Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
3) Overpriced - tough to define. I work in New York City, it's hard for me not to laugh at what a great value Bali is.
I think it's pretty easy. Compare wages/cost of living, you'd expect Bali to be < 1/10 the price of NYC. A little unfair? Okay, compare to Thailand then. Or just take the word of the Bali cab driver who discussed with me what he'd pay for dinner vs what I was paying.

I went with an open mind, visited a number of areas and stayed in a number of hotels. I'm simply comparing it to other places that I've been nearby (Krabi, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Kuching, Penang, etc), not to New York or anywhere else in the first world. (Though that does remind me that internet speeds were poor compared to Thailand too.)

Anyhow, we obviously have a different approach. 18 times? I've never been any one place overseas anything like that often. I enjoy variety, so I'm looking at CX for Cebu some day and TG and SQ for more of Thailand and Indonesia.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mster
Trying to book Japan-HKG-EU with CX with a 10 hour layover at HKG. AS agents are insisting that this can only be priced out as two separate awards (Intra-Asia + Asia-EU). Is this accurate?
Yes. If you look at the charts, you'll see the rates listed for Asia-Europe are from HKG only.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kremmen
I think it's pretty easy. Compare wages/cost of living, you'd expect Bali to be < 1/10 the price of NYC. A little unfair? Okay, compare to Thailand then. Or just take the word of the Bali cab driver who discussed with me what he'd pay for dinner vs what I was paying.

I went with an open mind, visited a number of areas and stayed in a number of hotels. I'm simply comparing it to other places that I've been nearby (Krabi, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Kuching, Penang, etc), not to New York or anywhere else in the first world. (Though that does remind me that internet speeds were poor compared to Thailand too.)

Anyhow, we obviously have a different approach. 18 times? I've never been any one place overseas anything like that often. I enjoy variety, so I'm looking at CX for Cebu some day and TG and SQ for more of Thailand and Indonesia.
Agree. You only should compare the prices with the local's income level because that is what the real prices are. Tourists definitely pay a lot more at Bali.

I dont think Bali holds a candle to Krabi in Thailand but that is just my opinion. We dont like Bali at all. My husband felt it was a total waste of time. So as my brother who lives in HKG. I am more open-minded and feel at least we should go once and see the sights before totally write it off.
BTW, the famous post card sight of the temple by the edge of the water - in reality, the surrounding was quite dirty, very crowded, and I guess you would need to be there at dawn in order to get the feel the post card tries to convey. During mid day? we were very disappointed on what we saw.
Infrastructure is indeed very poor.
That said, we think the seafood stalls and restaurants at Jimbaran Beach are good but not outstanding, nor being any cheap. We had better seafood at Phuket. Plus you have to be watchful and not let the restaurants switched the seafood you paid for with something inferior.
If you are a diver though, diving is very good from what I heard. We have long passed our diver stage in our lives so we no longer keen in going anywhere the diving is good but SIL and her husband went to Bali several times just for the diving. Though they like Philippines better, the islands near Cebu where you have a plan going. Though the islands they went, to me are not safe due to the pirates.

Last edited by Happy; May 30, 2018 at 1:07 pm
Old May 30, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by mster
Trying to book Japan-HKG-EU with CX with a 10 hour layover at HKG. AS agents are insisting that this can only be priced out as two separate awards (Intra-Asia + Asia-EU). Is this accurate?
Per the wiki:

The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG).
osotoc and jinglish like this.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Kremmen

In fairness, first 10 trips were when I lived in Guam and could fly for free - so they don't really count. As for the 8 trips from New York, we do try and tag something else. We've done Bali+Japan (a couple times), Bali+Vietnam, Bali+Singapore, Bali+Thailand. Problem also is we travel in August, when places like Koh Samui are too wet to visit. When I visited Phuket it simply made me want to be back in Bali. I've yet to find a single vacation spot in Southeast Asia that offers as much variety and activity as Bali does.

But, getting back to the topic on hand, wife and kids flying to Singapore for a few days this summer...thinking about switching from CX to JL since JL offers a proper lay-flat product on the Singapore segment. Plus, easier to get all three in F than on CX (though we usually tend to manage).

Best to all - Jamie
Old May 30, 2018, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by Ellice
The wiki needs to be amended as the prior to 60 days of travel free change/ cancellation rule is changing as of 4th June 2018. After this date a fee of $125 USD will be charged for cancellations and changes to bookings.
So does this mean after June 4th, a cancellation fee of US$125 will apply even if changes/cancellation occurs is more than 60 days?

I made a booking AMS to HKG and would like to change it to departing from MAN instead. Would this be considered a change or cancellation? Trying to avoid another $15 booking fee !

Old May 30, 2018, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

So does this mean after June 4th, a cancellation fee of US$125 will apply even if changes/cancellation occurs is more than 60 days?

I made a booking AMS to HKG and would like to change it to departing from MAN instead. Would this be considered a change or cancellation? Trying to avoid another $15 booking fee !

the new policy only applies for bookings made on June 5th and after. as long as the bookings are made prior to that date, you are still subject to the old policy
Old May 30, 2018, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

You will get ONE free change or cancellation to a booking made before June 5th for up to 60 days prior to date of travel (assuming no AS MVPG+ status) because your ticket was issued under those rules. If an award ticket is issued or reissued after June 5th you will no longer be eligible for free changes or cancellations regardless of whether or not it's 60 days before travel.

AS does not modify partner tickets. You get a new ticket each time you change. Thus you get one and only one freebie unless you are Gold+.

I made a booking AMS to HKG and would like to change it to departing from MAN instead. Would this be considered a change or cancellation?

That would be a change.

Originally Posted by gnomey
the new policy only applies for bookings made on June 5th and after. as long as the bookings are made prior to that date, you are still subject to the old policy
It's important to note that this does not mean "you can make as many changes as you like as long as you originally booked before 6/5/18 and it's 60 days out, just like under the old rules". You will get one and only one change or cancellation.
jinglish likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 30, 2018 at 4:58 pm
Old May 30, 2018, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

You will get ONE free change or cancellation to a booking made before June 5th for up to 60 days prior to date of travel (assuming no AS MVPG+ status) because your ticket was issued under those rules. If an award ticket is issued or reissued after June 5th you will no longer be eligible for free changes or cancellations regardless of whether or not it's 60 days before travel.

AS does not modify partner tickets. You get a new ticket each time you change. Thus you get one and only one freebie unless you are Gold+.

That would be a change.

It's important to note that this does not mean "you can make as many changes as you like as long as you originally booked before 6/5/18 and it's 60 days out, just like under the old rules". You will get one and only one change or cancellation.
Thank you for your detailed responses.
Old May 30, 2018, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

That would be a change.

yes

for bookings made june 4th and before

* june 4 and before : make as many changes as you want, or cancel the ticket, as long as departure date is 60+ days out
* june 5 and after : can only make one change, or cancel the ticket, as long as departure date is 60+ days out
Old May 30, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
yes

* june 4 and before : make as many changes as you want, or cancel the ticket, as long as departure date is 60+ days out
* june 5 and after : can only make one change, or cancel the ticket, as long as departure date is 60+ days out
No. No. Read that again.
Old May 30, 2018, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yes

I gather you are trying to say, between now and June 4th, you can cramp in as many changes you want.
But if you hold tickets issued before June 5th, and you have not done anything between now and June 4th, you have exactly ONE shot to change / cancel for free as long as the 60 days window requirement is met.

However the way you say it, adds more confusion than clarification as I had to read 3 times before I thought I finally understood what you were saying.

Last edited by Happy; May 30, 2018 at 7:24 pm
Old May 30, 2018, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I gather you are trying to say, between now and June 4th, you can cramp in as many changes you want.
But if you hold tickets issued before June 5th, and you have not done anything between now and June 4th, you have exactly ONE shot to change / cancel for free as long as the 60 days window requirement is met.

However the way you say it, adds more confusion than clarification as I had to read 3 times before I thought I finally understood what you were saying.
yes, my post in #2215 is only relevant to bookings made June 4th and prior bc the earlier post #2212 was incomplete/misleading.

i had to clarify this policy multiple times with AS agents, do trial and error changes with my existing bookings (for clarity, they are all revenue bookings, i dont have any award booking with AS now, not sure if this matters or not - if it does, then award flight bookers should ignore whatever i said), to ensure i understood it right.

what you said is another way of saying it. but as far as i know, even if you have made multiple times of ticket changes prior to June 5th, you can still make one more change or cancellation on june 5th or after. but only one more time. and only if departure date is 60+days away. i could be wrong on this final point, but in any case, i m doing all my changes before the judgment day to avoid any fiascos.

Last edited by gnomey; May 30, 2018 at 11:05 pm
Old May 30, 2018, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by jinglish
Yes. If you look at the charts, you'll see the rates listed for Asia-Europe are from HKG only.
Great. Thanks for pointing this out.

Last edited by mster; May 31, 2018 at 2:31 am
Old May 31, 2018, 1:34 pm

Is it $12.50 Partner fee for Round trip ?

Also, if I book a round trip from Canada/USA to HKG, can I change the date for the inbound without losing my outbound flight? The request will be post June 5th so one free change allowed.

Example- Booked the round trip prior to June 5th the following: LAX to HKG January 10th , 2019 and HKG to LAX January 21, 2019

Then October 2018 I just want to change the HKG to LAX to February 10th, will my LAX to HKG for January 10th still be intact?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.