves at 6pm or something) but said that she only saw premium economy or economy space -- no J. So this is not just a case of them being off by 1 or something.. 5 seats is wide open, and nothing showing on AS.

The paranoid part of me thinks that a massive devaluation for redemption of of premium cabin seats is coming, and CX doesn't want to sell the seats for less in advance if the announcement. 70k miles is nearing too-good-to-be-true territory. This F seat is 100k JAL miles or 140k Avios

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.