Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2018, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I would suggest people to follow this thread in CX forum.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...2018-a-18.html

Asia Miles definitely is not seeing a lot of availability per the posts in the above thread. What you see is the Choice and Tailored, not Standard. Standard awards availability has drastically reduced. Therefore even for Asia Miles members this is not good news. Of course that also means partner programs get even less allotment. Basically bad news all around for both native program and partner programs.

On top of that if you have mixed cabins on different directions you can no longer be able to book it as a round trip as originating from Hong Kong, so on your inbound, you will be charged the YQ and that is another bad news even for Asia Miles members.
Occam's razor. I think it is safe to assume at this point that partner award availability will never snap back to pre-6/22 levels, and that the days of reliable, multiple CX redemptions is over for members of the Alaska program. Thankfully I'm already ticketed for a family of three this August, and expect this to be the last such vacation. But I've given up any realistic expectation of changing my CX flights so as to avoid a HKG stopover, as I've done in summer's past. Not the end of the world to spend a night in HKG, but have done it so many times already.

Oh well, it's been a good ride. Best to all, and my sympathies to those that had been hoping to travel in the near-term.

Jamie
callmedtop and jinglish like this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA, AS
I think something has to come back. Maybe not as much as before but I do not think they can just eat all their unsold inventory without loosing even more than they are now. My feeling is that their new system is not fully operational and that there will eventually be some low level award space released to partners albeit perhaps much less than before.

If every airline kept all their space to themselves what would be the point of being in an alliance? I do not think their Oneworld partners would be happy if their plan is inventory hoarding although AS probably does not care.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
I think something has to come back. Maybe not as much as before but I do not think they can just eat all their unsold inventory without loosing even more than they are now. My feeling is that their new system is not fully operational and that there will eventually be some low level award space released to partners albeit perhaps much less than before.

If every airline kept all their space to themselves what would be the point of being in an alliance? I do not think their Oneworld partners would be happy if their plan is inventory hoarding although AS probably does not care.
Wishful thinking, and ignores the basic economic tenets of FF programs. But not willing to get sucked into a long debate. Give it a month or two, but please make it a point to post when you relent. I’ll assure you I’ll do the same.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Wishful thinking, and ignores the basic economic tenets of FF programs. But not willing to get sucked into a long debate. Give it a month or two, but please make it a point to post when you relent. I’ll assure you I’ll do the same.
If it is not back in a month I would agree we are done. I am hoping for a week or two. I am not normally this optimistic but I was looking to book my first CX ride courtesy of AS miles soon and it is hard to give up on the dream.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:14 pm

If it is not back in a month I would agree we are done. I am hoping for a week or two. I am not normally this optimistic but I was looking to book my first CX ride courtesy of AS miles soon and it is hard to give up on the dream.
I respect that.

Unfortunately Asia Miles members reporting “standard” bucket not available within 90 days of departure. That’s the bucket partners access.

PS - saw a JFKNRT on JL with 6 F awards available, so maybe that will be the consolation prize.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:39 pm

Programs: OWE

i hope you're right, i am also in agreement that it doesn't help them if they hold all their inventory of award space and not release it to partners. likewise, partners like AA/BA will block CX/AM members from seeing their own award inventory. so for CX to block off its own inventory doesn't really do them good, having a reciprocal inventory with other airlines allows them to be opened to other people in different markets and get them to "try out" their product.

At this point, no long haul inventory is available at any level, in any cabin with any partners through the furthest end of the schedule in 2019. i hope this changes soon.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: OWE

I respect that.

Unfortunately Asia Miles members reporting “standard” bucket not available within 90 days of departure. That’s the bucket partners access.

PS - saw a JFKNRT on JL with 6 F awards available, so maybe that will be the consolation prize.
i was able to score a "standard award" JFK-HKG for next week but under the AM program. I was waitlisted today and confirmed 4 hours later. the flight has 20 J seats left. so the inventory is there for AM members, just not partners
Old Jun 24, 2018, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by staticx813
i was able to score a "standard award" JFK-HKG for next week but under the AM program. I was waitlisted today and confirmed 4 hours later. the flight has 20 J seats left. so the inventory is there for AM members, just not partners
yes, that’s correct. I may start emphasizing SPG Amex again, since I can transfer to AM.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 11:22 pm

If it were available in advance this would definitely lessen sting of losing CX. How many days out was this? I have not seen more than 2F until fairly close to departure. I have experienced JL F and am a big fan.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:32 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
It appears close-in F award seats are now available as Asia Miles “standard” awards. A search for HKGLAX for same-day departure yields multiple available seats at the standard level on a flight that is currently F4. This is good news since theoretically those awards should be made available to partners. However, calling into Alaska, they are unable to see the availability and are quoting a known IT issue integrating with Cathay Pacific. My hope is that close-in F/J awards are still possible with partner booking, and there are legitimate IT issues that will eventually be worked out, not that CX is actually blocking partner awards.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:03 am

If it were available in advance this would definitely lessen sting of losing CX. How many days out was this? I have not seen more than 2F until fairly close to departure. I have experienced JL F and am a big fan.
July 6. You’re correct, 2F is the most one can secure in advance on JL. But their release of unsold seats is formulaic, down to the very minute. I’ve even had agents waiting on the phone, and asked they refresh their screens, so that I can book the awards within 30 seconds of their release. Good luck.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by staticx813
i hope you're right, i am also in agreement that it doesn't help them if they hold all their inventory of award space and not release it to partners. likewise, partners like AA/BA will block CX/AM members from seeing their own award inventory. so for CX to block off its own inventory doesn't really do them good, having a reciprocal inventory with other airlines allows them to be opened to other people in different markets and get them to "try out" their product.
This isn’t a personal attack. But if I were to show your post to any head of any FF program at any airline, they would get a chuckle. They way you describe it is not how it works, and not how FF programs seek to profit maximize.

Respectfully, Jamie
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by cpa_xlsx
It appears close-in F award seats are now available as Asia Miles “standard” awards. A search for HKGLAX for same-day departure yields multiple available seats at the standard level on a flight that is currently F4. This is good news since theoretically those awards should be made available to partners. However, calling into Alaska, they are unable to see the availability and are quoting a known IT issue integrating with Cathay Pacific. My hope is that close-in F/J awards are still possible with partner booking, and there are legitimate IT issues that will eventually be worked out, not that CX is actually blocking partner awards.
Many wish the same. Please establish a date at which point you’ll relent. Shall we agree on Aug 1? Trust me, I’m willing to issue a mea culpa, but I unfortunately expect to be reading yours.

End of an era.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond

Many wish the same. Please establish a date at which point you’ll relent. Shall we agree on Aug 1? Trust me, I’m willing to issue a mea culpa, but I unfortunately expect to be reading yours.

End of an era.
Jamie, while I originally agreed with you, I’m not sure why you’re being so stubborn.

As of this morning (this wasn’t the case yesterday), Qantas is showing quite a bit of F-class space between HKG and BOS for close-in awards, through July 8th. While I haven’t tried to book with AS, QF, or BA, the award space is coming up and I have no real reason to believe it’s phantom.

Even if AS is saying its not bookable right now, it is a major development that the award space is now showing up to begin with, as just yesterday the Qantas calendar was completely zero-ed out, even for T-14 travel.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by callmedtop

Jamie, while I originally agreed with you, I’m not sure why you’re being so stubborn.

As of this morning (this wasn’t the case yesterday), Qantas is showing quite a bit of F-class space between HKG and BOS for close-in awards, through July 8th. While I haven’t tried to book with AS, QF, or BA, the award space is coming up and I have no real reason to believe it’s phantom.

Even if AS is saying its not bookable right now, it is a major development that the award space is now showing up to begin with, as just yesterday the Qantas calendar was completely zero-ed out, even for T-14 travel.
Agree major development! And happy to issue mea culpa should this be a return to the standards we've come to rely upon. Apologies for stubbornness

Jamie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.