Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by soy

read the posts immediately before yours
And the wiki helpfully at the top of every page that says you need to call in...
jinglish likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by soy

read the posts immediately before yours
Thanks, it says that the BA website is "good enough", but does that mean it's the same reward availability or is it just a guideline of what's available?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by jonlai9
Thanks, it says that the BA website is "good enough", but does that mean it's the same reward availability or is it just a guideline of what's available?
It also says "Sometimes AS books when BA sees nothing. Sometimes AS won't book when BA sees seats."

The way I see it is that it's good indicator that should hold true most of the times but if you call in and they can't see it don't get mad
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Ever since they get rid of partner desk and "trained" every agent to be able to handle partner award, the outcome is far from ideal. i.e. always be prepared should something screwed up and you have no recourse...
The partner desk still exists, at least for the agents' use. I called in recently about a CX award and the agent I got put me on hold to consult with their partner desk.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:47 am

This may have been asked before - if so, I apologise. If I want to use AS miles to fly from Australia (MEL) to Vietnam (SGN) with CX. From reading the AS chart, this would be 2 separate awards - one from MEL to HKG (Australia to Asia), and another from HKG to SGN (Asia to Asia). Is this correct? Or, can it be one award - with no stopover in HKG? Many thanks in advance.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by A1pax
This may have been asked before - if so, I apologise. If I want to use AS miles to fly from Australia (MEL) to Vietnam (SGN) with CX. From reading the AS chart, this would be 2 separate awards - one from MEL to HKG (Australia to Asia), and another from HKG to SGN (Asia to Asia). Is this correct? Or, can it be one award - with no stopover in HKG? Many thanks in advance.
It is 2 awards.

James
A1pax likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by A1pax
It hasn’t just been asked about, it is directly addressed in the wiki on every page of this thread, that is conveniently available to answer questions as long as one reads it.
A1pax likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It is 2 awards.

James
Thanks, James.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

It hasn’t just been asked about, it is directly addressed in the wiki on every page of this thread, that is conveniently available to answer questions as long as one reads it.
You are correct, of course. It was there in the kiwi when I read it again
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hyatt Glob, MR Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Just to confirm: AlaskaAir.com does not show CX award space, correct? I checked via Qantas and it showed award space on the CX flight I needed, but Alaska doesn't show it.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by andreiz
Just to confirm: AlaskaAir.com does not show CX award space, correct? I checked via Qantas and it showed award space on the CX flight I needed, but Alaska doesn't show it.
Yes, just like it says in the wiki that's on every page of the thread..

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:59 pm

Is it the case that after 22 June 2018 it is a lot more difficult to redeem CX tickets using AS miles? It used to be that if CX had awards available, then save 1 or 2 seats, all would be available for QF and other OWE programs and also to AS. Not the case anymore. Correct? Eg, there are plenty of award seats available on CX for 30 HKG - LHR but not if you use AS miles. If one had been collecting AS miles for CX awards (esp F and J) it would be rather disappointing now. Right?
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Is it the case that after 22 June 2018 it is a lot more difficult to redeem CX tickets using AS miles? It used to be that if CX had awards available, then save 1 or 2 seats, all would be available for QF and other OWE programs and also to AS. Not the case anymore. Correct? Eg, there are plenty of award seats available on CX for 30 HKG - LHR but not if you use AS miles. If one had been collecting AS miles for CX awards (esp F and J) it would be rather disappointing now. Right?
No. The deterioration started several months before June 22 restructure of Asia Miles. Though most here did not want to face it.

Since June 22, even Asia Miles, CX's own currency, are hard to find seats on many routes.

And definitely NO for the availability on CX for HKG-LHR which is a hugely profitable route and award seats have not been abundant with any oneworld member's currency.
HKG-ZRH used to be easy but never HKG-LHR/CDG/MXP/FCO.
osotoc likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 6:57 pm

Fees

If there have been time changes with certain flights on an award will CX waive change fees if I want to cancel a sector and change dates/times?
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
If there have been time changes with certain flights on an award will CX waive change fees if I want to cancel a sector and change dates/times?
CX has nothing to do with the change fees. AS is the one assessing them. The answer is probably “it depends”, since you haven’t been very specific on what you want to do. Are you trying to use a 5 minute change as a get out of jail card? Is there availability on your segments? Are the changes reasonable ways to adjust to an unwanted schedule change?

My experience is they work with you, but I wouldn’t expect to get a bunch of routing rules violated. I also haven’t changed a CX award without being an elite. Maybe call and tell us your experiences?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.