Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Ha, I missed the CX CPT announcement. Good for them ^ When I flew CX to JNB years ago, I had to do an awkward shuffle to get to my SA flight to CPT [Granted it was my first A340 flight] but a nonstop is nice ^
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
Ha, I missed the CX CPT announcement. Good for them ^ When I flew CX to JNB years ago, I had to do an awkward shuffle to get to my SA flight to CPT [Granted it was my first A340 flight] but a nonstop is nice ^
I wish I had grabbed the F flight HKG-JNB back then but F was dropped earlier than expected so i cancelled that trip instead of taking the downgrade. It will be nice to avoid JNB when i finally get to Africa. Too bad its a short seasonal flight. I'm going to try to go in November instead of my usual trip to China.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 2:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CDKing
I wish I had grabbed the F flight HKG-JNB back then but F was dropped earlier than expected so i cancelled that trip instead of taking the downgrade. It will be nice to avoid JNB when i finally get to Africa. Too bad its a short seasonal flight. I'm going to try to go in November instead of my usual trip to China.
Well with CX, one can do both!

HKG is a nice stopover to break the trip up. Those 12-15 hour flights back to back do get long, even in F.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K

HKG is a nice stopover to break the trip up. Those 12-15 hour flights back to back do get long, even in F.
Oh I know, for May i'm doing CX F/J BOS-HKG (2 nights) HKG-DXB (1 night) then booking AA award (hopefully) on EY F AUH-SYD
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
I know the availability doesn't align for the longhauls many times, especially for first class on the OneWorld tools. But usually on inter-Asia flights the availability is usually correct and the AS agents can see it. For some reason the BA and QF tools are showing plenty of space in J from SIN-HKG on the 01:15 flight, 6:50 flight, and 14:00 departure that stops in BKK. The AS agents don't see any J seats on the 14:00 departure, and I don't know why. Even though it has plenty of award seats. I wonder if it is because it's a direct flight with a stop over in BKK? I'm going to call and try them to price it out as SIN-BKK-HKG and see if they see anything.

UPDATE: Had them try to price it out as SIN-BKK-HKG, but said no seats were available BKK-HKG... weird. Also I did it myself where I typed it in on the British tool where the SIN-BKK has J, but the BKK-HKG does not have J. So I guess the agents are seeing the space correctly.

This will be interesting if a later flight does opens up from SIN-HKG that I want after the 72hr mark, and if they break the new rules for a 75Ker. Hopefully it opens before the 72hr mark.

Last edited by Edgerfly; Feb 26, 2018 at 12:37 am
Old Feb 26, 2018, 12:33 am
Suspended

LOL... I could stay on CX and EK F forever. When I do the HKG-JFK run in F, I don't want to get off the plane when we land. Especially if it's an empty cabin you pretty much have to yourself, and the staff takes excellent care of you.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: AS 75K Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, National EE
Availability matched what Cathay's site showed. I was able to book Business on SUB-HKG-SFO. HKG-SFO on A350 50,000 AS miles one-way plus $88.31 in fees (Taxes and Other Fees: $60.81, Ticketing Fee: $15.00, Partner Award Booking Fee: $12.50).

The agent was going too fast and it takes a few minutes to confirm. It showed an error on her screen, but it finally responded with confirmed after waiting a bit. She mentioned she's never really had a successful partner award booking. Made her night.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by VAFlyerSAN
The agent was going too fast and it takes a few minutes to confirm. It showed an error on her screen, but it finally responded with confirmed after waiting a bit. She mentioned she's never really had a successful partner award booking. Made her night.
Excellent. Sounds like you taught another agent how to CX awards properly ^
Old Feb 27, 2018, 7:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by VAFlyerSAN
It showed an error on her screen, but it finally responded with confirmed after waiting a bit. She mentioned she's never really had a successful partner award booking. Made her night.
This is usually due to CX not being able to confirm the ticket on their end immediately. So it usually takes some time for the CX ticket to be issued. Sometimes up to 24-48hours. Once they grab the space, they put the ticket in que to be ticketed. Not to worry, never had a problem with it.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Edgerfly

This is usually due to CX not being able to confirm the ticket on their end immediately. So it usually takes some time for the CX ticket to be issued. Sometimes up to 24-48hours. Once they grab the space, they put the ticket in que to be ticketed. Not to worry, never had a problem with it.
We flew JNB-HKG/3/HKG-BOS in the last two weeks. I booked two J seats in October and it was ticketed within minutes when I provided the flight details to AS. After booking there remained J space availability until day of departure on both segments. Matched exactly with Qantas Tool. At T-11 days an F seat opened up for HKG-BOS. I called AS from South Africa and had my ticket upgraded to F in about 8 minutes. Total cost, additional 7,500 miles and a difference in tax of $3.85. I was able to select my seat immediately. After my upgrade Expert Flyer showed F3 A3 which never changed and no further awards were released while F was available on the same flight 4 days before and 3 days after. We departed with three empty F seats. The flight had a light load so I guess revenue management couldn't justify serving extra Caviar and Krug. It was my first CX flight and I really enjoyed it. Food was good and service was impeccable. We departed from Gate 1 in HKG so we went to the Wing First Class Lounge. Even though my Partner was in business I was able to bring him in as CX allows a guest when traveling First. Lounge was nice, not spectacular. Surprised they served Smirnoff Vodka in the F lounge and F onboard. That was a disappointment. Much prefer EK lounges in SFO and LAX while their Business and First lounges in DXB are incredible.

James
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Sometimes it’s in minutes, sometimes it can be longer. YMMV
Old Feb 27, 2018, 4:55 pm

Just ticketed JFK-HKG-MEL. Got the cathay record locater but it's not going through on Cathay site, so it can take up to 24/48 hours for that to work?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by downtheback.
Just ticketed JFK-HKG-MEL. Got the cathay record locater but it's not going through on Cathay site, so it can take up to 24/48 hours for that to work?
It will show up instantaneously before you even hang up with the AS agent.. If it does not show up, check Qatar manage booking or checkmytrip app. If it does not show up, then you should call back.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
It will show up instantaneously before you even hang up with the AS agent.. If it does not show up, check Qatar manage booking or checkmytrip app. If it does not show up, then you should call back.
Got it now. Thanks for the help.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by downtheback.
until you get an email from Alaska airlines with the confirmation number, the ticket has not been ticketed. As someone said, it will still show up but it has not been ticketed yet and you may not be able to get seats on Cathay yet.

As I said it CAN take up to 24-48 hours, but usually it doesn’t take more than an hour
downtheback. likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.