Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Why is that? How long is your layover at HKG? longer than 24 hours or the system could not account correctly the total hours of layover due to the workaround that has to use the date before?

If it is the above and you MUST use the flights that only show up with the workaround, Avios would be the option - you need to actually price it out to see which is better (considering the cash outlay, the cost of miles/Avios and how easy to get the "currency", just to name a few).
The layover in Singapore would be about 4 hours, not 24 hours.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:25 am

Hi, I'm planning to book a prem econ using alaska miles from JFK to HKG with a 7 day stopover then to TOK. Am I current in thinking that will be allowed for 35k miles?

Also, what if business class of the flight opens up (including other jfk to hkg flights?), apart from the extra miles, are there any charges?

Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by wbc1991
Hi, I'm planning to book a prem econ using alaska miles from JFK to HKG with a 7 day stopover then to TOK. Am I current in thinking that will be allowed for 35k miles?

Also, what if business class of the flight opens up (including other jfk to hkg flights?), apart from the extra miles, are there any charges?

Thanks!

By TOK I assume you mean Tokyo? yes that is a valid routing for teh 35K premium economy one way award.

Change to J is $125 fee within 60 days of departure if not gold. Otherwise no extra charge (unless taxes change or new fee added between now and then)
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
By TOK I assume you mean Tokyo? yes that is a valid routing for teh 35K premium economy one way award.

Change to J is $125 fee within 60 days of departure if not gold. Otherwise no extra charge (unless taxes change or new fee added between now and then)
Thank you for confirming!
Old Jul 28, 2017, 5:46 pm

Okay this is my final post, as I've given up trying to get a CX award using AS miles. Checked on BA.com and saw five (5) business class seats available from EWR to SIN on August 8. Called Alaska and get this they saw no business class seats, but they could see premium economy seats which BA.com showed as sold out. Went ahead and took advantage of the 40% bonus for transferring MR to BA and topped up my Avios account and booked the itinerary using Avios. Sure it's 125K vs 50K, but what use is a 50k award if you can't use it?

I was checking to see how close in availability was looking on QF and this time of year, CX does not open up very many F seats, and when they do it's usually 1 seat, which from reading this forum AS cannot see, which means they can't book it. No point holding out for CX F till the last minute, when there's a good possibility it will not open up. I'm going to see if I can burn my AS miles on my return from SE Asia on JL.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 11:12 pm

Echoing previous posts, there is still a huge discrepancy to what BA shows and what AS sees for CX awards. I called to book a business class award on CX through Alaska with both legs showing 5 available seats on BA.com. Initially one leg wasn't showing availability in business but I gave the exact dates and flights and asked the rep to try it, and it ended up showing 1 available on each leg once that was inputted on Alaska's side (versus 5 on BA).
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Same issue as above. 5 J (and Y is open) showing available on BA EWR-HKG, AS doesn't see availability in either cabin. Called twice.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: Delta, Alaska Air, & BA
Originally Posted by dguruswamy
Okay this is my final post, as I've given up trying to get a CX award using AS miles. Checked on BA.com and saw five (5) business class seats available from EWR to SIN on August 8. Called Alaska and get this they saw no business class seats, but they could see premium economy seats which BA.com showed as sold out. Went ahead and took advantage of the 40% bonus for transferring MR to BA and topped up my Avios account and booked the itinerary using Avios. Sure it's 125K vs 50K, but what use is a 50k award if you can't use it?

I was checking to see how close in availability was looking on QF and this time of year, CX does not open up very many F seats, and when they do it's usually 1 seat, which from reading this forum AS cannot see, which means they can't book it. No point holding out for CX F till the last minute, when there's a good possibility it will not open up. I'm going to see if I can burn my AS miles on my return from SE Asia on JL.
I just booked one F LAX-HGK and one J LAX-HKG for June 2018. Alaska's availability matched BA's exactly. I was looking at several days and seats were there as BA showed.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by dguruswamy

Same here. Just rang Alaska.

For 9 Mar 2018, CX798, CX792 and CX884 are all wide open in PE but Alaska can't see anything.

For 23 Mar 2018, CX889 (YVR-HKG) shows 4J seats on ba. Alaska can't see any space. I even tried 22 Mar and 23 Mar 2018 CX889 (JFK-YVR-HKG) showing 3J and 4J on ba respectively. Alaska can't see them as well.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:25 am

Just called again and went through two full weeks in Feb'18 for EWR-HKG, not a single J seat. Most days are showing at least 1 available on BA. The particular date I was looking at had 4J...
Old Aug 2, 2017, 11:46 am

Hi -

Remember that CX is tiering availability. First for AM, then more restricted availability for OW (and only saver space) and then finally even more restricted for non-OW (such as AS).

For years now I have accepted that the tradeoff for using AS miles on CX in TPAC F/J is that you are basically going standby; that is, they generally won't release additional space beyond any initial allotment until a few days before departure. The closest times I have had are (1) 18 hours before departure on a new reservation and (2) on a cabin change on the same flight, I literally got AS to book the change as I was boarding a QX flight to YVR.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Just called again and went through two full weeks in Feb'18 for EWR-HKG, not a single J seat. Most days are showing at least 1 available on BA. The particular date I was looking at had 4J...

Have you confirmed the AS agent is using this workaround for flights near midnight?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28160974-post748.html
Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

Remember that CX is tiering availability. First for AM, then more restricted availability for OW (and only saver space) and then finally even more restricted for non-OW (such as AS).

For years now I have accepted that the tradeoff for using AS miles on CX in TPAC F/J is that you are basically going standby; that is, they generally won't release additional space beyond any initial allotment until a few days before departure. The closest times I have had are (1) 18 hours before departure on a new reservation and (2) on a cabin change on the same flight, I literally got AS to book the change as I was boarding a QX flight to YVR.
Has this reduced CX availability using AS miles been going on for many years?

I suppose it's fair tradeoff for being 20k miles cheaper in J compared to AA.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by hightide
Has this reduced CX availability using AS miles been going on for many years?

I suppose it's fair tradeoff for being 20k miles cheaper in J compared to AA.
The AS issues predate CX's tiering of awards. Can't say it hasn't made it worse, but tiering was not the initial catalyst.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Have you confirmed the AS agent is using this workaround for flights near midnight?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28160974-post748.html
I haven't tried that but that seems to be a solution to when the agent can't even see the flight. They both saw the flight today and said there was 1Y open, which is just a percentage of what BA is showing for the flight.

I'll try calling later and see if having them do the above helps at all but I have a feeling it's a general lack of availability. When I booked the trip initially the agent couldn't even find matched availability on daytime JFK-HKG flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.