Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by metoo
Is it $12.50 Partner fee for Round trip ?
No. One way. $12.50 one way, $25 round trip.

Also, if I book a round trip from Canada/USA to HKG, can I change the date for the inbound without losing my outbound flight?
You should be able to change a return without losing an outbound or vice versa, yes.
Old May 31, 2018, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it $12.50 Partner fee for Round trip ?

Also, if I book a round trip from Canada/USA to HKG, can I change the date for the inbound without losing my outbound flight? The request will be post June 5th so one free change allowed.

Example- Booked the round trip prior to June 5th the following: LAX to HKG January 10th , 2019 and HKG to LAX January 21, 2019

Then October 2018 I just want to change the HKG to LAX to February 10th, will my LAX to HKG for January 10th still be intact?
Since you would not save $12.50 why not book them as 2 separate itineraries. That way you eliminate any potential of screw up due to agent error.
Gives it to me I would ALWAYS book one ways if there is no advantage on a R/T booking (stopover being the most obvious). Why sweat the $12.50 additional? Just as you wonder how to get the $15 phone booking fee waived... Dont sweat the small charges over the big picture.
eponymous_coward, osotoc and T2A like this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:10 am

Sometimes it can be an advantage to have it in one booking such as only paying one fee to make changes or cancel both outbound and inbound journeys.

I agree with you though and would be separately in most cases.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by potm
Sometimes it can be an advantage to have it in one booking such as only paying one fee to make changes or cancel both outbound and inbound journeys.

I agree with you though and would be separately in most cases.
In this particular case, booking 2 one-ways also enables 2 one-shot changes versus only one shot if booked as R/T.

Note the alleged travel time frame is many months away, pretty speculative bookings the way I see it.

Bottom line, people should not make speculative bookings because of the 60 days rule. Enough abuse of such is probably part of the reasons AS takes it away and only preserve this for their top elites.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Happy
Bottom line, people should not make speculative bookings because of the 60 days rule. Enough abuse of such is probably part of the reasons AS takes it away and only preserve this for their top elites.
I think it has more to do with AS missing the cash flow than issues with the abuse.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:21 am

I changed my itinerary to CX Biz from ICN to HKG to LAX- connecting time is 3 hours in HKG and the taxes is $71.20. It seems high. Is this correct?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Change fee hits CX

The introduction of the change fee is going to be an expense for those booking on Cathay who aren't in a city served directly by CX.

Example: Friends booking 2 J tickets from Australia to Seattle. AS agent saw the same J space on possibilities for the first leg as QF/BA (but not the PE space) and only offered HKG-SFO, so not sure if she could see the HKG-LAX space. (There was 2J showing on both CX882 and CX892 on QF/BA.)

ADL-HKG-SFO booked fine. This was for Apr 29 next year, within the first 24 hours that it could be booked, so there was no AS award availability for SFO-SEA. Today, SFO-SEA is showing F award availability, so they'll be able to add it. In future, this reservation would cost a change fee. Basically unavoidable, because leaving the booking until the AS connection can be booked, odds are the CX availability will be gone.

(Of the 8 J seats that were showing available on Apr 29 HKG-LAX/SFO a day or so ago, there is only 1 left now, according to BA, and that's on CX880.)
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Kremmen
The introduction of the change fee is going to be an expense for those booking on Cathay who aren't in a city served directly by CX.

Example: Friends booking 2 J tickets from Australia to Seattle. AS agent saw the same J space on possibilities for the first leg as QF/BA (but not the PE space) and only offered HKG-SFO, so not sure if she could see the HKG-LAX space. (There was 2J showing on both CX882 and CX892 on QF/BA.)

ADL-HKG-SFO booked fine. This was for Apr 29 next year, within the first 24 hours that it could be booked, so there was no AS award availability for SFO-SEA. Today, SFO-SEA is showing F award availability, so they'll be able to add it. In future, this reservation would cost a change fee. Basically unavoidable, because leaving the booking until the AS connection can be booked, odds are the CX availability will be gone.

(Of the 8 J seats that were showing available on Apr 29 HKG-LAX/SFO a day or so ago, there is only 1 left now, according to BA, and that's on CX880.)
It's not just booking an AS connection that'll suck if you're not a Gold or 75K. Any HKG connections from westbound TRANSPAC flights are going to be the next day, so that'll require a subsequent call if you're booking at AS's schedule window opening. Same goes for booking a stopover in either direction.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:56 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member

Originally Posted by jinglish
It's not just booking an AS connection that'll suck if you're not a Gold or 75K. Any HKG connections from westbound TRANSPAC flights are going to be the next day, so that'll require a subsequent call if you're booking at AS's schedule window opening. Same goes for booking a stopover in either direction.
Is competition for CX seats that keen s.t. you can't even wait 24 hours?

If you guys are snapping up all seats made available at the 330 day border, I think there's a eminent business case for CX to raise AS reimbursement rates for premium awards.
windchaser777 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
Can't you guys wait 24 hours?
When there are 8 J seats available at 330 days and 1 J left at 329 days, surely the self-evident answer is "no"?

As for the business case for CX to raise AS reimbursement rates for premium awards, don't forget that we are just getting the scraps that CX, BA and QF frequent flyers haven't already taken.
jinglish likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:10 am

As for the business case for CX to raise AS reimbursement rates for premium awards, don't forget that we are just getting the scraps that CX, BA and QF frequent flyers haven't already taken.
Still the scraps seem to be very valuable if AS members are still "snapping" them up as soon as your booking window opens.

Is this for some US prime date or some other reason why your result is unrepresentative of year-round demand?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:11 am

(Duplicate, please delete)
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Still the scraps seem to be very valuable if AS members are still "snapping" them up as soon as your booking window opens.
That they are valuable doesn’t establish that they are underpriced. CX presumably knows what it needs to to set a market clearing price.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
That they are valuable doesn’t establish that they are underpriced.
Dont get
If they're valuable but priced according to their market value then I don't expect to see snapping up (snapping up also happens with mistake fares).

Furthermore I believe Choice/Tailored is CX's attempt to market price more valuable awards to its own members.

Last edited by percysmith; Jun 4, 2018 at 11:39 am
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:32 am

Is this for some US prime date or some other reason why your result is unrepresentative of year-round demand?
I don't know of any specific reason. One week earlier still has pairs of J seats available. I haven't looked at it that extensively, except when I'm wanting to fly. (And, in this case, I looked at it because friends were travelling.)

What I have noticed is that demand cycles between HKG and Aust are very different to that between HKG and the USA. So if you want to travel USA-Aust or v.v. and don't grab seats when they are available, there is a very much more significant risk of one end being available while the other isn't. (Sometimes you can get around that by having a stopover in HKG, though it is a pretty expensive place to waste a few days if you don't actually want to be there.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.