Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metoo
Will this itinerary work?

ICN-HKG-JFK-YVR, stopover at YVR, then YVR to LAX
ICN-HKG-JFK-YVR is not allowed on a single award because it is backtracking. JFK-YVR-LAX requires 2 awards as explained clearly by eponymous_coward in the post IMMEDIATELY above yours.

HKG-JFK-YVR or LAX have been asked gazillion times on this thread as valid or not, and have been answered gazillions AS does NOT allow backtracking.

Originally Posted by Orwaid
Sure. One award ICN-HKG-JFK, one award JFK-YVR, one award YVR-LAX. Three separate tickets, three separate awards redeemed.
Correct.
osotoc likes this.

Last edited by Happy; Jun 10, 2018 at 11:21 am Reason: typo
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:51 am

Thanks Orwaid and Happy.

How about this:

ICN-HKG- LAX, stopover at LAX, then LAX to YVR

Also, if I am not able to have a free stopover, can I at least have an itinerary from ICN-HKG-LAX-YVR. ( all connecting flights as there is NO biz for ICN-HKG-YVR)
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:02 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

No, you cannot book this as a single award. Cabotage rules prevent CX from transporting passengers on a USA domestic itinerary, even if there is a connection in Canada. It would be a significant fine for AS and CX to allow this. You must book this as two awards on two tickets.
I agree that this can't be booked as single award but what is being described is not cabotage as CX does not have a US to US passenger route to begin with (unlike QF JFK-LAX but can not transport passengers on an itinerary wholly involving just JFK-LAX).

Last edited by seawolf; Jun 10, 2018 at 10:09 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metoo
Thanks Orwaid and Happy.

How about this:

ICN-HKG- LAX, stopover at LAX, then LAX to YVR

Also, if I am not able to have a free stopover, can I at least have an itinerary from ICN-HKG-LAX-YVR. ( all connecting flights as there is NO biz for ICN-HKG-YVR)
That should work as one award. Use your one shot free change smartly because you will not get free change HKG-YVR opens up once you have done the proposed change going to YVR via LAX.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
I am curious, now that Dragonair has become Cathay Dragon, and all their flights have CX flight numbers and CX handles all their reservations, can we book their flights using MP miles? I am thinking about booking one of their flights originating from HKG.

Thanka!
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by BW Flyer
I am curious, now that Dragonair has become Cathay Dragon, and all their flights have CX flight numbers and CX handles all their reservations, can we book their flights using MP miles? I am thinking about booking one of their flights originating from HKG.

Thanka!

Nope. Still not eligible. If they become available it will be included with a deval of the award chart since it involves a renegotiation of the entire agreement. They are still sold as codeshares or under the KA flight number.

Last edited by CDKing; Jun 10, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:00 pm

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CDKing
Nope. Still not eligible. If they become available it will be included with a deval of the award chart since it involves a renegotiation of the entire agreement. They are still sold as codeshares or under the KA flight number.
Thanks for clarifying this!
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by CDKing
(holding mine). He is right, see what just happened to LATAM. They added “TAM” flights, but devalued flight crediting from 100% of most all Y fare buckets to 25-100%.. ugh
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by seawolf
I agree that this can't be booked as single award but what is being described is not cabotage as CX does not have a US to US passenger route to begin with (unlike QF JFK-LAX but can not transport passengers on an itinerary wholly involving just JFK-LAX).

CX cannot be used as a carrier for an itinerary between two points in the US, even if they are only flying an international itinerary. That is a cabotage violation. That is why AS will not book a single award USA-YVR-JFK. Cathay has the authority to transport passengers YVR-JFK on a single ticket, but not USA-YYR-JFK.

There is a rather famous for FT instance where you could construct itineraries on tickets that violated cabotage, although the carriers were all flying legal routes. Some FT wiseguy decided to fly a DOT complaint for some stupid reason on one of those tickets. Fines for violating cabotage ensued, and that little loophole went away. So yes, the DOT will fine you for cabotage if you let a ticketed itinerary to be constructed that violates it.
pbd456 likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 10, 2018 at 10:30 pm
Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
ICN-HKG-JFK-YVR is not allowed on a single award because it is backtracking. JFK-YVR-LAX requires 2 awards as explained clearly by eponymous_coward in the post IMMEDIATELY above yours.

HKG-JFK-YVR or LAX have been asked gazillion times on this thread as valid or not, and have been answered gazillions AS does NOT allow backtracking.

Correct.
I'm not sure AS wouldn't allow HKG-JFK-YVR.

I've personally booked YVR-JFK-HKG successfully in the past when YVR-HKG was not available.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Sometimes with AS you get things that are not allowed to go through. Heck you could even get someone to force through bookings at 350 days out. A few bragged about it on FT and not much later one of the AS employees that monitors these threads had IT put a fix in to stop it.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

CX cannot be used as a carrier for an itinerary between two points in the US, even if they are only flying an international itinerary. That is a cabotage violation. That is why AS will not book a single award USA-YVR-JFK. Cathay has the authority to transport passengers YVR-JFK on a single ticket, but not USA-YYR-JFK.

There is a rather famous for FT instance where you could construct itineraries on tickets that violated cabotage, although the carriers were all flying legal routes. Some FT wiseguy decided to fly a DOT complaint for some stupid reason on one of those tickets. Fines for violating cabotage ensued, and that little loophole went away. So yes, the DOT will fine you for cabotage if you let a ticketed itinerary to be constructed that violates it.
But that DOT case involved a single airline flying GUM-Japan-USA, hence the cabotage issue of a foreign airline flying passengers on a domestic itinerary. This case is slightly different with two separate carriers. But I see the point.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pentiumvi

I've personally booked YVR-JFK-HKG successfully in the past when YVR-HKG was not available.
How recently you successfully booked the itinerary that should not be allowed?
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Those cases involved foreign carrier ONLY (OZ GUAM-ICN-US and NH GUAM-JPN-US). These cases makes it clear cabotage can occur "regardless of the duration of the stopover, the passenger's immigration status at the intermediate point or points, the number of tickets under which the transportation is conducted, and the number of foreign air carriers under which transportation is conducted." In OZ case, fare was priced as combination of Guam to ICN and ICN to US fares (footnote 4)

In other words, the number of awards/fare involved is irrelevant in determining cabotage. If we take your definition as correct (foreign carrier involved, but NOT wholly involved), then AS (and AA) issuing a ticket involving more than one award for CX JFK-YVR and AS/AA YVR to US is still cabotage in eyes of DOT. And we know AA/AS will issue such a ticket.

Further evidence to consider (foreign and US carrier on itinerary):
In Orbitz, I can purchase AC LGA-YYZ connecting with UA to ORD.
Priceline sell US carrier LGA-YYZ connecting with AC to ORD.

In ITA MATRIX multi segment:
  1. LGA-YYZ JUL 27
  2. YYZ-ORD JUL 28
If you select AC for segment 1, segment 2 will only return AC flights departing more than 24 hours after arrival of segment 1. However it will return UA flights for segment 2 departing less than 24 hours after arrival of segment 1.

Seems to be me DOT considered OZ/NH cases as cabotage because it involved foreign carrier ONLY and OZ was also marketing it.

While I agree you can't redeem single AS award CX JFK-YVR connecting to US carrier to US, it is not because it is cabotage. If CX JFK-YVR connecting to AS YVR-USA is truly cabotage, I suggest filing various DOT complaints because AS/AA/AC/UA are still violating it.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:25 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
seawolf's interpretation is correct - as long as a US carrier flies a part of the itinerary and the foreign flag carrier's carriage is not between two US points, it is not cabotage.

Some examples to illustrate:

Cabotage:
AC SEA-YVR
CX YVR-JFK

Cabotage:
AS SEA-LAX
QF LAX-JFK

Not cabotage:
AS SEA-YVR
CX YVR-JFK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.