Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 8:05 pm

Is it true that you have to pay for the booking fee of $15 if booking with CX on the phone? I was told several times and even by supervisors.

Also I added a stop over on Alaska airlines and I am in the main cabin even though my CX flight is on Business Class. Is this correct? this is for the "savers fare" of 25k for PHL to SEA to LAX not the 60k

Last edited by metoo; May 28, 2018 at 9:40 pm
Old May 28, 2018, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

Found searching the thread for “phone booking fee”.

I suppose you can keep trying HUCA as you already have since experiences are inconsistent. It is a way to save $15...
Old May 29, 2018, 1:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Found searching the thread for “phone booking fee”.

I suppose you can keep trying HUCA as you already have since experiences are inconsistent. It is a way to save $15...
As an Elite MVPG+ I have never been charged, nor has it ever come up in the conversation.

James
Old May 29, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metoo
IAlso I added a stop over on Alaska airlines and I am in the main cabin even though my CX flight is on Business Class. Is this correct? this is for the "savers fare" of 25k for PHL to SEA to LAX not the 60k
Does 25k Saver F inventory exist on your dates? Transcon Saver F isn't amazingly common- it does exist but there's not a lot of it. Since you haven't provided any dates we can't really help out here... you can do the lookup on alaskaair.com for your dates, PHL-SEA, search with "using miles".

A very cursory search indicates not a lot of saver F on random dates. Coach saver is very common, however.

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
As an Elite MVPG+ I have never been charged, nor has it ever come up in the conversation.

James
OP did not indicate status in their post. I am guessing no AS elite status since they are asking a bunch of questions that are things experienced AS MP redeemers would know, or are extensively discussed on FT or this thread. Your experience would be in line with the post I linked to, and my own experience during times when I have had Gold status.

Originally Posted by beckoa
Only for MVPG+ is this fee waived.
AS waives all fees regarding ticket-related issues for Gold+, except partner booking.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; May 29, 2018 at 11:10 am
Old May 29, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
The wiki needs to be amended as the prior to 60 days of travel free change/ cancellation rule is changing as of 4th June 2018. After this date a fee of $125 USD will be charged for cancellations and changes to bookings.
Old May 29, 2018, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ellice
The wiki needs to be amended as the prior to 60 days of travel free change/ cancellation rule is changing as of 4th June 2018. After this date a fee of $125 USD will be charged for cancellations and changes to bookings.
You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
Programs: Qantas, Air New Zealand GE, SPG
Old May 29, 2018, 4:57 pm

eponymous-

"Does 25k Saver F inventory exist on your dates? Transcon Saver F isn't amazingly common- it does exist but there's not a lot of it. Since you haven't provided any dates we can't really help out here... you can do the lookup on alaskaair.com for your dates, PHL-SEA, search with "using miles".

A very cursory search indicates not a lot of saver F on random dates. Coach saver is very common, however."

For October 6, PHL to SEA at 5:15 flight connecting in SEA to LAX did show 25k ( coach for first leg and first class for 2nd leg ) but this morning , the first class changed to 60k so no longer a savers award. Therefore, I don't think I have a case anymore as it changed from 25k to 60k overnight.
Old May 29, 2018, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metoo
eponymous-

"Does 25k Saver F inventory exist on your dates? Transcon Saver F isn't amazingly common- it does exist but there's not a lot of it. Since you haven't provided any dates we can't really help out here... you can do the lookup on alaskaair.com for your dates, PHL-SEA, search with "using miles".

A very cursory search indicates not a lot of saver F on random dates. Coach saver is very common, however."

For October 6, PHL to SEA at 5:15 flight connecting in SEA to LAX did show 25k ( coach for first leg and first class for 2nd leg ) but this morning , the first class changed to 60k so no longer a savers award. Therefore, I don't think I have a case anymore as it changed from 25k to 60k overnight.
I have not seen a Transcon award in saver other than a sudden window many months ago when the VX flights were having upfront seats in saver and the bloggers of any color broadcasting it. The AS and VX planes have very few front row seats so the chance of getting a saver is extreme slim, very illusive.

What do you care for the SEA-LAX in F? I lost mine in opposite direction last Sept when CX had a Med Evac diversion to SFO before it returned to LAX. Husband was on the original flight in F. He said other than the leg room, the food was near inedible and I had not missed much... The kind GA on my flight after his, changed me from middle seat in row 10 to an aisle seat further back, she said that was at least I could do when no more F seat available. It was fine at the aisle seat.
Old May 29, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
If my AS 1889 LAX-SFO flight arrives at 12:30pm, will my bags check through to my CX 873 flight departing SFO at 11:50pm?
Old May 30, 2018, 5:04 am

I just booked MEL-HKG-JFK and was not charged any phone booking fee.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by callmedtop
LOL, what a stupid comment.
Not at all. I was perfectly serious. Bali edges out Penang for most disappointing place I've been in Asia. Terrible infrastructure (I wonder where the tourist money is going?), lots of very pushy locals, unimpressive beaches and massively over-priced (given the cost of living there). When you see those pretty pictures of Ubud, you don't get the full experience of the reality of a place where the sound and smell of diesel smoke from all the roads choked with stationary trucks is everywhere.

Originally Posted by pointsbrah
Any other recommendations then?
Like eponymous_coward, I generally use *A in that area. I'll admit I'd missed some of the CX cutbacks, such as KUL, which does make things even more tedious recently from the AS perspective. Going CX would probably mean catching another short flight to another destination from BKK (e.g. HKT, KBV, USM) or SIN (e.g. KCH, BKI, LGK), unless there's anything you like near MNL or CEB.

I'm surprised by the idea of using a Marriott Travel Package. Points values tend to be pretty terrible in that region. e.g. Fairfield by Marriott Bali Legian is a cat 4 and about USD40/night. Most cat 4 properties in Europe are around EUR80/night. Similarly with IHG, 20k pts/night is worth about USD50 in Asia or about three times that in Europe. Also, hotel promos tend to be per night, so Thailand, Bali, etc, are great places to earn tons of bonus points cheaply. (My IHG spending last trip earned me almost the same value back in points, with Accelerate bonuses, when I spent them in Europe.)

Last edited by Kremmen; May 30, 2018 at 10:03 am
Old May 30, 2018, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kremmen
Not at all. I was perfectly serious. Bali edges out Penang for most disappointing place I've been in Asia. Terrible infrastructure (I wonder where the tourist money is going?), lots of very pushy locals, unimpressive beaches and massively over-priced (given the cost of living there). When you see those pretty pictures of Ubud, you don't get the full experience of the reality of a place where the sound and smell of diesel smoke from all the roads choked with stationary trucks is everywhere.

Like eponymous_coward, I generally use *A in that area. I'll admit I'd missed some of the CX cutbacks, such as KUL, which does make things even more tedious recently from the AS perspective. Going CX would probably mean catching another short flight to another destination from BKK (e.g. HKT, KBV, USM) or SIN (e.g. KCH, BKI, LGK), unless there's anything you like near MNL or CEB.

I'm surprised by the idea of using a Marriott Travel Package. Points values to be pretty terrible in that region. e.g. Fairfield by Marriott Bali Legian is a cat 4 and about USD40/night. Most cat 4 properties in Europe are around EUR80/night. Similarly with IHG, 20k pts/night is worth about USD50 in Asia or about three times that in Europe. Also, hotel promos tend to be per night, so Thailand, Bali, etc, are great places to earn tons of bonus points cheaply. (My IHG spending last trip earned me almost the same value back in points, with Accelerate bonuses, when I spent them in Europe.)
I don’t agree on Bali, but I am more a cheap shack on the beach kind of guy when it comes to SE Asia beaches (plus I spent time in Lovina and the surfing schools, and found prices to be OK). I also liked Penang. Horses for courses I guess.

But otherwise I agree, CX’s network is not great for SE Asia beach destinations unless you’re paying for an additional flight. And points in SE Asia are often a bad proposition unless you don’t want to spend cash and are comfortable with poor cash value for your points. (I burned Hilton in Bangkok but that was because it was a good deal- how often is Millennium Hilton at 17k a night?/.6 cpp?)

Old May 30, 2018, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Kremmen
Happy to push back:

1) Infrastructure - while it's GDP doesn't technically define Indonesia as "third world", the transit experience (so, roads, sidewalks, airport, etc) is most certainly third world, and visitors should expect as much. Anyone surprised has only themselves to blame.
2) Unimpressive beaches - anyone under the impression that Bali is a beach paradise hasn't done their research. Unless diving or surfing, there's no reason to think "beach" when planning a Balinese vacation.
3) Overpriced - tough to define. I work in New York City, it's hard for me not to laugh at what a great value Bali is. Maybe I'd feel differently if buying property there, don't know. Aside from what I pay in lodging (as opposed to staying home for free), I typically SAVE money when I go to Bali.

We're heading there for the 18th time this summer, the 8th with kids (now teens). Typically spend a week on the outskirts of Ubud to avoid the crowds, and use scooters to get around. Then maybe a week in Pemuteran or Candidasa right on the water, enjoy some diving, then wrap in Seminyak at the W Hotel for the party of it all.

Sounds to me like a) you've been just once and b) you really didn't know what you were getting into. I've found Balinese locals to be truly wonderful people, I find the interior sections of the island to be magical, it only takes a little bit of effort to get off the grid and be in the middle of nowhere. Kuta and Nusa Dua? Sure, they're dead to me. But if you failed to adequately plan for your trip there, just say so - and avoid throwing the entire place under the bus.

Respectfully, Jamie
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Happy to push back:

1) Infrastructure - while it's GDP doesn't technically define Indonesia as "third world", the transit experience (so, roads, sidewalks, airport, etc) is most certainly third world, and visitors should expect as much. Anyone surprised has only themselves to blame.
2) Unimpressive beaches - anyone under the impression that Bali is a beach paradise hasn't done their research. Unless diving or surfing, there's no reason to think "beach" when planning a Balinese vacation.
3) Overpriced - tough to define. I work in New York City, it's hard for me not to laugh at what a great value Bali is. Maybe I'd feel differently if buying property there, don't know. Aside from what I pay in lodging (as opposed to staying home for free), I typically SAVE money when I go to Bali.

We're heading there for the 18th time this summer, the 8th with kids (now teens). Typically spend a week on the outskirts of Ubud to avoid the crowds, and use scooters to get around. Then maybe a week in Pemuteran or Candidasa right on the water, enjoy some diving, then wrap in Seminyak at the W Hotel for the party of it all.

Sounds to me like a) you've been just once and b) you really didn't know what you were getting into. I've found Balinese locals to be truly wonderful people, I find the interior sections of the island to be magical, it only takes a little bit of effort to get off the grid and be in the middle of nowhere. Kuta and Nusa Dua? Sure, they're dead to me. But if you failed to adequately plan for your trip there, just say so - and avoid throwing the entire place under the bus.

Respectfully, Jamie
The diving in Bali is very good. Maybe not quite up to Lembeh or Ambon, but definitely world class. Resorts on the east coast of Bali where the good diving is are dirt cheap for what you get. Surfing is also excellent, pretty consistent, and farther up the west coast pretty uncrowded. For any group, the cost and luxury of a villa in those areas is exceptional.
jamienbaker likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:00 pm

Trying to book Japan-HKG-EU with CX with a 10 hour layover at HKG. AS agents are insisting that this can only be priced out as two separate awards (Intra-Asia + Asia-EU). Is this accurate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.