Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by yoyo
I wish people stop claiming that they saw 4F on BA. Try to change to 4 passengers and see if you still show 4F...
Well, when I had the agent on the line, she told me "Yes, there are 4 first seats on that flight," (meaning the JFK-HKG flight) so, hey, there you go. I'm not "claiming" anything - that's what happened. She may have been confused, but that's what was showing on the BA website and that's what she said she saw. When I looked yesterday for the same date, there was nothing showing for both premium cabins, so maybe the site and agent were wrong, but no need to get a dig in at me for that...
Old May 22, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
SPG has a 35% off sale on Starpoints until 5/31 (you have to already be an SPG member). If you need less than 30k SPG (which you can transfer to 90k Marriott) this could be an option to get you there before July.
THIS. Definitely stock up on the SPG points on sale. Our Marriott travel package was purchased this way- both my hubby and I purchased 30K SPG and together that’s 60K SPG for about $1800 CAD ($682 USD was approximately $900CAD). Totally worth it.

Wish we could buy more SPG points but alas 30K per year per person limit.
pointsbrah likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Not necessarily. There may be more or cheaper LCC options closer to DPS, since HKG-DPS is close to USA/CA transcon length.

i would probably use SIN or CGK. CGK is an internal flight, SIN has multiple LCCs on the route (so LOTS of cheap options) and makes a nice stopover you could incorporate into your plans.
I flew DPS-SIN in January to connect back to DXB on a SQ J award. KLM offers daily nonstop B777 service on a Fifth Freedom flight DPS-SIN-AMS. My ticket with baggage and seat selection was about $95 all in. They were selling J upgrades for €99 at check-in. Spent three days in SIN, great experience.

James.
pointsbrah likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 11:53 am

What would you say are the best Airports to 'position' yourself at in the US for a CX redemption using AS? (From a Canadian perspective, assuming YYZ availability is taken)
Old May 24, 2018, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by pointsbrah
What would you say are the best Airports to 'position' yourself at in the US for a CX redemption using AS? (From a Canadian perspective, assuming YYZ availability is taken)
JFK. Because you can always get to EWR or BOS in a pinch.
osotoc and pointsbrah like this.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:41 pm

Eastern or Western Canada? There seems to be good award availability on CX right now from the West coast. I have just booked:

CX 1 F & 1J LAX-HKG//HKG-BNE for February with AS F connecting from Canada via SEA.

CX 1J MEL-HKG-ICN for September

JL 1F HND-LAX for September with connecting AS to Canada via Seattle

To go with my QF F DFW-SYD in August.

James
pointsbrah likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
JFK without a doubt for CX.

For JAL F it’s JFK and ORD.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:17 am

Programs: UA, AS
CX has a big devaluation (or "enhancement", I've heard it both ways) coming June 22nd. While most of the changes affect AsiaMiles members, CX is promising improved award availability. Based on my searches on one route SFO-HKG this may not be the case for partners. There was a huge drop in partner award availability today since they announced the new changes. Before today I was seeing many flights with 4J at the window and now it is max 2J.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:32 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Our best guess is partners will redeem at "Standard" level, which is like Saver at AA (not sure what is the equivalent bucket in AS) and is less available than Choice (more available) and Tailored (most available) buckets.

Not sure if there really will be substantive changes - really we have Standard, Priority 1 and Priority 2 now. We hardly use the Priority buckets.
Old May 25, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
CX has a big devaluation (or "enhancement", I've heard it both ways) coming June 22nd. While most of the changes affect AsiaMiles members, CX is promising improved award availability. Based on my searches on one route SFO-HKG this may not be the case for partners. There was a huge drop in partner award availability today since they announced the new changes. Before today I was seeing many flights with 4J at the window and now it is max 2J.
AS representatives are in HKG last week meeting with CX. Something is definitely up. QF space drying up, significant delay in implementation of the new partners, introduction of basic Economy. A lot of this started long before VX purchase. Writing is on the walls. Massive devaluation coming.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:14 am

Good catch. JFK also 2J at edge of window, has been 4J for several years though can’t say I’ve looked recently. 1F/2J seems the new normal. We can deal due family of four and willing to separate. But tough for larger groups in cities with just one daily frequency.
callmedtop likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:37 am

Can anyone confirm that there is NO close in fee for booking with Alaska Airlines?

For example, would I pay the same amount of taxes and fees whether I book CX YVR to HKG 2 days from now or a month from now?
Old May 25, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by metoo
Can anyone confirm that there is NO close in fee for booking with Alaska Airlines?

For example, would I pay the same amount of taxes and fees whether I book CX YVR to HKG 2 days from now or a month from now?
Correct.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I am looking to get some AS miles via Marriott Travel Packages. Just wondering how likely it is to get 4Js from Australia to USA/Canada via Hong Kong? I know that I cannot just use BA tool to look into it as it seems As as different allocations of awards.
Old May 25, 2018, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
I am looking to get some AS miles via Marriott Travel Packages. Just wondering how likely it is to get 4Js from Australia to USA/Canada via Hong Kong? I know that I cannot just use BA tool to look into it as it seems As as different allocations of awards.
Why use BA? You have QF! See what you find and call AS to book. 😁 Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.