Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:43 am
soy

Programs: various
I have a CMB-HKG-JFK award booked since the start of the year..
I now would prefer to start at HKG, will they let me drop the CMB leg, or do I have to do a cancel/rebook?

I fear I will not get the HKG-JFK seats back if I have to cancel
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by soy
I have a CMB-HKG-JFK award booked since the start of the year..
I now would prefer to start at HKG, will they let me drop the CMB leg, or do I have to do a cancel/rebook?

I fear I will not get the HKG-JFK seats back if I have to cancel
im speaking from 75k experience, but I don’t think dropping a segment is a big deal. You may have to pay a fee since your originating in a difference city, but you certainly will not have to start over.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by NWplatinum

im speaking from 75k experience, but I don’t think dropping a segment is a big deal. You may have to pay a fee since your originating in a difference city, but you certainly will not have to start over.

HKG airport tax is now applicable if it is not a connection, for instance. Also the $125 change fee may apply.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat

I wouldn't be so confident - there are multiple reports that AS is unable to break CX married segment inventory.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by travelbugging
I apologize if this has been asked and answered (I did a search for MLE and Maldives in this thread and couldnt find answer). Is an award flight from North America/US (SFO) to Maldives (MLE) in Business 50K miles one way or 62.5K miles one way? Getting conflicting answers from the blogs and from this thread. Thanks in advance!
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It’s Middle East/India @62.5k, where else would it be? Look at a map... It’s WEST of India. Apparently bloggers don’t read maps, or they’re doing the “HUCA and find the weak link” trick the way they used to do with US to get cheaper awards. I don’t doubt that bloggers would argue that LGW is in Asia if they could get away with it...
Just wanted to update that Maldives / MLE is considered part of Asia for Cathay Pacific via Alaska Air Mileage Plan award booking purposes; no HUCA necessary as the agent was able to book the flights I saw on Qantas and miles required matched this chart
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelbugging
Just wanted to update that Maldives / MLE is considered part of Asia for Cathay Pacific via Alaska Air Mileage Plan award booking purposes; no HUCA necessary as the agent was able to book the flights I saw on Qantas and miles required matched this chart
That’s pretty dumb because HKG-MLE is a bigger distance than HKG-DEL, but costs less miles. If AS wants to be idiots about the award chart and consider someplace west of India to be in the same zone as Thailand... ―\_(ツ)_/―

AS considers USA-NRT-DEL to cost less than USA-NRT-BKK on JL. I guess they don’t have that side of the world squared away yet. US was pretty famous for having messed up awards you could milk too. OK...
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:26 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

HKG airport tax is now applicable if it is not a connection, for instance. Also the $125 change fee may apply.
Agreed, but it would likely balance out with the refund of the CMB departure tax.
I have 1 free T-60 day change so can avoid the $125

It seems dropping a leg is possible - and this might be pushing it - but what about changing the start to BKK. Will that require a cancel/rebook?

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s a change.

You know, you could always call and hang up without changing if you don’t like where the call is going...
Dalo and jinglish like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:45 pm

yes, I don't see why you can't have them drop it. There will be difference in $$$ you might need to pay or get back.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:47 pm

Anyone had luck this year with HKG->CPT CX flights? I have a HKG->JNB booked in November, and was hoping to switch to CPT. Looks like no seats whatsoever. I'll check again near the start of the trip.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jumbo_cards
Anyone had luck this year with HKG->CPT CX flights? I have a HKG->JNB booked in November, and was hoping to switch to CPT. Looks like no seats whatsoever. I'll check again near the start of the trip.
Its always been short on award space because its seasonal and only 3x weekly so they have enough demand for the limited number of seats.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I wouldn't be so confident - there are multiple reports that AS is unable to break CX married segment inventory.
If it is married but how do you know? Maybe they were unmarried to begin with.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by jumbo_cards
Try searching on JAL for married segments all the way from the US. if you can find the HKG-->CPT segment as part of a US-originating itinerary, Alaska will be able to add it to your ticket.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by allthem
Try searching on JAL for married segments all the way from the US. if you can find the HKG-->CPT segment as part of a US-originating itinerary, Alaska will be able to add it to your ticket.
BA was also able to see married segment awards on CX the last time I checked.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
To those of you who are SEA-based, how are you handling the problem of the big nearby hubs being SFO and LAX and there being no "A" availability between SEA and SFO/LAX any more? AS used to have first awards on pretty much every SEA-LAX flight and a few SEA-SFO flights, but now there's nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.