Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by anthonyparkersd
We are Scheduled to fly out of Lax first week of January to HKG for a day and then onto AKL. Question for you all, I'd love to fly out of JFK to get a longer flight and enjoy those first class seats! Availability doesn't seem to be a problem with either one of the airports within 2 weeks of departure but do you think we are more prone to delays in January at JFK for any kind of weather disturbance?

We have a day layover but I'd rather not waste it with delays in getting out! Thanks for the help
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
There is most certainly a great likelihood of snow at JFK compared to LAX in January. That said, it's impossible to predict whether or not you'd have any delays or cancellations associated. If there's a gigantic winter storm impacting the entire East Coast, you'll obviously be impacted more so at JFK than you would be at LAX, but no way to know that now. If it were me, I'd stick with LAX, but depends on how much risk you want to take to get more time in the seats. :P
Beginning of January you might have better odds than leaving late January or February. Good part is the long haul flights are less likely to cancel but you still have to get to JFK.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
update: Was finally able to book CX SEA-HKG and return flights yesterday, (changing another itinerary out of LAX), however e-ticket is still not valid on Cathay after 24 hours. Reservation is there, it says not ticketed on CX.

WIll check again and try to get ticket issues fixed with CX and AS tomorrow.

Anyway, it seems like the new SEA - HKG flight is now bookable via AS.

-David
What date(s) did you book?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: Alaska, United, American, Singapore
Originally Posted by twoplustwomakefive
Can I ask how availability was like for the HKG-AKL flight since they only have 1 daily? I'm planning to do the same as you but out of SFO next fall.

It's certainly not pretty, I had to watch it like a hawk when i first booked the trip. Basically I had to use the same strategy with booking that first class seat with Cathay as I did on our return trip home on Singapore Flying Suites. 365 days out etc to snag those 2 seats from HKG to AKL. I was lucky and got a good Alaska rep out of phoenix who knew how to work the Cathay system and pair the 2 bookings together as one (LAX TO HKG; HKG to AKL).

I've been watching daily to see if any seats pop up for the same time frame and nothing shows up at all. Not even economy awards.

We are very excited for this round the world trip!

Thanks again for the help everyone! If I end up switching cities I'll post here so you all know of possible availability!

Last edited by anthonyparkersd; Jul 24, 2018 at 11:57 am Reason: clarification
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:49 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I had 4 biz awards BKK-HKG-JFK with the HKG-JFK segment in premium economy. One by one I was able to upgrade 3 of us. Even though BA showed space, AS was unable to change from T to U and I checked daily for 3 weeks. To make matters worse, we were split on CX840 and CX846. Upon check in in HKG I asked for 4 biz seats and was told no. Upon further chatting, CX put us on the same flight AND gave my son a courtesy upgrade to Biz all within a matter of 5 mins.

The point is that the airport CAN make changes to AS issued awards without involving AS. It is all about availability and what the agent is willing to do.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:17 am
wkc

Originally Posted by Deltahater
The point is that the airport CAN make changes to AS issued awards without involving AS. It is all about availability and what the agent is willing to do.
This is standard practice for award flights and has always been the case. You can even fly KA F using an AS redemption at the discretion of CX ground staff: https://monkeymiles.boardingarea.com...-alaska-miles/
Old Jul 26, 2018, 4:09 am

I had 4 biz awards BKK-HKG-JFK with the HKG-JFK segment in premium economy. One by one I was able to upgrade 3 of us. Even though BA showed space, AS was unable to change from T to U and I checked daily for 3 weeks. To make matters worse, we were split on CX840 and CX846. Upon check in in HKG I asked for 4 biz seats and was told no. Upon further chatting, CX put us on the same flight AND gave my son a courtesy upgrade to Biz all within a matter of 5 mins.

Helpful. How did the remainder of the conversation go? In other words, how did you win them over?
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:50 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Airport agents can literally put you in any cabin/flight/other airline as long as they can justify it within their internal guidelines. The airline that issued the ticket has no bearing when it comes to day of departure changes.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by anthonyparkersd
We are Scheduled to fly out of Lax first week of January to HKG for a day and then onto AKL. Question for you all, I'd love to fly out of JFK to get a longer flight and enjoy those first class seats! Availability doesn't seem to be a problem with either one of the airports within 2 weeks of departure but do you think we are more prone to delays in January at JFK for any kind of weather disturbance?

We have a day layover but I'd rather not waste it with delays in getting out! Thanks for the help
I’d stick with LAX. On both flights you’ll get two meals, and have a solid block of 6 or so hours to sleep in the bed. There’s nothing else to do outside of eat and sleep. And there’s only so much you can eat and drink (particularly drink). Shlepping all the way to New York probably doesn’t achieve much.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
I have a similar question for a flight I have next year about award tickets and ticket changes last minute:

My wife and I are flying LAX-HKG. We've confirmed 1 F (her) and 1 J (me) award. The ideal thing would be to have us traveling in the same class of service on the same flight.

If there is 1F availability on another flight later in the day, do you think it is worth the risk to confirm the F seat and then see if I can move up to the original flight (assuming, of course, there are seats available)? I realize there are unknowns here, so I'm just soliciting opinions.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by gmax58
I have a similar question for a flight I have next year about award tickets and ticket changes last minute:

My wife and I are flying LAX-HKG. We've confirmed 1 F (her) and 1 J (me) award. The ideal thing would be to have us traveling in the same class of service on the same flight.

If there is 1F availability on another flight later in the day, do you think it is worth the risk to confirm the F seat and then see if I can move up to the original flight (assuming, of course, there are seats available)? I realize there are unknowns here, so I'm just soliciting opinions.
If travelling on the same flight is important, stick with what you have. Monitor availability close in, starting at one month before departure (but more likely even more close in such as a week or less before departure).

If flying F is more i portant, confirm your seat on the other flight now. But landing at separate times, and potential for delays on the later flight might not be suitable for you.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Don't forget that unless you have a waiver, changes will incur a $125 fee per change.

James
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:13 pm
Community Director Emerita

If there is 1F availability on another flight later in the day, do you think it is worth the risk to confirm the F seat and then see if I can move up to the original flight (assuming, of course, there are seats available)?
I have both scenarios in separate trips this year. My reasoning for each:

1) 1 F and 1 J - it's great to be on the same flight. I've got both expert flyer and award nexus running so I can grab a second F seat if it becomes available. If not, it will be great to arrive in LAX together. I believe we can both use the F lounge in Hong Kong together.

2) 1 F and 1 F - I was able to grab seats on the 2 LAX flights that are four hours apart. This means the proper amount of points have been taken by AS. It's a function of finding a second seat on either of those two flights. If I don't find it in advance to get AS to reticket, perhaps we can persuade CX to do it at the airport. I know that's very iffy, but we have one report in the thread of it happening. I've got my husband on the earlier flight. If we check bags, we will do so on his ticket. The rental car will be in his name. It will be tedious for him to have the time to kill at LAX but he will be ready to pick me up and drive south.

You can ask me in January which worked better.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I have both scenarios in separate trips this year. My reasoning for each:

1) 1 F and 1 J - it's great to be on the same flight. I've got both expert flyer and award nexus running so I can grab a second F seat if it becomes available. If not, it will be great to arrive in LAX together. I believe we can both use the F lounge in Hong Kong together.
The passenger in F can bring a guest along into the F lounge in HKG even on awards. My partner and I did that in February. We were flying HKG-BOS one in F & 1 in J. I had the right isle in F all to myself (3 empty F) and my partner was in the mini J cabin just behind me.

James
Old Jul 26, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The passenger in F can bring a guest along into the F lounge in HKG even on awards. My partner and I did that in February. We were flying HKG-BOS one in F & 1 in J. I had the right isle in F all to myself (3 empty F) and my partner was in the mini J cabin just behind me.

James
just curious. are you retied? I am 100% leisure travel using my vacation time and money and doing about 200k flown miles (almost all in J class already) and have built up huge pile of alaska miles due to many discount J class tickets that I bought (or AA systemwide) i just dont have time to burn majority of the miles I earn. I even have a tough time to use up my AA systemwide upgrade... (burning miles would be after using up my AA SWU).
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by pbd456
just curious. are you retied? I am 100% leisure travel using my vacation time and money and doing about 200k flown miles (almost all in J class already) and have built up huge pile of alaska miles due to many discount J class tickets that I bought (or AA systemwide) i just dont have time to burn majority of the miles I earn. I even have a tough time to use up my AA systemwide upgrade... (burning miles would be after using up my AA SWU).
"Retied" as in tied up, untied and tied up again? LMAO!!!! 😉

I am recently "retired." However with my prior schedule rotation and statutory holidays I stretched my 5 weeks of vacation into 8. We do a couple major vacations each year and shorter 6-9 day mini vacation/mileage runs every 4-6 weeks in between. It is a good use of companion certificates and GGUs. We are both MVPG75K and earn 500-600K RDM between us annually with bonuses and some CC spend. Definitely the challenge is balancing awards and EQM to maintain staus. We do have friends in Australia & South Africa so CX has been useful. Using awards for respoitioning to do mileage runs has been fun too. I have some extra time now and taking advantage of the excellent award rates before any devaluation which seems imminent.

James

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.