Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:41 pm

Just booked a ICN to LAX flight and when I asked to add a LAX to SEA segment to the itinerary, the agent said I had to add in another 20k miles!
Is this correct?
Shouldnt the ICN to SEA flight via HKG be all one itinerary and one price of 70k for F?

Thanks
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Just booked a ICN to LAX flight and when I asked to add a LAX to SEA segment to the itinerary, the agent said I had to add in another 20k miles!
Is this correct?
Shouldnt the ICN to SEA flight via HKG be all one itinerary and one price of 70k for F?

Thanks
If there is no saver space on that flight, then yes you do need to pay another 20k. Find another SEA-LAX Flight with saver space in the cabin you want, the flights go every hour.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:19 pm

Thank you!
Ill call in again and ask.

Maybe the agent didnt know it well.
At least she managed to get the CX flight booked right away.

Originally Posted by Edgerfly

If there is no saver space on that flight, then yes you do need to pay another 20k. Find another SEA-LAX Flight with saver space in the cabin you want, the flights go every hour.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Thank you!
Ill call in again and ask.

Maybe the agent didnt know it well.
At least she managed to get the CX flight booked right away.
Check AS site to be sure there is a 12.5K or cheaper award for LAX-SEA (and that is not virgin if prior to 4/25)

*edit* Sorry i missed that it was premium cabin. Make sure 25K is available if booking premium cabin AS metal flight. 12.5K or less to book the AS leg in coach.

Last edited by CDKing; Jan 3, 2018 at 8:32 pm Reason: adding info
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:27 pm

Is this correct?

Thanks
Yes, it should price at 70K, provided there is “A” (saver first) or “W” (saver coach) available. What does it show when you check award space for SEA-LAX on the desired date? Is this for a close-in reservation? If it really isn’t available, make sure you grab an available segment LAX-XXX for future use, utilizing the allowable stopover.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CDKing
Check AS site to be sure there is a 12.5K or cheaper award for LAX-SEA (and that is not virgin if prior to 4/25)
I didn’t see if he’s booking a premium award or not, but yes the flights with 12.5 or lower in coach, and 25k for first are saver space.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Edgerfly

I didn’t see if he’s booking a premium award or not, but yes the flights with 12.5 or lower in coach, and 25k for first are saver space.
I missed the 70K mentioned at the end,. I saw the 20K and assumed it was coach.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:39 pm

ya shows 25k for almost all flights from LAX to SEA for Jun 1.
Dont know why that agent didnt let me add on the LAX to SEA segment.
I'll call them again and ask.
Thanks!

So surprised to find CX F readily available.
Was going to originally book JL but the F space disappeared when I was paying for it...

Originally Posted by flytoeat

Yes, it should price at 70K, provided there is “A” (saver first) or “W” (saver coach) available. What does it show when you check award space for SEA-LAX on the desired date? Is this for a close-in reservation? If it really isn’t available, make sure you grab an available segment LAX-XXX for future use, utilizing the allowable stopover.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:53 pm

Thank u all!
AS just added the LAX to SEA segment to the trip.
Edgerfly likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:02 am

Originally Posted by CkCrunch
Another data point:

BA/JL both showing 4 seats for LGW-HKG in J and 1 seat for LHR-HKG in F for a variety of dates in April. Just got off the phone with 2 different agents at Alaska who saw zero availability...
This has been observed before. You are possibly running into point-of-sale issue. CX have made these available for “purchase” only in the UK not other markets. BA naturally use the UK as their POS, JL actually vary the POS based on your address (I assume you registered as a UK person with JL) so search results can vary with JL based on that. AS and AA use the USA as POS location, even if you are based in the UK, if CX is not making certain inventory available for “purchase” in the USA there is nothing to be done. This theory can be tested if you are able to register for two JL accounts, one with a UK address, the other with a USA address and then compare search results.

DAK.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:52 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
I'm ticketed for departure on 8th of March at 2ish PM (departure city is on GMT+7 timezone).

Is the deadline to modify my itinerary without the $125 fee 7th of January 2PM (GMT+7) or 7th of January 2PM (GMT-8)?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Just booked BKK-HKG-SFO in J for mid-October and a return a week later in F...120,000 miles for a ticket that priced out at $14,000 is insane (as is charging $14,000 for a ticket!). Will be my first F trip with CX, very much looking forward to seeing what all of the fuss is about . Spoke with an agent in Phoenix - told her exactly which flights I wanted and she was able to grab them without issue. Used BA's site to see availability...plenty J space still left on the HKG-SFO leg; none for SFO-HKG but several F seats that last week of October.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:56 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by seawolf
Thanks. I called back. Agent initially agreed that ticketing fee should not be charged but when I ask a refund, she placed me on hold and when she came back, quickly backtracked that the $15 fee was applicable.

Will HUACA.
Just booked another CX award. The phone ticketing fee was not charged this time. So it appears the fee is YMMV.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:01 am
Suspended

I’m 75k so I’ve never had to deal with the phone ticketing fee. But I don’t see how they can justify charging you a fee for something you have to call in to do.

In my mind I’d go into the call telling myself that im not paying a ticketing fee, and when payment comes up if the agent still insists on a fee I’d escalate to a supervisor.

Last edited by Edgerfly; Jan 5, 2018 at 10:36 am
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
7 months. Thus, my surprise at the good results.
for the record I’ve actually found the F availability to be much better the earlier you book.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.