Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Yes. Without MVPG+ status you may be charged a $125 change fee.

Similarly, I have no MVP status but a 70K First Class Award NRT-HKG-JFK. If first availability opens up on the HND to HKG flight (if this happened it would likely be within a few days of travel) will AS make the change or will I have to pay fee even though it is Tokyo it is Haneda not Narita?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:39 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
Similarly, I have no MVP status but a 70K First Class Award NRT-HKG-JFK. If first availability opens up on the HND to HKG flight (if this happened it would likely be within a few days of travel) will AS make the change or will I have to pay fee even though it is Tokyo it is Haneda not Narita?
You will be assessed a fee as they’ll have to re-issue the ticket. Sorry. I know how much easier it is to fly out of HND.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:46 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Edgerfly

You will be assessed a fee as they’ll have to re-issue the ticket. Sorry. I know how much easier it is to fly out of HND.
Thanks for the heads up, that is too bad that AS dont allow for a free switch if first class award availability opens up since we are already paying the first class mileage. Totally agree, HND is so much easier (and nicer) than flying out of NRT.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K
Originally Posted by jamienbaker

Book a lengthy layover in each direction. HKG lounges are worth making time for. If able, book 2A, but that usually requires calling in. Best seat on the plane.
Do you call Cathay direct or go through Partners Desk?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K

Originally Posted by BOStonTravels
Thanks for the heads up, that is too bad that AS dont allow for a free switch if first class award availability opens up since we are already paying the first class mileage. Totally agree, HND is so much easier (and nicer) than flying out of NRT.
AS does not charge if its same airport and you are already on an F award, it would be the airport change that causes the fee. Also to be aware, theres been a few posts recently of reservations getting screwed up on last minute changes.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Brianblanco

Do you call Cathay direct or go through Partners Desk?
To have a long layover? Alaska

To select seats? Cathay.
Brianblanco likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CDKing
Also to be aware, theres been a few posts recently of reservations getting screwed up on last minute changes.
I did not see anything about last minute changes and reservations getting messed up. Is it exclusive to cathay or all awards? Also what did happen?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K

I did not see anything about last minute changes and reservations getting messed up. Is it exclusive to cathay or all awards? Also what did happen?
It could just be reissuing in general but here's a couple CX related

Flawed partner award reticketing & how to help agents avoid them

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1885496-help-award-seats-availability.html
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Book a lengthy layover in each direction. HKG lounges are worth making time for. If able, book 2A, but that usually requires calling in. Best seat on the plane.
Thanks, will try...when I went online to choose my seats, most were blocked already...guess I get no love without oneworld status! Still, I will take my Alaska 75k, even though I live in Asia.
I booked connections that give me about 3 hours in HKG, each way...I've been to most of the CX lounges in HKG - I imagine they are awesome when not overflowing with people, but I've not had such luck thus far the half a dozen times I've flown through there. Same with the new AA Flagship at LAX - a few days ago that place was uncomfortably full (it was 10:30pm, ahead of most of the trans-Pac flights).
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ralph4878
Thanks, will try...when I went online to choose my seats, most were blocked already...guess I get no love without oneworld status! Still, I will take my Alaska 75k, even though I live in Asia.
I booked connections that give me about 3 hours in HKG, each way...I've been to most of the CX lounges in HKG - I imagine they are awesome when not overflowing with people, but I've not had such luck thus far the half a dozen times I've flown through there. Same with the new AA Flagship at LAX - a few days ago that place was uncomfortably full (it was 10:30pm, ahead of most of the trans-Pac flights).
Just got out of Pier F (coming home on AA 192 though). I try not to come to airports early, but for CX lounges I will make an exception. Pier F was mellow and not overcrowded, I was the only one in the day suites while I chilled for my flight. The lamb shank was pretty good.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 2:36 pm

Quick one -

Have 2 seats, 1 J and 1 F, for JFK to HKG in May, and of course want to upgrade one when availability opens up (hopefully) closer to the date of departure. I thought at some point here I saw the exact dates for starting to get the close in 1st availability, but now can't find it. Is it simply start searching 14 days before and just keep at it?

Also, someone mentioned a few pages back that BA can't search 7 days in? I wasn't aware of this, but if that's true, then what? Qantas or just call Alaska each day and have them search?

Thanks guys!
Old Jan 7, 2018, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by yurch10
Quick one -

Have 2 seats, 1 J and 1 F, for JFK to HKG in May, and of course want to upgrade one when availability opens up (hopefully) closer to the date of departure. I thought at some point here I saw the exact dates for starting to get the close in 1st availability, but now can't find it. Is it simply start searching 14 days before and just keep at it?

Also, someone mentioned a few pages back that BA can't search 7 days in? I wasn't aware of this, but if that's true, then what? Qantas or just call Alaska each day and have them search?

Thanks guys!
It’s not formulaic. If flight is F5 a seat may be released at T-14. If F2 might be day before or even day of. You should be monitoring revenue inventory as part of your effort.

BA useless at T-6. QF or call AS.
yurch10 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:34 pm

It’s not formulaic. If flight is F5 a seat may be released at T-14. If F2 might be day before or even day of. You should be monitoring revenue inventory as part of your effort.

BA useless at T-6. QF or call AS.
Yeah, I've been making dummy bookings on Google Flights and Cathay's website as well, and it still looks like 5 seats are left (think that's an accurate way of doing it?). Guess I'll keep checking BA and Qantas until a week out, then switch to Qantas and calling in.

Thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2018, 6:48 pm

Yeah, I've been making dummy bookings on Google Flights and Cathay's website as well, and it still looks like 5 seats are left (think that's an accurate way of doing it?). Guess I'll keep checking BA and Qantas until a week out, then switch to Qantas and calling in.

Thanks!
easier to get expertflyer. You can get an email each time a seat is sold (or refunded).
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Thanks!
Also note, once BA shows space, there tends to be a 12-24 hour delay until AS sees it as well (once it's released).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.