Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Jul 29, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Maybe Alaska needs to stop selling unlimited miles!

James
CDKing and pbd456 like this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

James
Right, because telling a corporation, that is supposed to deliver dividends to shareholders and growth in value to the business, to leave money on the table so that FTers who would run over their grandma to fly a mistake fare can get more Krug and caviar does what for the corporation?

I think the idea of “hose those customers but you should leave me alone” is pretty risible. Trust me, they will come after all of us eventually. Don’t root for customer takeaways; yours might be next. It’s not really a zero sum game as far as that goes.
flytoeat, gpeso8 and jinglish like this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

James
ROIC, baby!
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:19 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Anyone have experience booking ex-Europe to HKG with CX? The focus (and biggest bang for our AS miles' buck) seems to be ex-North America to HKG and beyond.
I've been finding some nice J fares out of Brussels and Amsterdam which continues to build my AS RDMs.
Just curious if anyone is looking at the benefits of 42.5K J to HKG (and HKG is the only destination allowed using AS miles, no follow-on flights).

Thanks!!
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by osotoc
Anyone have experience booking ex-Europe to HKG with CX? The focus (and biggest bang for our AS miles' buck) seems to be ex-North America to HKG and beyond.
I've been finding some nice J fares out of Brussels and Amsterdam which continues to build my AS RDMs.
Just curious if anyone is looking at the benefits of 42.5K J to HKG (and HKG is the only destination allowed using AS miles, no follow-on flights).

Thanks!!

I booked TLV-HKG-LAX on CX in J last year last minute. Booked 3 days out, got the 2 seats I needed. Then added on LAX-MEX after first leg was flown.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jknc09
I’ve been reading up on recent trouble with Cathay Saver level inventory issues showing on BA searches, but just checked routes on HKG-LAX, HKG-SFO, HKG-SEA in Business class, and the Alaska team is only able to see seats if more than 2 seats are available it seems. I saw a route on 4/23 from HKG - SEA and only 1 seat was showing, with 3 showing in business as available with 2 different Alaska reservation agents. This was the same on different routings/Dates in April 2019 as well from HKG back to the US (2 showed/none available, 3 showed/only 1 available, 4 showed available for business, only 2 available). Anyone have any recent feedback/ info?

What was odd, Premium Economy availability when searched on BA, was accurate with the Alaska agent, just not Business or First. Thank you for the help FT community
I never book with more than one person and on flights with only 1 available seat and grabbed those no problem for years. F TPAC and J to Australia for example.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
I never book with more than one person and on flights with only 1 available seat and grabbed those no problem for years. F TPAC and J to Australia for example.
no longer seems to be the case. Not sure if anyone has tried booking Cathay for March/April 2019 and what was showing on BA award search was Actually available.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Unless its more recent. I booked the following reservation on 6/28. JFK-HKG had 1, HKG-SYD had 2. There were 2 flights JFK that day with 1 seat on BA and both were showing for the agent.

eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by osotoc
Thanks!!
Yes, it ends at HKG. Any add-on would be another award.

ZRH-HKG used to have good availability but I haven't seen any when I checked during the past several months (before and post June 22nd). I have seen some MXP-HKG have returned, a few months out.
No idea for next year as we dont ever book this far out regardless any FFP to use unless out of necessity (announced devaluation would usually be the only reason).

Originally Posted by Deltahater
I booked TLV-HKG-LAX on CX in J last year last minute. Booked 3 days out, got the 2 seats I needed. Then added on LAX-MEX after first leg was flown.
Was it 1 award or 2 awards?

TLV is not counted as in Europe by AS chart, isn't it?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:26 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Happy

ZRH-HKG used to have good availability but I haven't seen any when I checked during the past several months (before and post June 22nd). I have seen some MXP-HKG have returned, a few months out.
No idea for next year as we dont ever book this far out regardless any FFP to use unless out of necessity (announced devaluation would usually be the only reason).
Roger.

I knew about the two awards for any travel beyond HKG. New CX gateways seem to be opening up in Europe (with DUB and CPH online now), so I'll keep checking to see how availability goes.
Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by Happy

Was it 1 award or 2 awards?

TLV is not counted as in Europe by AS chart, isn't it?
No, it is Middle East. 62,500 in J to C1
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:08 am

Do Alaska awards on Cathay have to be cancelled BEFORE the initial Cathay flight departs?

Or can a passenger no-show for Cathay, and subsequently ring Alaska after the fact to get their miles back?

Jamie
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Do Alaska awards on Cathay have to be cancelled BEFORE the initial Cathay flight departs?

Or can a passenger no-show for Cathay, and subsequently ring Alaska after the fact to get their miles back?

Jamie
As I read the no-show policy you will not get miles back if you no-show (for tickets booked after October 2nd, 2017).

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...rvation#noshow

Here's how our no-show policy will work for tickets purchased or changed on or after October 2, 2017.

If you think you'll miss your flight, let us know before your flight departs in order to receive the value of your ticket as credit to use on a future flight in your My Wallet (subject to change fees). How do you cancel your ticket? Choose from one of three options:
  • Change or cancel your reservation here at alaskaair.com
  • Call our reservations team 1-800-252-7522. (Dial 711 for relay services)
  • Notify an agent at one of our airport ticket counters.

If you don't cancel your ticket before your flight departs, we'll apply our updated no-show policy to your reservation.

This means:
  • Like we do today, we'll cancel your flight reservation and all continuing and return flights.
  • The money and/or Mileage Plan™ miles spent on non-refundable fares will not be available as credit towards a future flight.
  • While we adjust to the updated policy, we are happy to allow an exception through the end of 2017 in case you forget to tell us in advance.
  • We'll continue to waive change and cancellation fees for MVP® Gold and MVP® Gold 75K members. However, changes and cancellations must be made before your flight's departure time to be eligible for credit toward a future flight (unless you purchased a refundable fare).
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
As I read the no-show policy you will not get miles back if you no-show (for tickets booked after October 2nd, 2017).

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...rvation#noshowHere's how our no-show policy will work for tickets purchased or changed on or after October 2, 2017.

If you think you'll miss your flight, let us know before your flight departs in order to receive the value of your ticket as credit to use on a future flight in your My Wallet (subject to change fees). How do you cancel your ticket? Choose from one of three options:
  • Change or cancel your reservation here at alaskaair.com
  • Call our reservations team 1-800-252-7522. (Dial 711 for relay services)
  • Notify an agent at one of our airport ticket counters.

If you don't cancel your ticket before your flight departs, we'll apply our updated no-show policy to your reservation.

This means:
  • Like we do today, we'll cancel your flight reservation and all continuing and return flights.
  • The money and/or Mileage Plan™ miles spent on non-refundable fares will not be available as credit towards a future flight.
  • While we adjust to the updated policy, we are happy to allow an exception through the end of 2017 in case you forget to tell us in advance.
  • We'll continue to waive change and cancellation fees for MVP® Gold and MVP® Gold 75K members. However, changes and cancellations must be made before your flight's departure time to be eligible for credit toward a future flight (unless you purchased a refundable fare).
Helpful, thanks. I'm holding CX merely as a backup plan. I'll just get my brother to call in as me and cancel as soon as my non-CX flight has left the ground, a few hours earlier. Cathay awards can't be cancelled online, and the airline I'm flying doesn't have wifi to begin with.

Appreciate the quick response - Jamie
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Helpful, thanks. I'm holding CX merely as a backup plan. I'll just get my brother to call in as me and cancel as soon as my non-CX flight has left the ground, a few hours earlier. Cathay awards can't be cancelled online, and the airline I'm flying doesn't have wifi to begin with.

Appreciate the quick response - Jamie
Have you got the chase cars set up as well?
jamienbaker and jinglish like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.