Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old May 17, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by pointsbrah
Curious to see how your trip turns out! I am in a similar situation, although don't have my points built up yet
It turned out pretty well.

Planes. Trains. Busses. Boats. Cars. Hong Kong. Bali. Bangkok. Berlin.

No AS miles used, though.
pointsbrah likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Curious to see how your trip turns out! I am in a similar situation, although don't have my points built up yet
I booked 2J DPS-HKG-YYZ as soon as HKG-YYZ was available at 330 days out. Called AS and agent (based in Phoenix) could see 2 J on DPS -HKG no problem, but for HKG-YYZ could only see 1J for the evening departure, and 2J for morning departure. I wanted evening departure originally but decided to grab the morning departure since agent could book them right away.

Yup here we go. Yeah!!
pbelmore and pointsbrah like this.
Old May 17, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Just booked JFK-HKG-BKK for January 3rd...BA was showing 4 First seats available, but agent could only see seats for JFK-HKG...asked her to search separately for HKG-BKK and she was able to see the availability I was seeing on BA for the connection. Was able to nab both into a single reservation in about 20 minutes. Was the first time an AS agent wasn't able to book a ticket I found availability on BA smoothly - with 4 seats showing, I thought it would be a breeze. Worked out in the end, but not without some hold time. Agent was friendly and excited she could book it all for me!
Old May 18, 2018, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by ralph4878
Just booked JFK-HKG-BKK for January 3rd...BA was showing 4 First seats available, but agent could only see seats for JFK-HKG...asked her to search separately for HKG-BKK and she was able to see the availability I was seeing on BA for the connection. Was able to nab both into a single reservation in about 20 minutes. Was the first time an AS agent wasn't able to book a ticket I found availability on BA smoothly - with 4 seats showing, I thought it would be a breeze. Worked out in the end, but not without some hold time. Agent was friendly and excited she could book it all for me!
Don’t understand. What did you book? If BA showing 4 F seats JFKHKG segment than that is phantom. How many seats did you ultimately book?
Happy and windchaser777 like this.
Old May 20, 2018, 1:41 am

Seeing decent award one-way availability for YYZ -> DPS J class x2 on CX around 330 days out, but pretty much nothing for DPS->YYZ to come back (searching both Qantas and BA). Is this common? The only CX I am seeing coming back is connecting with BA, no CX only award flights.
Old May 20, 2018, 5:15 am

Seeing decent award one-way availability for YYZ -> DPS J class x2 on CX around 330 days out, but pretty much nothing for DPS->YYZ to come back (searching both Qantas and BA). Is this common? The only CX I am seeing coming back is connecting with BA, no CX only award flights.
searching by segment?
Old May 20, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by jamienbaker

searching by segment?
I searched by segment as well, but couldn't find segment flights on the same days of departure DPS->HKG and HKG->DPS
Old May 20, 2018, 9:08 am

I searched by segment as well, but couldn't find segment flights on the same days of departure DPS->HKG and HKG->DPS
I'd lock down the long-haul if it is available. And then continue monitoring for the short-haul. You can add that tag later, or even buy a ticket if it comes to that.

Good luck - Jamie
pointsbrah likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd lock down the long-haul if it is available. And then continue monitoring for the short-haul. You can add that tag later, or even buy a ticket if it comes to that.

Good luck - Jamie
Note that after June 5 adding segments will cost $125 without elite status. An economy ticket may be a better deal.
Old May 20, 2018, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Note that after June 5 adding segments will cost $125 without elite status. An economy ticket may be a better deal.
They still have through 6/4 to book to keep a one fee free 60 day advance change/cancel benefit.
Old May 20, 2018, 10:59 pm

Good luck - Jamie
Silly question but if I add the segment after the fact, does it cost extra miles?
Old May 20, 2018, 11:27 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Silly question but if I add the segment after the fact, does it cost extra miles?
If the addition causes the ticket to price as a more expensive award, yes.
pointsbrah likes this.
Old May 20, 2018, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DPS wouldn’t (Asia) but JNB/MLE/CMB/SYD would (Africa/ME/India/Australia).
pointsbrah likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 6:42 pm

I apologize if this has been asked and answered (I did a search for MLE and Maldives in this thread and couldnt find answer). Is an award flight from North America/US (SFO) to Maldives (MLE) in Business 50K miles one way or 62.5K miles one way? Getting conflicting answers from the blogs and from this thread. Thanks in advance!
Old May 21, 2018, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelbugging
I apologize if this has been asked and answered (I did a search for MLE and Maldives in this thread and couldnt find answer). Is an award flight from North America/US (SFO) to Maldives (MLE) in Business 50K miles one way or 62.5K miles one way? Getting conflicting answers from the blogs and from this thread. Thanks in advance!
It’s Middle East/India @62.5k, where else would it be? Look at a map... It’s WEST of India. Apparently bloggers don’t read maps, or they’re doing the “HUCA and find the weak link” trick the way they used to do with US to get cheaper awards. I don’t doubt that bloggers would argue that LGW is in Asia if they could get away with it...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.