Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by jaycoh22

I had this exact same problem all week but finally managed to get BOS-HKG-BNE for March 20, all in J, for 2 people. It took almost 90 minutes and the rep had to work with her supervisor on it since she’d never done it before. The two reps prior, who couldn’t see the space, seemed more experienced.
Interesting. Was it showing two seats available on the BA site?
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Pretty interesting, as this is the first time I've personally seen it happen (though it's been reported here before, I believe). Looking at a JFK-HKG flight 2 months out. Flight is F5J9, and Cathay just released an additional award seat in F, despite the cabin not being F6 and despite it being 2 months out.
The mystery continues. The same flight is still F5, but the award seat is no longer available. Must have been released by mistake? It was showing up on QF/JL/BA so I doubt it was phantom and I bet it would have ticketed.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, Southwest A-List, United MileagePlus Gold, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by steveholt
Interesting. Was it showing two seats available on the BA site?
Showing 5 on BOS-HKG and 2 on HKG-BNE at the time I booked them. Was that way for 3 days - was told no availability on the first two call attempts.
steveholt likes this.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Advice Needed

Took me three days to finish reading this very informative thread! Now I have some very interesting questions:

We need two J or F tickets DPS -HKG (stopover) - YYZ next spring. DPS- HKG (J or PE is good) date is fixed, HKG-YYZ relativey flexible.

Currently BA tool shows 2 J for DPS-HKG on the fixed date and 6 J for HKG-YYZ for most ideal dates. But this is 340+ days out.

Ideally, I will call AS as soon as the 330-day window opens- when is that exactly? For example, if my ideal travel date or earliest travel date for DPS-HKG is April 15, 2019, and HKG-YYZ is April 18, do I call on May 10, 2018?? A bit confused since flights originate in Asia and I have two flight segments. And I’m generally bad with math.

IF and when I’m successful with grabbing the two Js DPS-HKG at 330 day window, but HKG-YYZ not available yet, I assume I can call back to add HKG-YYZ leg? Will I have to pay ANOTHER phone booking fee or partner award fee just to add the second leg??

Next, if and when I have successfully got 2Js thru DPS-HKG-YYZ, can I call AS to change HKG-YYZ leg to HKG- US (JFK or ORD) later in F if F opens up? (We can use Avios to get US- YYZ on AA.) Will I have to pay another booking fee (before 60 days)? My current issue is that I only have 120K AS, and will get another 20K in two months. So cannot book F at 330 day window but can do 2 Js. Actually I wont even have enough miles to redeem the F seats without cancelling the J seats. Can the AS agent hold the F seats, cancel my J seats, then redeem the miles for F in one sitting?

To complicate matters- we will be ok with flying Hainan in J via China if CX fails for J and F. We will be happy to fly JL too in J or F and use Avios for positioning/ connecting. But right now the Alaska search tool does not show any availability in Hainan or JAL on the dates we want, searching leg by leg. Sigh.

Thanks!!
Old May 4, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
IF and when I’m successful with grabbing the two Js DPS-HKG at 330 day window, but HKG-YYZ not available yet, I assume I can call back to add HKG-YYZ leg? Will I have to pay ANOTHER phone booking fee or partner award fee just to add the second leg??
Yes, that's how I made my first CX award reservation. The only new charges when you call to add the next segment will be the adjusted taxes and airport fees.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:36 am

Was able to pick up NRT-HKG-LAX in J with a layover in HKG starting June 1 and flying back June 5th on CX880. Then added LAX-SEA in first.

Initial breakdown of costs then add $5.60 for LAX-SEA. Wasn't too concerned on cost vs getting a seat in J a month out. Was fairly easy, first rep found the seat, took a few tries to book, and gave me confirmation code. For some reason the reservation wasn't associated to my account, so when I called for LAX-SEA the next rep said she added it but I did not see it there afterwards, so I manually added it and now it's there.

Base Fare and Surcharges $0.00
Taxes and Other Fees $84.31
Ticketing Fee (nonrefundable) $15.00
Partner Award Booking Fee (nonrefundable) $12.50
Per person total $111.81
Old May 4, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
CX is currently releasing less intra Asia seats to AS, I booked YYZ-HKG, and wanted to add an intra asia segment to ICN, HND/NRT, TPE during end of August, or early September. However, they could not find any availability within a week. Even BA shows at least 5 seats in Y and J. Something is not right.
Old May 4, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by Jma12
CX is currently releasing less intra Asia seats to AS, I booked YYZ-HKG, and wanted to add an intra asia segment to ICN, HND/NRT, TPE during end of August, or early September. However, they could not find any availability within a week. Even BA shows at least 5 seats in Y and J. Something is not right.
When did you book YYZ-HKG? We are less concerned about Intra Asia leg since worst case scenario we will burn avios for CX.
Old May 4, 2018, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
It could just be bad agent looking at O/D search for the add on instead of just HKG-ICN/HND/NRT/TPE
Old May 4, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes

When did you book YYZ-HKG? We are less concerned about Intra Asia leg since worst case scenario we will burn avios for CX.
I booked June 13th on Y, hoping to have at least PY open up. I would rather add a segment for free than wasting my avios

Originally Posted by jamienbaker

FEWER. Something is not right. Your grammar.
How much fewer, you work for AS? Or are they blocking seats?

Originally Posted by CDKing
It could just be bad agent looking at O/D search for the add on instead of just HKG-ICN/HND/NRT/TPE
I ask her to search day by day within the last week of August and early September. She was able to see 1 business class to HND, but I am book in Y. There was more than 5 seats for the other flight departing around midnight from YYZ, but AS can not see any seats.
Old May 4, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
I actually think this is correct. I have been booking an unusual amount of intra-asia in J, specifically a lot from SIN-HKG, and J is never released until a week prior to AS agents.
Old May 5, 2018, 11:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I recently tried booking JFK-HKG-CAN and after several attempts of the agent not being able to book was told that HKG-CAN cannot be booked due to being a Dragonair flight (which I thought was basically the same as Cathay, only it's their name for the flights within Asia). Because time was of essence and I didn't have time to pursue it I booked JFK to HKG with the agent and the went online to book the HKG to CAN leg using a nominal amount of BA Avios. Can anyone tell me if this is the usual for AS and if not, how to get them to book Dragonair flights in the future?
Old May 5, 2018, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
I recently tried booking JFK-HKG-CAN and after several attempts of the agent not being able to book was told that HKG-CAN cannot be booked due to being a Dragonair flight (which I thought was basically the same as Cathay, only it's their name for the flights within Asia). Because time was of essence and I didn't have time to pursue it I booked JFK to HKG with the agent and the went online to book the HKG to CAN leg using a nominal amount of BA Avios. Can anyone tell me if this is the usual for AS and if not, how to get them to book Dragonair flights in the future?
Agent was right as AS miles cannot be used to book KA as agreement was between AS and CX.
Old May 5, 2018, 11:55 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yoyo
Agent was right as AS miles cannot be used to book KA as agreement was between AS and CX.
Also, Cathay Dragon isn't just their intra-Asia branding; there are plenty of Cathay Pacific flights to Asian destinations from HKG. KA is a CX subsidiary which, for some reason, isn't part of the AS/CX partnership.
Old May 6, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
AS doesn't feed Dragon flights so unless CX moves US flights to Cathay Dragon, it will never become remotely possible using AS points. If you want to use both you need to switch to AA since they are alliance partners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.