Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Jul 7, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Then book SFO-HKG-SIN. Call back later and drop HKG-SIN
Old Jul 8, 2018, 2:06 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Deltahater
Then book SFO-HKG-SIN. Call back later and drop HKG-SIN
Have thought of that, but after re-confirming with AS, I'm only allowed one complimentary change for booking prior to June 5.
Ideally, I would like DAL - LAX (stopover) - HKG- CGK departing LAX on March 25.

Currently, I have ticketed DAL-LAX (stopover) - SFO - HKG - CGK on a later date

If I change to SFO - HKG - SIN (complimentary change), drop and add CGK and then later finally fly direct from LAX - HKG, I'm on the hook for at least 2 change fees.

I will probably wait it out despite the current opening being an improvement from what I currently hold.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:50 pm

Today I called AS as I could see 1 first class seat on the BA website from BOS in late August on the day I wanted to go.
Just one was open.
They could not see it.
I called AA and they could, in fact, see it and book it.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by chuck1
Today I called AS as I could see 1 first class seat on the BA website from BOS in late August on the day I wanted to go.
Just one was open.
They could not see it.
I called AA and they could, in fact, see it and book it.
Fairly common, which is why one needs to maintain an American balance on the side if hoping to fly CX. Last summer there were 3 simultaneous F awards HKGJFK, Alaska could only see two. I grabbed those, asked AGAIN if they could see a sole, remaining award. When they said they couldn't, I rang American and they booked it. So I ended up getting all 3, but it was a pain.

Jamie
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:12 am

Just finished an unsuccessful call with Alaska booking CX J award intra Asia. I've tried to search for instance, SIN-HKG and HKG-CGK on BA site but nothing returnd. I then alternatively searched SIN-PVG and the SIN-HKG-PVG option appears with 5 J award seats, subsequently when searching PVG-CGK PVG-HKG-CGK appears with 4 J award seats as well. I called and tried to grab the SIN-HKG-CGK seats but Alaska has no success. The representative told me that it has been hard time getting CX award, even in Y.

Question that I'd need help:
1. Are they phantom award that I've found on BA site for those flights?
2. Or it is binded to book the SIN-HKG-PVG, say, together in an itinerary for getting the J seats?

Many thanks!

Michael
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by shek3112
Just finished an unsuccessful call with Alaska booking CX J award intra Asia. I've tried to search for instance, SIN-HKG and HKG-CGK on BA site but nothing returnd. I then alternatively searched SIN-PVG and the SIN-HKG-PVG option appears with 5 J award seats, subsequently when searching PVG-CGK PVG-HKG-CGK appears with 4 J award seats as well. I called and tried to grab the SIN-HKG-CGK seats but Alaska has no success. The representative told me that it has been hard time getting CX award, even in Y.

Question that I'd need help:
1. Are they phantom award that I've found on BA site for those flights?
2. Or it is binded to book the SIN-HKG-PVG, say, together in an itinerary for getting the J seats?

Many thanks!

Michael
Don't use BA to search O/D, search by segment. BA's engine is notoriously unreliable when doing AAA-BBB searches instead of AAA-HKG, HKG-BBB. Your clue should have been that BA gave you zero seats when you searched by segment.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm just going to leave this here...

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....-class-awards/
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I'm just going to leave this here...

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....-class-awards/

i could not find anything for a one week period in any class of service on Cathay through Alaska — September , Vancouver to Bangkok and back and vice versa.

picked that week because it was the only week in the next several months that the ba site is showing a lot of availability, multiple seats some days.

American saw all the seats that ba did, and was willing to book . I am holding off for the time being , because United has great availability, and I have been paying a fortune in change and cancel fees due to recent health problems, so I will wait and see.

incidentally, having flown Cathay , Japan and Eva on those routes in economy in the last year, Cathay was clearly in third place for quality, far behind the others.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: AS
Hey all,

I am looking for some tips as I am still fairly new to this. I am looking to travel solo from the USA on CX in first with AS miles. Destination doesn't matter too much but I'd like to take advantage of a stopover in Hong Kong and then travel to somewhere like Shanghai/Sydney/Bali/etc.

What is my best avenue to finding availability including the stopover? I have played around a bit with the BA site for availability just to Hong Kong and haven't had much luck? Should I pretty much be only looking ~330 days out or is there potential to find decent award availability since I am only searching for one seat? Is there a way to search BA with a stopover or should I just try to find three seperate one way fares and then call Alaska to book? Just looking for some insight from some more experienced lurkings to help guide my search. Cheers!
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Charlie Thompson
Hey all,

I am looking for some tips as I am still fairly new to this. I am looking to travel solo from the USA on CX in first with AS miles. Destination doesn't matter too much but I'd like to take advantage of a stopover in Hong Kong and then travel to somewhere like Shanghai/Sydney/Bali/etc.

What is my best avenue to finding availability including the stopover? I have played around a bit with the BA site for availability just to Hong Kong and haven't had much luck? Should I pretty much be only looking ~330 days out or is there potential to find decent award availability since I am only searching for one seat? Is there a way to search BA with a stopover or should I just try to find three seperate one way fares and then call Alaska to book? Just looking for some insight from some more experienced lurkings to help guide my search. Cheers!
I think BA only searches stopovers in London so do not count on using the BA stopover search to help. You need to search one ways but you can combine a USA-HKG one-way with a HKG-Asia/Australia/??? one-way to make a one-way with stopover. You can do LAX-HKG (stopover) HKG-DPS all on one one-way award. Searching with Qantas may be easier because you can see a few weeks availability at a time. Sign up for a free Qantas account and start searching there.

Far out CX only releases 1F at a time. If you are traveling with a companion you will only be able to find 1F at a time although you might find two flights on the same day with 1F. The hardest part may be finding availability HKG-Asia/Australia. 1F can be found if you are flexible. For example on BA I see 1F LAX-HKG on 5/22 or 5/23 right now but finding HKG-DPS in J inside the AS booking window far out may be challenging with the new CX award availability.

You can either book as one award round-trip with a stopover (or two) or book as two one-ways (one-way USA-HKG (stop) - somewhere, return one-way somewhere-HKG-USA). Alaska allows stopovers on one-way award tickets but for CX the stop usually must be HKG (unless it's a USA gateway to an AS flight).
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
New One on Me...

Looking for a CX F LAX-HKG award seat on a particular date next spring. JL, BA, QF and CX all show an available seat (on CX 883) via KVS. AA phone agent sees the seat. Two separate AS agents can't see the seat.

Which is most probable: the AS agents aren't doing the search properly or all the Oneworld carriers can access the seat, but AS can not?

Last edited by mczlaw; Jul 15, 2018 at 9:12 am
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mczlaw
Looking for a CX F LAX-HKG award seat on a particular date next spring. JL, BA, QF and CX all show an available seat (on CX 883) via KVS. AA phone agent sees the seat. Two separate AS agents can't see the seat.

Which is most probable: the AS agents aren't doing the search properly or all the Oneworld carriers can access the seat, but AS can not?
Likely the latter. But it could be 50/50. Keep trying.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
need advice for a pre-june 5th booking.
what exactly is the change policy now? only one change ever allowed? can you change once (for free) and then cancel 60 days out (for free) if you dont need the ticket?
i have a pre-june 5th cx award booking that I currently dont need (change of plans), and can cancel it since it is 68 days out.
however, cancelling and getting back the miles means that when i rebook, i will have zero leeway to cancel for free.
if i move it out to 140 days later (within the 1 year ticketing limit), can i still cancel it for free later? or is that just foolish and i should cancel now?
(I am trying to hold out on options, but dont want to get dinged for the 125 usd due to a misunderstanding)
thanks for your help.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tokyoite

If i move it out to 140 days later (within the 1 year ticketing limit), can i still cancel it for free later? or is that just foolish and i should cancel now?
(I am trying to hold out on options, but dont want to get dinged for the 125 usd due to a misunderstanding)
thanks for your help.
If you move it out 140 days, that is your free change.

James
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
need advice for a pre-june 5th booking.
what exactly is the change policy now? only one change ever allowed? can you change once (for free) and then cancel 60 days out (for free) if you dont need the ticket?
i have a pre-june 5th cx award booking that I currently dont need (change of plans), and can cancel it since it is 68 days out.
however, cancelling and getting back the miles means that when i rebook, i will have zero leeway to cancel for free.
if i move it out to 140 days later (within the 1 year ticketing limit), can i still cancel it for free later? or is that just foolish and i should cancel now?
thanks for your help.
One free cancel or change is one, not two. Cancel it now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.