Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2018, 4:52 pm
Formerly richh1833

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
Originally Posted by percysmith

SYD is fine if you redeem PE. Can you redeem PE with AS MP?
Sure can. But I guess I was used to being able to get J seats T-14 days. For the moment, HKG-SYD has nothing but Y.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by richh1833
Sure can. But I guess I was used to being able to get J seats T-14 days. For the moment, HKG-SYD has nothing but Y.
Wow I just looked out even a year and there is nothing on CX from HKG-SYD. Well that is terribly disappointing. I was planning on doing ORD-HKG-SYD for my trip next year. Damnit!
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:16 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008

just flew two DFW SYD QF F 70k miles each three days ago. Managed to get them both on the same flight last minute. Extreme luck I would say yes- impossible no.
I was supposed to fly QF8 F DFW-SYD Wednesday 28th but flight was cancalled due to mechanical. QF reaccommodated me on the same flight the following night after an hour long in-app chat exausting all possible flights & One World partners. Booked about 6 monhs out.

I booked 2 CX, 1F & 1J same flights, LAX-HKG//HKG-BNE for early February.

I also have a CX J on the A350 MEL-HKG on September 7th and recently added CX F HKG-LAX after a 2 two-month stopover.

I have also booked JL 2F HND-LAX same flight in March.

Not impossible with some flexibility and 4 to 3 months out has been a sweet spot for CX redemptions for me.

James
tobikosan likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:47 am
Suspended

Does anyone know which route is easier to find CX J availability? HKG-MEL or HKG-SYD
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:30 am

I've tried to book 5 business tickets from SFO to SIN next summer. Found couple options for 5 bus tickets on ba. Called Alaska, they found only 3 business and 2 premium economy. Is it because of the quota for each airline ? Beside ba, where can I find available business ticket release to upgrade? Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, Southwest A-List, United MileagePlus Gold, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by kapooncha
Does anyone know which route is easier to find CX J availability? HKG-MEL or HKG-SYD
In my experience, HKG-MEL, has occasionally had space while I almost never see it on HKG-SYD.. My best options have been HKG-BNE and HKG-ADL for getting to Australia.
kapooncha likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jaycoh22
In my experience, HKG-MEL, has occasionally had space while I almost never see it on HKG-SYD.. My best options have been HKG-BNE and HKG-ADL for getting to Australia.
Good tips, thanks. I'd be open to any of those routes, MEL, SYD, ADL, or BNE. Hopefully one of them is available when I try to book.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:37 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by VVN5
I've tried to book 5 business tickets from SFO to SIN next summer. Found couple options for 5 bus tickets on ba. Called Alaska, they found only 3 business and 2 premium economy. Is it because of the quota for each airline ? Beside ba, where can I find available business ticket release to upgrade? Thanks in advance.
AS seem to have less availability than BA. Historically it was BA-1, but I have seen claims recently that it might be BA-2
pbelmore likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:37 pm

Good tips, thanks. I'd be open to any of those routes, MEL, SYD, ADL, or BNE. Hopefully one of them is available when I try to book.
remember to not just rely on QF/BA - make sure you call AS and ask. For July 2019 if you look at QF nothing at all shows up on the calendar, but through AS this week I have been able to book two HKG-SYD on different dates in late July. fwiw, it varies even intra-day: for example, this morning at 4am Eastern they couldn't see anything for 7/28, but by 10am they had seats for 7/28
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ukinny2000
remember to not just rely on QF/BA - make sure you call AS and ask. For July 2019 if you look at QF nothing at all shows up on the calendar, but through AS this week I have been able to book two HKG-SYD on different dates in late July. fwiw, it varies even intra-day: for example, this morning at 4am Eastern they couldn't see anything for 7/28, but by 10am they had seats for 7/28
So you don't see it on BA but AS has it when you call? That'd be a pain though to keep asking AS reps to manually check dates.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
So you don't see it on BA but AS has it when you call? That'd be a pain though to keep asking AS reps to manually check dates.
It’s happened for me several times. Actually kind of nice how so many insist on some formula like “BA - 1”, or “cube root of QF”, because it means those not afraid of just dialing their phone have access to more options. The reps are friendly, and certainly don’t mind checking for more dates, so it’s really not that painful.
ukinny2000 and jinglish like this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:42 pm

correct : neither BA nor QF showed it. But them's the breaks - if you have to call 3x or 4x a day, every day, then you do it, if that is the routing that is important for you :-)
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:31 pm
Formerly richh1833

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
Originally Posted by ukinny2000
correct : neither BA nor QF showed it. But them's the breaks - if you have to call 3x or 4x a day, every day, then you do it, if that is the routing that is important for you :-)
Did JL show it? JL has been accurate for all my CX bookings with AS.
osotoc likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by richh1833
Did JL show it? JL has been accurate for all my CX bookings with AS.
good question : I couldn't honestly say as I never checked JL
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:31 am

Programs: SVO, SPG Gold
I called in today to try my first booking CX HKG to SIN.
Agent said that she doesn't see any seats available for rewards.
Weird thing is that she said that i would be on AS website through the search portal if there are CX availability.
I don't think that is true because I looked ahead by 4-6 months and also 6-12 months and still only see JL availabilities.
Is there a magic word or phrase i need to tell the reps to help them search inventory?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.