Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: Flying Blue Jeune, BAEC Blue, Eurobonus, Alaska Mileage Plan, Nice Airport Club Airport Premier Gold
Anyone know if Alaska has loaded in award space for the new CX flight from HKG to CPT ?
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by roimaaf
Anyone know if Alaska has loaded in award space for the new CX flight from HKG to CPT ?
#1 question has CX made space available. Last time I looked on BA website during the season it operates but nothing in any cabin.
roimaaf likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by hightide
Would Alaska allow a stopover on the east coast from a flight originating in the midwest (e.g. MSP) or south (e.g. MSY)?

Thinking of MSP/MSY-JFK (stopover)-HKG

I suppose the MSP-JFK route would then have to route MSP-SEA-JFK?
So, you want 5,000 miles of backtracking (that makes no particular sense other than “please load up on free flights for me”) and a stopover?

AS doesn’t even allow SEA-JFK-HKG let alone MSP-SEA-JFK-HKG. Just like it says in the wiki.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:32 pm

Thank you jamiebaker about the tip on searching Qantas for availability. Joined today and spent some time getting used to it.

I also called Alaskan and went through some of the Cathay availability dates on the BA website. As suggested it was hit and miss if Alaskan had them. The customer service rep, as previously suggested, was very helpful and searched for surrounding dates.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 30, 2018, 1:01 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

So, you want 5,000 miles of backtracking (that makes no particular sense other than “please load up on free flights for me”) and a stopover?

AS doesn’t even allow SEA-JFK-HKG let alone MSP-SEA-JFK-HKG. Just like it says in the wiki.
Thanks for the info.
Would MSP-PDX-LAX (stopover)-HKG be okay?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hightide
Thanks for the info.
Would MSP-PDX-LAX (stopover)-HKG be okay?
Hopefully, it is valid routing.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
Yes it is that simple, with a few caveats. You have to follow Alaska’s routing rules which are different from BA’s. Not sure what your route is but usually if you are going from the US to Asia, India, or Africa you’ll be fine. AS doesn’t allow some intra-Asia routes but if you start or end in the US, you’ll usually be ok. Also, BA’s site sometimes shows phantom availability. You can double check with QF or JL to confirm space. But even then, sometimes AS will see one fewer seat than what shows elsewhere. Also, make sure you search BA for each individual flight not the whole routing as BA shows a lot of phantom availability that way. So if you want BKK-LA, search BKK-HKG and HKG-LAX separately. Then call Alaska and put the itinerary together. Another tip: when booking by phone, make sure you request they waive the phone booking fee since Cathay can’t be booked online. They won’t proactively do so, you have to ask them to.
OMG, I just noted that I can ask them to waive the phone booking fee since CX can't be booked online.

I just checked at my booking,
is it booking fee($15.00 - non-refundable fee) ?

then I will ask them for my next booking back from USA to HKG

Thank you so much 🙏🏻😄

Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 66pookie99

OMG, I just noted that I can ask them to waive the phone booking fee since CX can't be booked online.

I just checked at my booking,
is it booking fee($15.00 - non-refundable fee) ?

then I will ask them for my next booking back from USA to HKG

Thank you so much 🙏🏻😄

You can ask but it officially applies regardless. The fee has been around since back when nearly all partners where phone only
Old Mar 30, 2018, 2:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CDKing
You can ask but it officially applies regardless. The fee has been around since back when nearly all partners where phone only
^

IME, it’s YMMV. Some agents charge some don’t.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by seawolf

^

IME, it’s YMMV. Some agents charge some don’t.
Don't confuse a phone booking fee with a partner award fee. The partner award fee is never waived.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 3:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Don't confuse a phone booking fee with a partner award fee. The partner award fee is never waived.
66pookie99 is referring to phone fee which is what I’m referring to.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:39 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I got charged $15 (plus $12.50) to book my CX award. I feel this is a bit low for AS to charge for CX and LA award bookings since AS does not offer functionality to book on these carriers online.

$15 whatever not worth pounding sand over.
seawolf likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I got charged $15 (plus $12.50) to book my CX award. I feel this is a bit low for AS to charge for CX and LA award bookings since AS does not offer functionality to book on these carriers online.

$15 whatever not worth pounding sand over.
As MVPG75K the $15.00 phone booking fee for CX J & F awards JNB-HKG//HKG-BOS & YVR-HKG//HKG-DPS was waived. Didn't even have to ask. The $12.50 partner booking fee was applied as expected.

James
Old Apr 1, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
As MVPG75K the $15.00 phone booking fee for CX J & F awards JNB-HKG//HKG-BOS & YVR-HKG//HKG-DPS was waived. Didn't even have to ask. The $12.50 partner booking fee was applied as expected.

James
Has anyone here actually ever had a problem of an agent trying to charge them a $15 fee despite being 75K?
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have committed sacrilege, instead of paying 35K AS for CX F JFK-YVR, I used 50K from my stockpile of BA points. (not an april fools joke)

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Has anyone here actually ever had a problem of an agent trying to charge them a $15 fee despite being 75K?
Closest was ... "there is $12.50 partner fee and $15 .... oh wait you are Gold"

Last edited by CDKing; Apr 1, 2018 at 5:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.