Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
^

Now that's using your options...

(I honestly don't think NH F is a downgrade from CX F at all. Maybe the lounges aren't as sexy but the onboard product is nice or nicer.)
The CX lounges in HKG are great and part of it is I just want a taste of China again. I'm sure I won't suffer in ANA by any means. Knock on wood the award doesn't get booked before my points finish their transfer
Old May 12, 2017, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Red259
I ended up changing my alaska mile booking to for JFK-NRT-BKK on JAL to include a layover in Tokyo for a few days and then flying on to Hanoi in what looks like a nice business class product. I figure then I can work my way down vietnam and move across SE asia that way. I am in the process of trying to book ANA out of SIN-JFK via krisflyer. Waiting for the points to transfer over and my game plan to work my way down to SIN and see if maybe either SQ suites opens up to JFK or if CX F becomes available.

If I can book CX F with a layover in HKG (do they have J service on CX from SIN to HKG?) I'd rather do that using the alaska miles and then just redeposit my SQ miles for a future redemption to Europe. While I initially was considering skipping SIN it seems like an ideal place to end, due to the number of options out of there to give me flexibility to switch to CX at last minute and also because it seems to be the only route that ANA has First class on going from SE Asia to NRT.
Vast majority of CX SIN-HKG is regional J product. They have started flying the A350 with long haul J but specific flight varies from day-to-day -- and when I looked at flights a couple months ago for a date in April there was plenty of J awards on all flights except the one operated by an A350!! Occasionally they will put a 777 with long haul F/J cabins but they are few and far between. CX are also known to swap equipment on their regional flights at short notice.

If looking at *A alternatives, consider EvaAir (BR) they have good service SIN-TPE-JFK. They do not have F cabin but their J is pretty good.

DAK
Old May 14, 2017, 3:04 am

Miles finally made it into my SQ account so I just booked my ANA F award from SIN to NYC so now I have a way in and out. If CX SIN to NYC opens up I'll probably switch to that to save on the fuel/taxes which came out to around $290, not to mention it will save me miles. Still its nice to know I have a way back
Old May 14, 2017, 10:14 am

Does starting a dummy booking on CXs website to see the seat map have an immediate effect on CX reducing number of award seats?

I've been looking at an intra-Asia segment on CX and the number of award seats available seems to fluctuate by the minute or disappear altogether then come back days later. Meanwhile seat map remains the same so I don't think anyone else is booking it.
Old May 14, 2017, 8:46 pm
Suspended

How is a date change on an CX Award processed? Is a new award made first, then the old one released or is the date on the old one just changed?
Old May 14, 2017, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
How is a date change on an CX Award processed? Is a new award made first, then the old one released or is the date on the old one just changed?
What should happen is that the new flights would be booked into the same record (PNR). You would then (for a short period) have duplicate bookings. Once the new flights are confirmed by the carrier (should be almost immediate) the old flights would be canceled and your PNR would be sent off to have the ticket reissued. You will get a new ticket number for the new flights.

In the old days tickets could be endorsed with just a date change. In the really old days this could be done by applying a sticker over the date field on the paper ticket and stamping the ticket with some ID from the issuing authority (a travel agent - remember them). Now-a-days no such thing as this, eTickets are completely reissued "in exchange for <old eTicket number>"

DAK
Old May 14, 2017, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dkerr
What should happen is that the new flights would be booked into the same record (PNR). You would then (for a short period) have duplicate bookings. Once the new flights are confirmed by the carrier (should be almost immediate) the old flights would be canceled and your PNR would be sent off to have the ticket reissued. You will get a new ticket number for the new flights.

In the old days tickets could be endorsed with just a date change. In the really old days this could be done by applying a sticker over the date field on the paper ticket and stamping the ticket with some ID from the issuing authority (a travel agent - remember them). Now-a-days no such thing as this, eTickets are completely reissued "in exchange for <old eTicket number>"

DAK
Thanks. I assume this means that no mileage transactions would take place?
Old May 15, 2017, 11:50 am

Do they allow singapore to hk to Europe on one ticket ?
Old May 15, 2017, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by albertsworld
Do they allow singapore to hk to Europe on one ticket ?
Read the wiki at the top of every page of the thread.

The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones.
This will be two awards (intra-Asia and HK-Europe). Might be able to get it on one ticket, but the cost in miles will be two awards.
Old May 17, 2017, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Once again, BA/QF see 4J - AS sees nothing (YYZ-HKG)
*sigh*
Old May 17, 2017, 6:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rankourabu
*sigh*
HUACA
Old May 17, 2017, 7:18 pm

Is it silly for me to switch to Cx F if it opens up for a SIN-NYC flight with layover in HKG if I already have a redemption on ANA F for SIN-NRT-JFK all in F with $290 in fees? I'm just wondering if CX F would be a huge step up. Obviously the first class lounges in HKG are outstanding and I was at The Pier shortly after it opened and have not found a lounge to match that anywhere yet. I used the first class ANA F lounge when I had a suites class on SQ out of Tokyo and it was nice but not near the level of the CX lounges and HKG has some great food.
Old May 17, 2017, 7:27 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question

Originally Posted by rankourabu
*sigh*
What's the Flight #/Date?
Old May 17, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Red259
Is it silly for me to switch to Cx F if it opens up for a SIN-NYC flight with layover in HKG if I already have a redemption on ANA F for SIN-NRT-JFK all in F with $290 in fees? I'm just wondering if CX F would be a huge step up. Obviously the first class lounges in HKG are outstanding and I was at The Pier shortly after it opened and have not found a lounge to match that anywhere yet. I used the first class ANA F lounge when I had a suites class on SQ out of Tokyo and it was nice but not near the level of the CX lounges and HKG has some great food.
Some of that you won't avoid. US has $60 in taxes, HKG is $60 in taxes, $12.50 is partner award fee. Some of your $290 is NRT/SIN taxes too.

I wouldn't be spending time on my vacation doing HUACA with AS phone reps and checking EF every day just to save a hundred or two if I had a real swank ride. My time on vacation has value too. NH is really really nice even in J so it is not like you will suffer in F. Also CX on the shorthaul segment is good chance to be mediocre regional J. Up to you though.
Old May 17, 2017, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Some of that you won't avoid. US has $60 in taxes, HKG is $60 in taxes, $12.50 is partner award fee. Some of your $290 is NRT/SIN taxes too.

I wouldn't be spending time on my vacation doing HUACA with AS phone reps and checking EF every day just to save a hundred or two if I had a real swank ride. My time on vacation has value too. NH is really really nice even in J so it is not like you will suffer in F. Also CX on the shorthaul segment is good chance to be mediocre regional J. Up to you though.
Yea, the points you make are valid, but one other thing that I forgot to mention is that I could use those SQ points on a suites redemption to europe in the future. Maybe there would be really strong Alaska redemption to europe in lieu of that though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.