Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lowfareair
I upgraded a CX award from J to F yesterday (traveling months from now) with AS miles. They couldn't get CX to confirm it while I was on the phone (agent sounded like it was normal), gave me an AS confirmation code, and said I would get an email once it processed. A couple hours later, I saw the CX confirmation code and on the CX site it comes up as confirmed and with a ticket number. However; I still haven't seen the miles deducted or get the standard booking email from AS.

Is it worth giving them a call or is this something that they'll get to eventually? I just don't want CX to cancel the ticket.
Fairly certain CX site does NOT display ticket number as they use it for authentication for modifying personal details on the record. Kinda defeats the purpose if they ask for ticket number for authentication but at the same time, display that ticket number.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by seawolf
Fairly certain CX site does NOT display ticket number as they use it for authentication for modifying personal details on the record. Kinda defeats the purpose if they ask for ticket number for authentication but at the same time, display that ticket number.
You can't use non-CX ticket numbers on the CX website. It doesn't take anything other than 160 ticket numbers (you CAN use CX record locators though). And CX shouldn't be modifying 027 (AS) tickets anyway until they have control of the ticket day of flight.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You can't use non-CX ticket numbers on the CX website. It doesn't take anything other than 160 ticket numbers (you CAN use CX record locators though). And CX shouldn't be modifying 027 (AS) tickets anyway until they have control of the ticket day of flight.
Not trying to modify the itinerary.

My question is whether ticket# is displayed on CX website which I don't think it does because the ticket# is used to authenticate to modify personal details such as travel document/KTN which CX website does allow even for AA/AS/BA booked itineraries (works fine with 001, 027, 125 ticket numbers; just replace the pre-populated 160 prefix).

The initial login screen require the CX PNR but the subsequent screen to modify personal details requires ticket# to access and it accepts OAL ticket number.

EDITED: The initial login screen for CX MMB accepts BA-issued ticket# in lieu of PNR (probably because BA also uses Amadeus).

Last edited by seawolf; Mar 12, 2018 at 5:54 pm Reason: Added BA ticket are accepted on CX website.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by PeaceandPost
can anyone chime in with experience on CX seats being released back into inventory when cancelled? Wife and I are currently booked on a CX flight HKG-LAX in May (her in F and me in J) and there is a chance she won't be able to travel. I was considering cancelling them and trying to book myself into F before we're within the 60 day cancellation window, but don't want to do so if there's a high risk the seats won't go back into inventory right away.

Thanks
I am not sure if there is a standard practice, but in my experience when I’ve cancelled my F tickets, they are usually back out there within a day or two. I only book F CX awards so only going off of that cabin.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:53 pm

I wanted to add a data point. I was able to book an award on CX using a Mileage Plan award from CMB to IAD on CX in November. The awards to/from Sri Lanka price out as awards to India/Middle East and not to Asia. Still 67,500 miles one way in business for a flight half way around the world is very reasonable, and since the CX IAD flight does not offer first, I was fine with business class. Oh, and here's the interesting them BA.com showed one seat left in business, and I was able to book that seat. This is totally opposite my experience trying to use my Mileage Plan miles for an award to Singapore for last August. Sometimes, BA showed 5 seats available and I couldn't book an award. One hint, be sure to be transferred to the international partner desk, as the regular agents can't book awards. The other thing is be patient, it took over 45 minutes from start to finish as the agent I was working with had never booked a Cathay award and had to put me on hold multiple times as she asked for assistance from a supervisor. One final note, thanks to the forum I knew to ask to have the phone booking fee waived upon request.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Booked and confirmed AS/CX F award on 3/10 for travel January 19. Went to look at itin online and it did not appear at all. After conversation with AS rep, there is now a destination and locator # in "My Trips," but no data, just an error message saying the trip cannot be displayed online. This is a new one on me...and I say that having booked CX awards pretty much every year for at least a decade. They have always shown up with full itin details. This doesn't make any sense. Anyone with insights or information?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by mczlaw
Booked and confirmed AS/CX F award on 3/10 for travel January 19. Went to look at itin online and it did not appear at all. After conversation with AS rep, there is now a destination and locator # in "My Trips," but no data, just an error message saying the trip cannot be displayed online. This is a new one on me...and I say that having booked CX awards pretty much every year for at least a decade. They have always shown up with full itin details. This doesn't make any sense. Anyone with insights or information?
Ask AS over the phone for an eticket number and the CX record locator? If they can't give those to you I'd guess there's a problem. Then plug in the CX record locator on cathaypacific.com and check things out?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Did they forget to charge the $12.50 partner award booking fee?
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
Did they forget to charge the $12.50 partner award booking fee?
Definitely not that
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:10 pm

Whatever the problem may be, make sure it is taken care of and that it’s showing up fine on both carriers sides. I had a CX award this morning in BKK and when I got to the ticket counter to check in, the agent said Alaska had cancelled my “bonus ticket” booking. I almost passed out, and I couldn’t believe it. He made a phone call to a supervisor and in the meantime I called MVP desk. As I was on hold he got a call back from his supervisor and said “everything is all good now, reservation was changed and not synced properly by Alaska.” So the last AS agent to do my CX ticket left some loose ends and did not fully confirm the ticket. Just make sure both the ticket is confirmed and “synced” properly in both airlines’ computers.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by dguruswamy
I wanted to add a data point. I was able to book an award on CX using a Mileage Plan award from CMB to IAD on CX in November. The awards to/from Sri Lanka price out as awards to India/Middle East and not to Asia. Still 67,500 miles one way in business for a flight half way around the world is very reasonable, and since the CX IAD flight does not offer first, I was fine with business class. Oh, and here's the interesting them BA.com showed one seat left in business, and I was able to book that seat. This is totally opposite my experience trying to use my Mileage Plan miles for an award to Singapore for last August. Sometimes, BA showed 5 seats available and I couldn't book an award. One hint, be sure to be transferred to the international partner desk, as the regular agents can't book awards. The other thing is be patient, it took over 45 minutes from start to finish as the agent I was working with had never booked a Cathay award and had to put me on hold multiple times as she asked for assistance from a supervisor. One final note, thanks to the forum I knew to ask to have the phone booking fee waived upon request.
I use to think this too and that the international desk was always the smartest. Not anymore. Now that the merger is underway, you’ll often many times get new VX agents who haven’t a clue what they’re doing. You mentioned you worked with someone and it was their first CX booking and it took 45 minutes? Definitely a new hire or an integrated VX agent. I’ve had veteran AS agents book CX awards in under 5 minutes. I always ask if they have a direct number I can just call them always exclusively at since they’re so good. I wish...

The best way to book cathay awards now is by calling the MVP line because you’ll get connected to someone who is a veteran Alaska agent who knows what they’re doing. And for whatever reason, now most MVP agents who are veterans can do the cathay awards for you. If you happen to get an agent who cannot (rare now I am finding) they just transfer you to the partner desk and usually it’s a transfer to someone who knows what they’re doing. When you directly call the partner desk these days first, it’s playing lotto.

PS. The earmarks of a new agent who doesn’t really know what they are doing is if the agent doesn’t say their name, where they are, ask who they’re speaking to, and if they don’t immediately thank you for being a Gold or 75k. (Usually in that order too)

Last edited by NWplatinum; Mar 15, 2018 at 1:26 pm
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
The best way to book cathay awards now is by calling the MVP line because you’ll get connected to someone who is a veteran Alaska agent who knows what they’re doing.
YMMV. Definitely not true in my experience lately. I've been 75K since it began, and it makes no difference if I call the partner number or the 75K number. The past 8-10 times I've called on Cathay awards, I've gotten a rookie. Whether I ask for the international change desk, or say I need a Cathay award, the newbie stubbornly tries to figure it out before ultimately transferring the call. It's a complete waste of time.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:43 pm

Is there a known issue with BOS? Or just the agent? She said they couldn't book flights from BOS? Cathay definitely flies from Boston, don't know what the deal is.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Is there a known issue with BOS? Or just the agent? She said they couldn't book flights from BOS? Cathay definitely flies from Boston, don't know what the deal is.
Are you starting in Boston or is this one of the west coast backtracking? Maybe looking at the wrong Time since its one of those late night early morning where they need to specify the time in their search to get it to come up.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
Are you starting in Boston or is this one of the west coast backtracking? Maybe looking at the wrong Time since its one of those late night early morning where they need to specify the time in their search to get it to come up.
No, BOS to HKG. Anyway, booked using AA miles.
Agent said Alaska cannot ticket from BOS?

BOS is a good choice to fly from, because not as many know about it versus JFK/ORD

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.