Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:12 pm

Connecting to JFK

I have a flight from JFK to HKG. Has anyone ever connected domestic flights to JFK before this flight? Which origin cities did you use? Thanks.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:23 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by maal99
I have a flight from JFK to HKG. Has anyone ever connected domestic flights to JFK before this flight? Which origin cities did you use? Thanks.
  • AS doesn't allow combining multiple partners on awards, so you'd need to find an AS flight.
  • The only airports AS serves from JFK are PDX and SEA.
  • AS's not-publicly-posted award routing rules prohibit transcontinental backtracking on a single award; i.e., they don't let you fly SEA-JFK-HKG when you could just as easily redeem SEA-LAX-HKG.

You'd have to make it a separate award unless somehow DAL-LGA is allowed (which I find doubtful) and they actually have JFK/EWR/LGA established as coterminals in their systems.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:47 am

CX have moved into Terminal 8 at JFK (from 7) making connections from domestic AA flights a whole lot easier. For any other airline you will be changing terminals (no fun at JFK). As you will be on separate tickets you have no recourse if you misconnect so I strongly recommend lots and lots of buffer time and a backup plan (e.g. if a flight cancels, can you still make the connection if you get on the next flight, can you still make it if forced to take a flight into LGA, etc.). And the risks increase if Dec-Feb (winter/snow months).

Bottom line, if you need to make a connection to get to HKG from the USA, JFK is probably not the best place to do it.

DAK
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:50 am

OK. My flight is actually earlier than I remembered. I'll have to fly in the day before. Does Alaska allow you to fly from the West Coast on their metal to NY and then back west on CX?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:21 am

OK. My flight is actually earlier than I remembered. I'll have to fly in the day before. Does Alaska allow you to fly from the West Coast on their metal to NY and then back west on CX?
Originally Posted by jinglish
AS's not-publicly-posted award routing rules prohibit transcontinental backtracking on a single award; i.e., they don't let you fly SEA-JFK-HKG when you could just as easily redeem SEA-LAX-HKG.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Alaska MVP
Hi,

I am looking for 2 business one way CX flight from BOM/DEL to SFO via HKG for Nov 29 (+-1 day), but I do not see any availability in BA or Qantas website. I have Alaska and AA miles that's why I wanted to use them on CX.

Is it too late now to look for availability in CX or I should just keep checking till I find something?

I looked at BOM/DEL to LAX/JFK/BOS as well but that was also not available. (My assumption is that I will have to pay extra for the domestic leg to SFO)
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:20 pm

I booked a CX award using AS miles. It ticketed and I got the record locator for CX. The issue is I can't get the e-Ticket when I use the CX record locator on the CX website.

There isn't any option to have it sent to be via email under Manage Booking.
Anyone know of some way to get the e-Ticket emailed to me? I need it for specific travel documents.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by s12358
I booked a CX award using AS miles. It ticketed and I got the record locator for CX. The issue is I can't get the e-Ticket when I use the CX record locator on the CX website.

There isn't any option to have it sent to be via email under Manage Booking.
Anyone know of some way to get the e-Ticket emailed to me? I need it for specific travel documents.
Your AS receipt has a ticket number. Use that.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K
Originally Posted by sur_explorer
Hi,

I am looking for 2 business one way CX flight from BOM/DEL to SFO via HKG for Nov 29 (+-1 day), but I do not see any availability in BA or Qantas website. I have Alaska and AA miles that's why I wanted to use them on CX.

Is it too late now to look for availability in CX or I should just keep checking till I find something?

I looked at BOM/DEL to LAX/JFK/BOS as well but that was also not available. (My assumption is that I will have to pay extra for the domestic leg to SFO)
I'd call EVERY day and check but best chances are inside of a week/10 days. Also, I don't know if they'll let you, but if they do book your BOM/DEL HKG segment now and add on transpacific later. For transpacific you should be checking HKG to both LAX and SFO because you can always add LAXSFO for no additional miles assuming there's award availability.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Brianblanco
For transpacific you should be checking HKG to both LAX and SFO because you can always add LAXSFO for no additional miles assuming there's award availability.
LAX-SFO is only operated by VX, not AS, QX, or OO-as-AS, so this is absolutely false.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K
LAX-SFO is only operated by VX, not AS, QX, or OO-as-AS, so this is absolutely false.

Well I guess that means just what I said it did "assuming there's award availability"
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Brianblanco
I'd call EVERY day and check but best chances are inside of a week/10 days. Also, I don't know if they'll let you, but if they do book your BOM/DEL HKG segment now and add on transpacific later. For transpacific you should be checking HKG to both LAX and SFO because you can always add LAXSFO for no additional miles assuming there's award availability.
I think I will be more at peace if I can find something sooner than wait for last 2 weeks to book

I called Alaska and asked for HKG->LAX segment and she said I will have to pay extra for LAX->SFO or may be I heard it wrong
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:38 am

So if the domestic segment is operated by Alaska, then that domestic segment should be free?
e.g. BOM->HKG->ORD->SFO in one award if ORD->SFO is operated by AS
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by sur_explorer
So if the domestic segment is operated by Alaska, then that domestic segment should be free?
e.g. BOM->HKG->ORD->SFO in one award if ORD->SFO is operated by AS
If it's an Alaska flight and there's saver coach or first space available. But that specific routing probably wouldn't be permitted given the backtracking, since you could just as easily redeem BOM-HKG-SFO.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:34 am

Thanks, I somehow missed your original post. On to Plan B!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.