Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

CX cannot be used as a carrier for an itinerary between two points in the US, even if they are only flying an international itinerary. That is a cabotage violation. That is why AS will not book a single award USA-YVR-JFK. Cathay has the authority to transport passengers YVR-JFK on a single ticket, but not USA-YYR-JFK.

There is a rather famous for FT instance where you could construct itineraries on tickets that violated cabotage, although the carriers were all flying legal routes. Some FT wiseguy decided to fly a DOT complaint for some stupid reason on one of those tickets. Fines for violating cabotage ensued, and that little loophole went away. So yes, the DOT will fine you for cabotage if you let a ticketed itinerary to be constructed that violates it.
that kid who killed the deal and I still hve 80k miles in that program.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
How recently you successfully booked the itinerary that should not be allowed?
I was actually told by the agent that since this is allowed routing by CX, there was no problems?
When booking this trip, I did NOT ask to go to JFK. I simply asked for YVR-HKG, and was presented the option to route via JFK.

Interestingly enough, when I did a search on JL at the time, I was also presented with YVR-JFK-HKG as an option.

So... is this actually not allowed by AS?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pbd456
that kid who killed the deal and I still have 80k miles in that program.
The longer you wait to use them, the less they will be worth. So many good options and Hawaii isn't one of them.

James
Old Jun 11, 2018, 11:36 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The longer you wait to use them, the less they will be worth. So many good options and Hawaii isn't one of them.

James
i bought all the miles to book the trick routes. i havent booked anything since trick routes are gone.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
seawolf's interpretation is correct - as long as a US carrier flies a part of the itinerary and the foreign flag carrier's carriage is not between two US points, it is not cabotage.

Some examples to illustrate:

Cabotage:
AC SEA-YVR
CX YVR-JFK

Cabotage:
AS SEA-LAX
QF LAX-JFK

Not cabotage:
AS SEA-YVR
CX YVR-JFK
So UA USA-NRT and NH NRT-GUM isn’t cabotage? I see. AV could have allowed and ticketed that forever, DOT complaints could have been filed on UA, and nobody would have cared? I was under the impression THAT was what the DOT complaint was over...
Old Jun 12, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

So UA USA-NRT and NH NRT-GUM isn’t cabotage? I see. AV could have allowed and ticketed that forever, DOT complaints could have been filed on UA, and nobody would have cared? I was under the impression THAT was what the DOT complaint was over...
I was under the impression that Jeff's complaint was related to LAX-TPE-GUM on BR which you could book via AV before the complaint.
eponymous_coward and PVDtoDEL like this.

Last edited by gpeso8; Jun 12, 2018 at 1:15 pm
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by gpeso8
I was under the impression that Jeff's complaint was related to LAX-TPE-GUM on BR which you could book via AV before the complaint.
That's correct.

The only reason AV took it much further is because the DOT complaint highlighted to them an unforeseen arbitrage opportunity with the definitions of their award chart.
gpeso8 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 10:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
That's correct.

The only reason AV took it much further is because the DOT complaint highlighted to them an unforeseen arbitrage opportunity with the definitions of their award chart.
Is the compliant available on DOT? I couldn't find anything on transportation.gov especially around Unauthorized Operations which goes all the way back to 2002.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I don't believe there was ever any enforcement action taken, as BR correctly denied him boarding. No passengers were carried illegally.

The accomplishment of the DOT was that it highlighted to AV that they were issuing tickets that couldn't be flown.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 12:46 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Topic Check: Let's keep the discussion related to CX Awards.

dayone, AS Moderator.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
ICN-HKG-JFK-YVR is not allowed on a single award because it is backtracking. JFK-YVR-LAX requires 2 awards as explained clearly by eponymous_coward in the post IMMEDIATELY above yours.

HKG-JFK-YVR or LAX have been asked gazillion times on this thread as valid or not, and have been answered gazillions AS does NOT allow backtracking.
So adamant that you and eponymous_coward are correct that you are dismissive to the gazillionth +1 poster? I say you MAY be incorrect or is it me??? 😉 lol. I won't post openly as what may not be true could become the truth if it isn't already as you say it is.

James
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Trying to check in in Ho Chi Minh city and my ticket booked via MileagePlan is associated with another name.

Not quite sure what I should do. I have Alaska and CX trying to work with each other.

Last edited by plc44; Jun 13, 2018 at 4:24 pm Reason: clarity
Old Jun 13, 2018, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by plc44
Trying to check in in Ho Chi Minh city and my ticket booked via MileagePlan is associated with another name.

Not quite sure what I should do. I have Alaska and CX trying to work with each other.
What does “associated” mean? Is this a middle name issue, or does your ticket reflect somebody else’s name entirely?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
If its the not matching passport due to middle name not being on the reservation then no need to worry. I had that too but no problem when i checked in at airport. Now if its someone elses name in the entirety then no idea how they would solve that one
Old Jun 13, 2018, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
So adamant that you and eponymous_coward are correct that you are dismissive to the gazillionth +1 poster? I say you MAY be incorrect or is it me??? �� lol. I won't post openly as what may not be true could become the truth if it isn't already as you say it is.

James
@Happy is putting words in my mouth. SEA-YVR-JFK on CX cannot be booked on one award on AS. I was incorrect on the point of cabotage but it's not bookable as an award.

An award involving an origin outside the USA (ICN) as OP was suggesting would not have a problem with cabotage, so implying it would would be incorrect. The wiki clearly says "YMMV" on non-HKG stopovers (rules say no, people report yes sometimes, sometimes no), and also says East Coast-West Coast routings aren't allowed, but people are reporting getting them in the thread. The rule of thumb for anything that seems to be outside the norm is "play HUCA until you're either sick of it or you find an ignorant rep on the phone who will let you fly from LHR to EZE via JNB, SYD, NRT and JFK", per FT tradition when it comes to "how can I completely play hard and fast with routing rules because I love spending time in a metal tube drinking expensive champagne".

FWIW, I've booked AS awards using some significant backtracking using the website, so there does not seem to be a complete hard and fast tradition. I know for a fact AS will allow Mexico or Hawaii routings on a CX award that could incorporate backtracking, but those have been using AS hubs and West Coast CX international gateways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.