Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by tanobacha
Can someone advise which One World airlines release up to 4 J awards? Last year I saw that Qatar was releasing 4 or even 5 J awards in some US to Doha segments but don't see anything more than 2 through next year. CX used to be generous in that regard to ... but apparently no longer ...
Virtually all AS partners do (OneWorld isn’t relevant), just maybe not simultaneously. So you need to stagger your purchases. Simple.

And JL often does simultaneously, or at a minimum 2F/2J.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:25 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
AS isn't a member of OW nor do they have a partnership with QR, so I don't see how this is relevant to a discussion of redeeming AS miles for CX. There are times you can redeem 4 J on EK using AS miles, but EK is not a OW airline (they are an AS partner).
I see EK SFO-DXB in late summer with 6J & 4F available on the same flight. They do exist.

James
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Point of order... CX doesn't serve Krug anymore
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
Point of order... CX doesn't serve Krug anymore
A few routes have it. Had the Krug 2004 last Month. Though it looks like they are moving to a rotation selection of vintage bubbles

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....hampagne-2018/
Old Jun 8, 2018, 8:56 am

Just a quick question. Is North America - HKG - SIN(stopover) - BKK a valid award on wholly cathay metal? Understand SIN might not be a hub but there is a daily flight from SIN-BKK on CX.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by erniekoh
Just a quick question. Is North America - HKG - SIN(stopover) - BKK a valid award on wholly cathay metal? Understand SIN might not be a hub but there is a daily flight from SIN-BKK on CX.
HKG stopovers only, despite CX's fifth freedom routes.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by erniekoh
Read the wiki at the top of the page.

Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
It's a question of how much "hang up, call again" you can stomach I guess- I've seen people get itineraries that violate what the understanding of the rules are in this thread. My personal experience is that a stopover in an AS hub on an award (in this case, SEA stopovers on AS/AA/CX awards) works pretty consistently, a stopover in a CX fifth freedom city (BKK) did not. I've been an AS elite for over a decade, but I am not inclined to spend eternities HUCA until I get the right customer service rep who will ticket an itinerary that ignores the rules, so I didn't badger people to get what I wanted (I did the stopover in HKG and visited BKK/HKG, instead of doing CMB/BKK like I wanted).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 8, 2018 at 1:56 pm
Old Jun 8, 2018, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Read the wiki at the top of the page.

It's a question of how much "hang up, call again" you can stomach I guess- I've seen people get itineraries that violate what the understanding of the rules are in this thread. My personal experience is that a stopover in an AS hub on an award (in this case, SEA stopovers on AS/AA/CX awards) works pretty consistently, a stopover in a CX fifth freedom city (BKK) did not. I've been an AS elite for over a decade, but I am not inclined to spend eternities HUCA until I get the right customer service rep who will ticket an itinerary that ignores the rules, so I didn't badger people to get what I wanted (I did the stopover in HKG and visited BKK/HKG, instead of doing CMB/BKK like I wanted).
SINBKK awards are easy to fund (i.e. Avios) or to purchase outright. Have the award end in SIN, and then just make your way to BKK. It shouldn't be taxing.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jamienbaker
SINBKK awards are easy to fund (i.e. Avios) or to purchase outright. Have the award end in SIN, and then just make your way to BKK. It shouldn't be taxing.
Yeah, that's the other thing. Which is why I've taken stopovers in SEA (that let me do things like HKG-SEA-DCA) instead of tag flights before or after HKG. UA miles used to be gold for this, Avios are just as fine for shorthaul Asia if you're wanting just one nonstop flight.
jamienbaker likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CDKing
A few routes have it. Had the Krug 2004 last Month. Though it looks like they are moving to a rotation selection of vintage bubbles

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....hampagne-2018/
Damn... oh well.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:06 am

Hi,

Does anyone know if I can use Alaska miles to book SEA-YVR-JFK (via CX biz on the YVR-JFK segment)? If so, how many miles does it require for one way? Is it still 25K? Or do I actually have to book two separate flights (SEA-YVR via AS then YVR-JFK via CX)?

Thanks.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 3:22 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
I don't think you can do one award because CX cant transport you intra USA?
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by apple1122
Hi,

Does anyone know if I can use Alaska miles to book SEA-YVR-JFK (via CX biz on the YVR-JFK segment)? If so, how many miles does it require for one way? Is it still 25K? Or do I actually have to book two separate flights (SEA-YVR via AS then YVR-JFK via CX)?

Thanks.
No, you cannot book this as a single award. Cabotage rules prevent CX from transporting passengers on a USA domestic itinerary, even if there is a connection in Canada. It would be a significant fine for AS and CX to allow this. You must book this as two awards on two tickets.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:49 am

Will this itinerary work?

ICN-HKG-JFK-YVR, stopover at YVR, then YVR to LAX
Old Jun 10, 2018, 9:53 am

Sure. One award ICN-HKG-JFK, one award JFK-YVR, one award YVR-LAX. Three separate tickets, three separate awards redeemed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.