Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
I’m 75k so I’ve never had to deal with the phone ticketing fee. But I don’t see how they can justify charging you a fee for something you have to call in to do.

Right off the bat I’d make sure no ticketing fee, and bring it to the highest level of supervisors if the agent insisted on charging you.
One can try but even a decade ago when all partners required a phone call the same charge applied. I cant book a AS ticket with a UA leg online, should they waive the phone fee for that too since it cant be done on the AS site?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Originally Posted by CDKing
One can try but even a decade ago when all partners required a phone call the same charge applied. I cant book a AS ticket with a UA leg online, should they waive the phone fee for that too since it cant be done on the AS site?
I don’t think the example is very fair.

One is you’re trying to redeem something you’ve worked hard for.

The other is a specific preference you want. So yes, if you WANT something such as adding a UA segment, you should have to pay a phone fee.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:39 am

Hi Edgerfly -

You have a choice to not use CX and book other carriers online if you do not want to pay the fee. It is clearly spelled out in the T&C. But then you have to deal with Fuel surcharges, YQ and other fees.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi Edgerfly -

You have a choice to not use CX and book other carriers online if you do not want to pay the fee. It is clearly spelled out in the T&C. But then you have to deal with Fuel surcharges, YQ and other fees.
Is the phone fee for Cathay directly spelled out in the T&C’s? I thought it was a gray area?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:52 am

Right off the bat I’d make sure no ticketing fee, and bring it to the highest level of supervisors if the agent insisted on charging you.
Over $15? That won't win you a whole lot of cooperation nor extra effort in the search for seats. Great advice - tripping over dollars to pick up pennies.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flytoeat
Over $15? That won't win you a whole lot of cooperation nor extra effort in the search for seats. Great advice - tripping over dollars to pick up pennies.
First off it wouldn’t hurt the search effort “for seats” because it would come up after the seats had been found, and the agent was taking payment. Everyone has the right to do what they want, as they see fit.

It’s a matter of principle for me. I shouldn’t be penalized after I worked very hard to accumulate the amount of miles to redeem this award. In many cases it is people who worked extremely hard to earn these miles because they’re not MVP or MVPG since they’re not getting the fee waived. So imho, my hard work shouldn’t be penalized. Everyone has their own opinion.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
First off it wouldn’t hurt the search effort “for seats” because it would come up after the seats had been found, and the agent was taking payment. Everyone has the right to do what they want, as they see fit.
Two hours earlier...
🤔
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jinglish
Two hours earlier...🤔
Figure of speech. I apologize if anyone interpreted me advocating saying “hi I wanna book a cathay ticket but before I do, I’m not paying a phone fee call your supervisor.” What I meant was go into the call in your mind saying you’re not gonna pay the phone fee.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:35 am

Hi Edgerfly -

They specifically state there is a call-in ticketing fee. And they also specifically state you have to call in for CX (and LAN) tickets. Seems pretty clear to me. I understand you don't like it (who does?), but you know going in.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi Edgerfly -

They specifically state there is a call-in ticketing fee. And they also specifically state you have to call in for CX (and LAN) tickets. Seems pretty clear to me. I understand you don't like it (who does?), but you know going in.
Actually, what you just wrote is open to some interpretation. British Airways has the same policy. But when we want to book AS metal with BA miles, BA waives their phone fee because it’s not available on their website.

Also I actually am not upset about it, I’m 75k and it doesn’t affect me. I just don’t think a ticketing fee is fair or should apply for an award someone worked hard for and can only book one way over the phone. Phone fees are on the books for one reason: to push passengers to do as much as possible for their needs on the website.

Anyway, I think we’ve gone down along this topic long enough so this is the last I’ll be commenting on this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:04 pm

Is AS playing games again? Looking at 1F HKG-JFK, not available. However, I see it on CX (could be extra avail), QF (could be phantom), and then AA on the phone. It however doesn't show on BA, and AS agent can't see it either. What should I trust?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:40 pm

What about JL?
When I booked mine, the seat showed up available on QF and JL.

Originally Posted by yerffej201
Is AS playing games again? Looking at 1F HKG-JFK, not available. However, I see it on CX (could be extra avail), QF (could be phantom), and then AA on the phone. It however doesn't show on BA, and AS agent can't see it either. What should I trust?
Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by ralph4878
Just booked BKK-HKG-SFO in J for mid-October and a return a week later in F...120,000 miles for a ticket that priced out at $14,000 is insane (as is charging $14,000 for a ticket!). Will be my first F trip with CX, very much looking forward to seeing what all of the fuss is about . Spoke with an agent in Phoenix - told her exactly which flights I wanted and she was able to grab them without issue. Used BA's site to see availability...plenty J space still left on the HKG-SFO leg; none for SFO-HKG but several F seats that last week of October.
Book a lengthy layover in each direction. HKG lounges are worth making time for. If able, book 2A, but that usually requires calling in. Best seat on the plane.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:10 am
Suspended

Actually, 2K I like better. That way if the middle seats are open, the FA’s will let you use them too. Whereas with 2A the middle seats are blocked off with that wall.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 6:21 am

Actually, 2K I like better. That way if the middle seats are open, the FA’s will let you use them too. Whereas with 2A the middle seats are blocked off with that wall.
That’s a calculated risk. I’ve flown full, but have also enjoyed the right side and having the extra bed. Maybe the best strategy is to monitor the load. I, for one, would NOT be happy on the right side in a full cabin.

My preference for 2A over 1A is simple: foot traffic. In 1A, you’ll be passed - twice - anytime 2A rings and asks for something. Trust me, when I’m in 2A I’m sure 1A gets annoyed as I keep the FAs quite busy 😉

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.